What's the Point of Having a (Slippery) Glass Back?

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
This whole idea that glass is the only material that will allow wireless charging is so dumb that I had to chime in. You do realize that even though its glass, placing a thick otterbox case on the phone now gives the phone 2 layers to penetrate in glass and rubber to wireless charge, yet the phones still seem to wireless charge without a problem. So enlighten me as to why the back of the phone could not have just been a grippy rubber or plastic and still been able to wireless charge since its only a single layer of plastic and not a glass back as well as a plastic case. Just ridiculous whoever came up with this ideology.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I've already dropped my S8 once, and, just to reaffirm my trust in the universe, is there a rational reason for making the back glass? Note 4 had rubberized plastic on the back and while it maybe didn't exude as premium a vibe as S8, the thing stuck to your hand and was a pleasure to handle.
Is Samsung being logical or trendy?

Yes s7 edge was very slippery...but to my suprise G6 having a glass back it not slippery at all...G6 has done a good job..using G6 naked since 4 days no issue

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
This whole idea that glass is the only material that will allow wireless charging is so dumb that I had to chime in. You do realize that even though its glass, placing a thick otterbox case on the phone now gives the phone 2 layers to penetrate in glass and rubber to wireless charge, yet the phones still seem to wireless charge without a problem. So enlighten me as to why the back of the phone could not have just been a grippy rubber or plastic and still been able to wireless charge since its only a single layer of plastic and not a glass back as well as a plastic case. Just ridiculous whoever came up with this ideology.

We've already discussed this 2 pages ago. Check it out.

ethbow

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
I think they would love for you to buy a case. It's just one more thing that they can produce and make money off of. It is really good to have, though, so im definitely not complaining :D

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
We've already discussed this 2 pages ago. Check it out.
And whatever it's wrong. My note 3 w plastic sammy charging back wirelessly charges fine. That charging back is plastic and I have a thick plastic case. Charges great. Glass is pretty period. Plastic is better.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't think so but I guess that's an opinion. I see no advantage besides appearance.

Appearance means a lot. People like to devalue it because plastic certainly is more durable. But I like beautiful phones, and the S8 and LG are two of the best looking phones I've ever held.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Appearance means a lot. People like to devalue it because plastic certainly is more durable. But I like beautiful phones, and the S8 and LG are two of the best looking phones I've ever held.
I didn't demean looks. I simply said plastic is better functionally in every way except looks. This business about glass being better for charging or reception is silly. I suppose you could argue glass is a better heat conductor and is not flammable but u slap a case on it and both are irrelevant and so are looks.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I didn't demean looks. I simply said plastic is better functionally in every way except looks. This business about glass being better for charging or reception is silly. I suppose you could argue glass is a better heat conductor and is not flammable but u slap a case on it and both are irrelevant and so are looks.

Just because I put a case on a phone doesn't mean I will accept it looking like crap (S5). I go back and forth between a case and naked, depending on the situation, so it's not irrelevant to me.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Not just looks. It has a more solid feel. Plastic has more flex to it.

I agree that plastic is more functional. It is easier to hold and deal with shock better. But to say that looks become irrelevant with a case is also wrong. I can take the case off my beautiful phone when I want it to be pretty. I can add different levels of cases for different levels of protection.

The reality is that people don't just buy stuff for function. I care what my couch looks like. I care how it feels. I'm sure a plastic couch would last longer, and I don't care. I don't much care what my lawnmower looks like. Nor my hammer. I do care what my dishes look like. And my glasses.

People value more than just function, and only they can decide where that balance lies for them. Quite honestly, I think it is hard to justify buying an $800 phone based on function. The cost/benefit does not make sense from a functional point of view. But we are not just buying a device. We are buying the experience of using it. For many people, the appearance and feel of a device is worth money and compromise.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mainly for two reasons...

1) People complained and ridiculed Samsung for using plastic when they did .. So they updated

2) Wireless Charging

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
"What's the Point of Having a (Slippery) Glass Back?"

Because it looks pleasing to the eye. I personally wish that more manufacturers would focus on durable, stylish plastics, or removable metal backs like the LG V20.

zigaliro

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
So im the only one that prefers Note 4's back over the glass back? Its pretty nice, and its harder to scratch and less slippery.

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Just get some of those gloves NFL receivers use, cut out the fingertips., and go naked.
Kidding. Love how it looks and feels except that feeling that it's going to fly out of my hands like a squeezed, wet, watermelon seed.
The Spigen ultra hybrid in midnight black is very slim and keeps the color theme well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc