08-04-2017 12:56 AM
44 12
tools
    You can only use the Xfinity Mobile service with an S8 that they sell you with is a MAJOR negative to the service. You can't bring your own phone. That will keep many of us away.
    On another forum, one of the early adopters (was using an employees mobile account) claims that you can use your own device -- though you do have to initially buy one of the Xfinity phones to get the line started. He says that, after activating the line, he's been able to move the SIM card to other phones, and he is now using a Note 6.

Basically, if you have a phone you want to keep using that is compatible with Verizon, he says to buy the X Power, as the cheapest option, and then you can switch to your own phone once you've activated.
    Techno-guy likes this.
    05-18-2017 01:46 AM
    Xfinity Mobile also has other phones you can buy. IPhones, from 5 to 7 plus, Samsung S7, S7 edge, S8, S8+, and A couple others.
    05-18-2017 05:49 AM
    Yeah, I do the same. Still trying to find out more about the security of the Xfinity Hotspots when the phjone is connected to it.
    There isn't any. It is an open wifi connection so no security. You have to use a VPN yourself.. unless the phones software turns a VPN on by itself (kind of like project fi).
    05-18-2017 06:29 AM
    You can only use the Xfinity Mobile service with an S8 that they sell you with is a MAJOR negative to the service. You can't bring your own phone. That will keep many of us away.
    Exactly. You have to buy their phone and have home service or no go.

I'll just stick with actual Verizon. :P.
    05-18-2017 06:30 AM
    The service has plans for bring your own phones. It's just not there yet but on the slack channel there has been discussion.
    I'm a month into the service on my wife's I device, and about 3 weeks with the S8+. No issues with service at all. I usually keep Xfinity wifi off but it works very well on all my customers modems if I do choose to turn it on.
    I do miss my unlimited streaming on T-Mobile but I downloaded most music I need on a 128gb SD card. Regardless no regrets switching.
    Harlemknight likes this.
    05-18-2017 08:15 AM
    On another forum, one of the early adopters (was using an employees mobile account) claims that you can use your own device -- though you do have to initially buy one of the Xfinity phones to get the line started. He says that, after activating the line, he's been able to move the SIM card to other phones, and he is now using a Note 6.

Basically, if you have a phone you want to keep using that is compatible with Verizon, he says to buy the X Power, as the cheapest option, and then you can switch to your own phone once you've activated.

That's not saying much considering the note 6 was never publicly released. Samsung said they skipped there number. Was this some kind of prototype?
    05-18-2017 03:41 PM
    That's not saying much considering the note 6 was never publicly released. Samsung said they skipped there number. Was this some kind of prototype?
    Sorry, my fault. He has a Galaxy S6 on one line and a Galaxy S6 Edge on the other. For some reason I recalled him having a Note (perhaps the Note 5) on one of the lines but remembered the 6 correctly from his most recent posts.
    05-18-2017 04:12 PM
    05-19-2017 09:25 AM
    I'm pretty happy so far. Good data speeds. Phone has almost no bloatware. It asks you during setup if you want to install some xfinity apps. You can choose not to. Also got a software update right out of the box.
    05-19-2017 10:43 AM
    I'm pretty happy so far. Good data speeds. Phone has almost no bloatware. It asks you during setup if you want to install some xfinity apps. You can choose not to. Also got a software update right out of the box.
    Do you have a Verizon phone? I'd be interested, if you do and are willing, to see if you can get the Xfinity service to fully work in a non-Xfinity phone.
    05-19-2017 01:15 PM
    Do you have a Verizon phone? I'd be interested, if you do and are willing, to see if you can get the Xfinity service to fully work in a non-Xfinity phone.
    I don't have another phone at the moment. The model number is SM-G955U.
    05-19-2017 01:25 PM
    it's a great phone i be had mine since June but it seems to mot work great on my xfinity internet service when I'm home and xfinity hasn't either activated video calling feature yet does any of you all's video calling work
    07-25-2017 04:43 PM
    I signed up for Xfinitymobile June 21 and got the Samsung S8+. Unfortunately, I have not had a smooth activation since they shipped my phone without a SIM card. After a series of other problems initiated by the absence of a SIM card, my phone has been "deactivated" since July 17, and since it has been greater than 30 days now, they will not accept the phone in return. There is no known fix date, and "tier 3" is working on the problem but not communicating with me. I was a Verizon customer before, so my question is: Does anyone know if the Xfinitymobile Samsung S8+ is "unlocked", will it function properly with a Verizon account. I called Verizon to ask, and the lady said basically "maybe, maybe not". She was not a technical person, and I was wondering if anyone with a stronger background and knowledge can shed some light on the subject.
    07-28-2017 10:32 PM
    I signed up for Xfinitymobile June 21 and got the Samsung S8+. Unfortunately, I have not had a smooth activation since they shipped my phone without a SIM card. After a series of other problems initiated by the absence of a SIM card, my phone has been "deactivated" since July 17, and since it has been greater than 30 days now, they will not accept the phone in return. There is no known fix date, and "tier 3" is working on the problem but not communicating with me. I was a Verizon customer before, so my question is: Does anyone know if the Xfinitymobile Samsung S8+ is "unlocked", will it function properly with a Verizon account. I called Verizon to ask, and the lady said basically "maybe, maybe not". She was not a technical person, and I was wondering if anyone with a stronger background and knowledge can shed some light on the subject.
    From what others have stated, the S8 is the unlocked version of the phone and should work on any of the other US carriers. It appears that all the Android phones, at least currently, are the unlocked version, and the iPhones are actually locked to XM (or possibly to Verizon). I've also heard that XM will unlock the iPhones on request, with the caveat that the customer service rep you talk to knows what he is doing and has the knowledge to get the phone unlocked.
    07-29-2017 07:50 PM
    From what others have stated, the S8 is the unlocked version of the phone and should work on any of the other US carriers. It appears that all the Android phones, at least currently, are the unlocked version, and the iPhones are actually locked to XM (or possibly to Verizon). I've also heard that XM will unlock the iPhones on request, with the caveat that the customer service rep you talk to knows what he is doing and has the knowledge to get the phone unlocked.
    I think my S8+ is locked, because when I spoke with a "supervisor" for support at XM, he said that the phone could be unlocked. I requested the unlock code, and he said he would send me the codes with instructions by email, but the email has yet to appear. When I put the IMEI number of my phone, and my wife's phone into the Verizon web page under "Bring your own phone", neither phone was reported as compatible.
    07-31-2017 09:58 AM
    I think my S8+ is locked, because when I spoke with a "supervisor" for support at XM, he said that the phone could be unlocked. I requested the unlock code, and he said he would send me the codes with instructions by email, but the email has yet to appear. When I put the IMEI number of my phone, and my wife's phone into the Verizon web page under "Bring your own phone", neither phone was reported as compatible.
    I know others have reported their S8 was unlocked. I'd suggest trying to put another carrier's SIM card in the phone; if nothing else pull one from a friend's phone for a minute. I suspect at least part of the issue with doing a SIM check on Verizon is that they show the phone on their network already.
    08-03-2017 04:51 PM
    I was going to move to xfinity mobile to save some money but the recent rumors of them in talks with sprint made me decide not to as some areas I travel to sprint is just terrible. I did not want to risk them switching to sprint mnvo from Verizon. I ended up moving my verizon account's two lines from grandfathered unlimited data plans to a plan with my sister on the new verizon unlimited plan and still saving some good money after the old unlimited data plan price hikes.

Hopefully comcast figures their stuff out as I have heard of a bunch of issues people have been having trying to switch over. I can see why they do not have the byod plans yet as they still have kinks with their service with just the xfinity "branded" phones.
    08-03-2017 06:59 PM
    Here's how it works: You have to have one of Xfinity services to avoid the 10 dollar line charge. You can toggle a switch so that you will always connect to Xfinity hotspots when in range. Or you can leave it off in which case you will be connected to Verizon 4GLTE. You can pay by the gig or you can pay for unlimited.
    Are the hotspots secure or open?

Another concern is customer service which is apparently nonexistent. Verizon is pretty good with tech questions on the phone and if you go to the store there are some knowledgeable people there. Sounds like the Xfinity Mobile store will be the 2 ladies behind the glass who hand out X1 boxes all day.
    08-03-2017 09:02 PM
    They have already launched in some areas and for some longtime customers.
    08-04-2017 12:56 AM
44 12