New S8+ users: How to BLOCK updates & save the Bixby button to remap

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Finally bought an S8+. The long battery life was a big reason to upgrade. But, if possible, a remappable Bixby Button was a nice feature too. The latest updates disabled the remapping abilities so it was on it save the Bixby button before an update could come in.

So the first thing I did upon opening my nice n shiny S8+ was to put it in airplane mode. You may or may not know, even without wifi or a sim card in, if your phone is on it will automatically update!

2nd step I did was briefly connect to wifi, download Bk disabler, activate it, and turn wifi back off. It was $1.50 but that's very cheap for such a helpful feature. I couldn't find a free version quickly in the play store.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...nkunsoft.packagedisabler&hl=en&token=ISuTvLFr

3rd, searched "update" and checked the all boxes.

I used smart switch to transfer over the original Bxactions app I downloaded on my old phone. Not sure if the newer version will still work as originally intended: single tap, double tap, long press. If the new app update doesn't work for 3 different functions, consider emailing the developer.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.jamworks.bxactions&hl=en&token=xh7rPjSR

Voila, no updates or update notifications. And the Bixby button can be remapped. Love it!

No thank you to ruining my phone with updates. I have no complaints that an update can help.

Did anybody block the update to save your Bixby Button so you can remap it?

I feel bad for the people that had their S8 updated. I am guessing you can reinstall the original ROM via Odin to get it back.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: New S8+ users: How to BLOCK updates & save the Bixby button to remap

I'd rather have the latest security updates. Bixby sits unused and not even set up on my phone. I've learned to just ignore it.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: New S8+ users: How to BLOCK updates & save the Bixby button to remap

I used the remap tool when I first got my s8Plus but they soon patched it. I didn't even bother moving to the next app that was still able to remap it. It's not worth the effort to be honest. I'd much rather have regular updates and better security than an extra shortcut key and Bixby will be good once it's up and running properly I reckon anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy