Having a hard time - switching from iPhone

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
The reason I bought this phone is because I owned an iPhone 6 which was 2.5 years old and started to wear down. I LOVE the way it looks, thats the biggest reason I bought it. But I hate some 'android' or 'samsung' things that I miss having on the iPhone. I'll list them:

• Camera preview slow!
  • Notifications don't light up screen (third party app needed)
  • iOS emojis look way better (knew this before though)
  • Can't use emojis on quickmessage

The top one is the one I hate the most. I use snapchat a lot and it was so fluid on iPhone like it was like looking at a mirror (fps wise, not quality). But on this phone the camera preview is SO SLOW. It bothers me to hell. Now I accidently opened Facebook camera today which didn't had the preview camera lagg and ALL other 3rd party apps I tried did lagg. I wish the snapchat camera was the same as Facebook's.

If you get a notification the screen doesn't light up, there is a workaround by downloading a 3rd party app but just wish they had implemented it in the settings.

God, the Samsung emojis look awful compared to Apple's. Well, I knew this before but still I hate it .. I heard there is a workaround by rooting the phone but its my first week of owning an android phone and don't feel like breaking it already, haven't looked into it much though.

When watching a movie on your phone and you get a message and want to quickly reply while just keeping the movie open you can slide down the notification and do a quick reply just like on iOS. But the downside is that you can't use emojis in the quick reply which is a huge bummer for me because I use them in almost all my messages.

Well, these were my biggest issues with the new Galaxy S8. For the rest, I really like the phone though. If there are any solutions for my problems, make sure to leave a comment. I would greatly appreciate it :)

echo_808

May 12, 2013
Visit site
To fix emoji issues. Textra (message app) lets you choose emojis (your case ios).

But Textra doesn't have the screen flash you want.

Of all the apps I've used I haven't see the screen flash option.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
for the emojis can you not access them from the keyboard while responding to the quick reply. pretty sure i can. i use the gboard keyboard.

also not sure why having to add a third party app to do something is a problem. If it solves your issue then what is the big deal. i understand it would be better if it was baked in, but as long as there is a solution then no harm no foul.

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
To fix emoji issues. Textra (message app) lets you choose emojis (your case ios).

But Textra doesn't have the screen flash you want.

Of all the apps I've used I haven't see the screen flash option.

I tried that but your keyboard still shows the standard samsung emojis, so you also have to switch out the keyboard I guess. Maybe I'll do a root and switch out the icons for emoji.

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
I don't use camera preview. But I did test it out. Took ~2 sec to pop up.

Maybe you understood me wrong. What I mean with camera preview is the screen you see before taking a picture. Just when you open the camera app and start aiming your camera at your target. THAT screen is really slow FPS for me (not in facebook camera app).

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
for the emojis can you not access them from the keyboard while responding to the quick reply. pretty sure i can. i use the gboard keyboard.

also not sure why having to add a third party app to do something is a problem. If it solves your issue then what is the big deal. i understand it would be better if it was baked in, but as long as there is a solution then no harm no foul.

With the standard one you can't sadly. Or atleast I can't, the emoji icon is blurred out (not pressable). Should check out the gboard, thanks for the tip.

No true, but don't apps like that slow your device down?

echo_808

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I tried that but your keyboard still shows the standard samsung emojis, so you also have to switch out the keyboard I guess. Maybe I'll do a root and switch out the icons for emoji.
071b2c116ec130d8af1ec4f3cf73f0ab.jpg

It's within Textra settings. Yeah it shows the default ones but when texted it shows ios (or supposedly it's ios emojis).

Edit: yeah stock don't work...doesnt come out as ios.

Pic above is using gboard. So if you switch to board, that's how it'll be.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The reason I bought this phone is because I owned an iPhone 6 which was 2.5 years old and started to wear down. I LOVE the way it looks, thats the biggest reason I bought it. But I hate some 'android' or 'samsung' things that I miss having on the iPhone. I'll list them:

• Camera preview slow!

The top one is the one I hate the most. I use snapchat a lot and it was so fluid on iPhone like it was like looking at a mirror (fps wise, not quality). But on this phone the camera preview is SO SLOW. It bothers me to hell. Now I accidently opened Facebook camera today which didn't had the preview camera lagg and ALL other 3rd party apps I tried did lagg. I wish the snapchat camera was the same as Facebook's.

If you get a notification the screen doesn't light up, there is a workaround by downloading a 3rd party app but just wish they had implemented it in the settings.

God, the Samsung emojis look awful compared to Apple's. Well, I knew this before but still I hate it .. I heard there is a workaround by rooting the phone but its my first week of owning an android phone and don't feel like breaking it already, haven't looked into it much though.

When watching a movie on your phone and you get a message and want to quickly reply while just keeping the movie open you can slide down the notification and do a quick reply just like on iOS. But the downside is that you can't use emojis in the quick reply which is a huge bummer for me because I use them in almost all my messages.

Well, these were my biggest issues with the new Galaxy S8. For the rest, I really like the phone though. If there are any solutions for my problems, make sure to leave a comment. I would greatly appreciate it :)

Just out of interest which app did you use to light up the screen for notifications as I've been looking for something similar for the same reason?

echo_808

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you understood me wrong. What I mean with camera preview is the screen you see before taking a picture. Just when you open the camera app and start aiming your camera at your target. THAT screen is really slow FPS for me (not in facebook camera app).
Sorry can't help you here...mines is quick.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

• Camera preview slow!

Don't be afraid to use textra for your texting app, it works good, one of the best ones out there.

I don't know how it is with Apple, it's been awhile, but with Android just because it's third party doesn't mean it's bad.

By the way, on textra.. The screen will light up the screen when you get a message, just turn wake screen up on. Textra is probably the best texting app and it works flawless, it's free if you don't mind advertising on the settings page, or pay for it and get rid of the ads. This is one app I push for people to just pay for it, enjoy it without ads. And the developer keeps it update.

Android is about customizing, you can make the phone the way you want it. Check Nova launcher out, that's another third party app that can make your phone much more customized. Nova goes on my phone first. Yes, some third party apps are buggy, but Nova and textra aren't one of them.

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Don't be afraid to use textra for your texting app, it works good, one of the best ones out there.

I don't know how it is with Apple, it's been awhile, but with Android just because it's third party doesn't mean it's bad.

By the way, on textra.. The screen will light up the screen when you get a message, just turn wake screen up on. Textra is probably the best texting app and it works flawless, it's free if you don't mind advertising on the settings page, or pay for it and get rid of the ads. This is one app I push for people to just pay for it, enjoy it without ads. And the developer keeps it update.

Android is about customizing, you can make the phone the way you want it. Check Nova launcher out, that's another third party app that can make your phone much more customized. Nova goes on my phone first. Yes, some third party apps are buggy, but Nova and textra aren't one of them.

Checked out textra already, but switched back because I love the default messages application. Whatever floats your boat, right? Will definetly check out Nova though, looks interesting.

Have you ever rooted your phone to change the emoji's to the iOS onces? Just curious if its flawless once you are done with it, will definetly put the effort into that then.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Checked out textra already, but switched back because I love the default messages application. Whatever floats your boat, right? Will definetly check out Nova though, looks interesting.

Have you ever rooted your phone to change the emoji's to the iOS onces? Just curious if its flawless once you are done with it, will definetly put the effort into that then.
I stopped rooting my phone awhile back. Just seems when I rooted or did a jailbreak on iPhone it just led to more tweaking and fixing small flaws caused by the intrusion.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I stopped rooting my phone awhile back. Just seems when I rooted or did a jailbreak on iPhone it just led to more tweaking and fixing small flaws caused by the intrusion.

I personally stopped a long time ago since I didn't really see a need anymore. Both systems have matured to include a lot of things I used to root / JB for.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

• Camera preview slow!

Just throwing this out there.....
If the iPhone does everything you need it to then why switch? The iphone 8 from everything I have read should be awesome. I will get one to go along with my Pixel XL ( maybe the Pixel 2 XL by then) S8+ (may be the Note 8 by then) but i think you get my drift.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney