05-22-2017 06:34 PM
145 12345 ...
tools
    You may not care about updates or understand why it's a big deal... and honestly most iPhone/iOS users or pixel/nexus users will never know what's in the updates anyways or understand why either because their phone is running smoothly as always. But it's because they get those updates regularly that keeps their OS up to date fixing the latest batch of bugs found to keep it running as best it can like the day it came out of the box. Or fix bugs found when running apps. It's to fix new bugs or conflicts found when those apps get updated. Of fix bugs found new brand new apps come to market that people want on their phones.

It's why people can be rocking a 3 year old iPhone 6/6s or Nexus 5 or 6 or Pixel and just diehard fans because it probably runs as smooth or issue free as when they bought it and have the same OS version the new phones have with the latest UI and features to come from Apple or Google and run the latest apps.

S8... great phone out of box. But without reliable updates from Google or Samsung... who knows how it ages and runs after time. Google needs to really take that part of the equation away from manufacturers and carriers and be able to update their OS when needed.

For the life of me, I will never ever understand this Obsession about getting the newest update without even knowing what the update is. It's like me saying I definitely want to buy the 2019 Ford Mustang without even knowing anything about it. I think people just like the idea of updates comma even though many times, the updates bring a whole bunch of problems with them.
    05-03-2017 11:16 AM
    You may not care about updates or understand why it's a big deal... and honestly most iPhone/iOS users or pixel/nexus users will never know what's in the updates anyways or understand why either because their phone is running smoothly as always. But it's because they get those updates regularly that keeps their OS up to date fixing the latest batch of bugs found to keep it running as best it can like the day it came out of the box. Or fix bugs found when running apps. It's to fix new bugs or conflicts found when those apps get updated. Of fix bugs found new brand new apps come to market that people want on their phones.

It's why people can be rocking a 3 year old iPhone 6/6s or Nexus 5 or 6 or Pixel and just diehard fans because it probably runs as smooth or issue free as when they bought it and have the same OS version the new phones have with the latest UI and features to come from Apple or Google and run the latest apps.

S8... great phone out of box. But without reliable updates from Google or Samsung... who knows how it ages and runs after time. Google needs to really take that part of the equation away from manufacturers and carriers and be able to update their OS when needed.
    No they don't. Taking freedom away from manufacturers is a slippery slope I prefer not to go down.

People are free to buy the phones that do what they like. Samsung isn't forcing anyone to buy their phones.
    05-03-2017 11:24 AM
    Mod Note

I am not sure what has gotten into everyone lately... The forums have been great since pre-orders were announced (even before that) but lately everyone is becoming pretty hostile and think discussing members, how they should post, and other things in threads is okay. It isn't -- That is why the report button is on every post. If you have an issue with a member simple hit report, explain your concerns to the moderators, and leave it be. We get notified and will take a look.

Everyone is allowed to post in the forums. This forum isn't just for praise of the S8 or S8 + -- pretty much like every section in this forum. Everyone can discuss the good and the bad of a device as much as they want. As long as it is done so in civil manner there shouldn't be any issues .. Just like there haven't been till lately. I would suggest everyone refresh themselves with the rules and see that we want everyone to have a good time on the forums so petty personal attacks and trolling really isn't needed.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/vol...uidelines.html

If you have any questions please send me a PM.

Thanks.
    sydneycooper1979 and DMP89145 like this.
    05-03-2017 11:24 AM
    That's the fault of Samsung not putting the proper effort necessary to optimize the OS update to their product.

If Google forcing an OS update on my phone means that Android O causes this phone to become crazy slow the way that updating my S7 Edge became crazy slow when it updated to Nougat, then no thanks. Save me from those people who want to save me.
    05-03-2017 11:31 AM
    This is your opinion. Maybe Google needs to force then there's not to produce ugly phones. Oh wait, then they would put their own pixel division out of business.
    I definitely don't want Google to take over updates for all OEM's, but can't agree that the Pixel is an ugly phone. The glass window thing is weird, but not necessarily ugly and the rest of the device looks great.
    05-03-2017 12:16 PM
    I definitely don't want Google to take over updates for all OEM's, but can't agree that the Pixel is an ugly phone. The glass window thing is weird, but not necessarily ugly and the rest of the device looks great.
    It's grown on me. I still like what Samsung and LG are doing better. I suspect the Pixel 2 will be better looking.
    05-03-2017 12:21 PM
    Here is a little sales data....the source in in the pic....
    this without the Galaxy S8/8+ sales data. So the numbers for Samsung will go up...
    DMP89145 likes this.
    05-03-2017 12:26 PM
    Well that would probably be left for separate but similarly titled discussion... The phone GOOGLE wants vs. the phone SAMSUNG wants

Maybe Google should make sure to optimize their update so that it works with their number 1 vendor's phones instead of constantly treating them like they're the enemy.
    05-03-2017 12:28 PM
    Here is a little sales data....the source in in the pic....
    this without the Galaxy S8/8+ sales data. So the numbers for Samsung will go up...
    http://images.techhive.com/images/ar...0224-large.jpg
    S8/S8+ are Q2, these numbers should be final. What's interesting here is that 1st and 2nd basically didn't change shipment volumes since last year, while everyone except for "other" went down substantially year over year.
    05-03-2017 12:29 PM
    It's grown on me. I still like what Samsung and LG are doing better. I suspect the Pixel 2 will be better looking.
    I think the Pixel 2 will have a better screen to bezel ratio. The bezels on my Pixel XL are huge compared to my S8+
    05-03-2017 12:30 PM
    This is your opinion.
    It's not an opinion. Samsung has a history of being slow with updates while Google and Apple comes out with consistent updates for the software.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    05-03-2017 12:30 PM
    Maybe Google should make sure to optimize their update so that it works with their number 1 vendor's phones instead of constantly treating them like they're the enemy.
    That's not how any of it works. Google creates the base and then everyone else takes the code and modifies it. Including Google, for the Pixels. The Android that all of the OEMs, Google, Samsung, HTC, etc. doesn't really look like anything we use.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    05-03-2017 12:31 PM
    S8/S8+ are Q2, these numbers should be final. What's interesting here is that 1st and 2nd basically didn't change shipment volumes since last year, while everyone except for "other" went down substantially year over year.
    Not correct...OPPO and Huawei showed BIG YOY sales increases.....
    05-03-2017 12:33 PM
    OMG I hope Google can make a prettier phone. I think it'd be hard to make an uglier phone lol.

If they can make a prettier phone and they can work out the distribution they can take more share and basically have more control in the direction of Android.

05-03-2017 12:38 PM
    The number to really take notice in that chart is the year-over-year change specifically for Huawei and OPPO and vivo. It affects Apple but not as much as Samsung because I believe they are taking from Android share more than Apple and don't see the double digit rate to slow down. Those companies are not going anywhere.

05-03-2017 12:41 PM
    lol my fault, I read it backwards. You're right, Apple slightly down, China way up and "others" slightly down.
    05-03-2017 12:43 PM
    The number to really take notice in that chart is the year-over-year change specifically for Huawei and OPPO and vivo. It affects Apple but not as much as Samsung because I believe they are taking from Android share more than Apple and don't see the double digit rate to slow down. Those companies are not going anywhere.
    Yep, Apple has basically given up on China for the time being.
    05-03-2017 12:44 PM
    Samsung is no longer making what I want - a flagship smartphone with a FLAT, rather than curved, display panel.
    Buy the G6
    05-03-2017 12:46 PM
    Buy the G6
    I did - as a secondary device. It'll arrive tomorrow!
    05-03-2017 12:47 PM
    They haven't given up but I do have to make a correction when I implied didn't affect Apple... yeah from earnings call yesterday their sales did slide in China... having a hard time competing with the those companies there.

Yep, Apple has basically given up on China for the time being.
    05-03-2017 12:48 PM
    The variety of options is part of what makes no perfect phone. If you want a flat display, you might lose the industry leading display. If you want a metal back, you're losing wireless charging, even though it's possible. If you want more internal storage, you're paying a premium for it. If you want great audio, you're losing out on this or that. Kinda sucks that there isn't one phone that does it all - but if there were, the other phones would have no reason to exist. Also doesn't help that we don't all want the same things from our phones. Some people want what oem A is doing while others hate that and want what B is doing. So we all buy the one that has the package of features that comes closest to our wish list. At least I hope that is what we're doing.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-03-2017 12:50 PM
    But they don't? They hand Android over as they give it to their phones -- then Samsung modifies. Google can't be held for how Samsung does the modifications since Google doesn't program those changes in.
    05-03-2017 01:03 PM
    Man... OPPO with their OnePlus 3/3T... one model per year, 25.6 million sales... with no carrier support!

I've said elsewhere 3T is one of the best flagship/flagship killers of the year for the price. All those others with minimum carrier support which mainly helps Samsung's numbers. If OPPO and others can get carrier support that would be something.

05-03-2017 01:03 PM
    Just saw this thread. I love Android and love my S8+ but I'm pretty sure no one was asking for 18.5:9 ratio or a curved screen or oddly placed FPS. Samsung markets just as well if not better than Apple.
    anon(634141) likes this.
    05-03-2017 01:04 PM
    Over the years I have swapped between Apple and Android for the simple reason that I use whatever device fits my needs at the time.

One thing I will say about Samsung is that they are usually first (or among the first) to innovate but that technology can be implemented in its infancy.

For instance, Iris scanning is pretty hit and miss for me and the Smart Lock is a royal pain in the posterior as it seems to lose the GPS lock on my home location, necessitating me 'pinging' the map to get it to lock on again. I'm not saying that I am representative of everyone with these comments, by the way, just that on my iPhone, things just work well all the time and on my Samsung I am tearing my hair out to find out what app or system process just used my text message notification to tell me something utterly irrelevant and usually unwanted.

Apple would only bring these things to market once they were usually 100% working perfectly but this would mean that it would be a year, two, three or more years after Samsung did, by which time the technology is old and people, myself included, are clamoring for new things.

IOS is a lot more robust because the apps don't have to compete with hundreds of different processor and screen combos like Android does. Also, the policed walled garden makes it harder (not impossible) for garbage to be thrown in.

This post seems like I am a typical Apple fanboy. No, I love my Samsung S8+ far more than my iPhone 7 plus. I prefer the size, the screen, the expandable memory, the drag-and-drop interface between PC, the lack of iTunes (god I hate iTunes), the fact that it has a headphone jack and many other things that my iPhone simply cannot do. I swapped back to my iPhone for a day or two to see if I was making a mistake in swapping over. In my hands now it just reminds me of a Fisher-Price child's toy. It's big and cumbersome and the screen feels dull and lifeless. I know this is far from the truth but compared to the S8+, those are my perceptions.

The two ecosystems are for different people though. iOS is for people that just want a phone that has email, internet, text etc etc and they don't have to worry about it. Android is for people who want the same things but want a granular control over their device.

Both ecosystems are needed to keep the other one in check to a degree and I find the 'fandroid' vs 'iSheep' argument to be stultifying boring. If internet warriors really do hate on someone else for their choice of smartphone then I feel they have far bigger problems in their own life to worry about...
    05-03-2017 01:08 PM
145 12345 ...