The phone WE want vs. the phone THEY tell us we want...

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I was referring to the article that you went to, presumably because it was making the point you wanted to make. The premise of that article was completely off base in that it said that only Apple makes money in the smartphone space. This is clearly erroneous.

Apple was the only phone company making profits in Q3 2016. If you would've clicked on the hyperlink in the original article I posted, it would've explained that at length: Apple making 104% of the smartphone industry's profits in Q3 2016: BMO Capital Markets - Business Insider

Samsung's Note 7 fiasco virtually wiped out its profits last year: How much sales and revenue the exploding Galaxy Note 7 cost Samsung - Business Insider

But what does Business Insider know about business anyway?

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to provide you a reliable source below. Make sure you read past the headline, because the headline does say that in one quarter last year, Apple outsold Samsung. But it also says that this was bucking the trend , because generally Samsung outsells Apple, and the only quarter that Apple outsold Samsung last year was the fourth quarter after the Note 7 debacle. And taking the year as a whole, Samsung still outsold Apple despite the 4th quarter. https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/15/samsung-loses-market-share-to-apple-in-q4-2016/

9to5mac, a tech blog, is more reliable than Business Insider?

Market share does NOT equal profits. Samsung had more handsets out in the wild, but Apple had more than double of Samsung's profits because of the Note 7 fiasco.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
sales data show that in three out of four quarters last year, Samsung made the phone that more people wanted.

The 9to5Mac link said no such thing.

Where's the source of that assertion?

BTW, both companies are making phones people want to buy. Again, nobody said that nobody wanted to buy Samsung phones.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
the sales data show that in three out of four quarters last year, Samsung made the phone that more people wanted.

You're right on this point, however the S7 Edge and S7 weren't the sole drivers of that. IIRC they sold around 40 million units total, which is about 15% of their total sales. The other 85% is either midrange or budget devices or older devices, such as the Note 5, S6, S6 Edge, etc. The problem is we don't know how many were older flagships. Apple on the other hand, sold around 200 million devices, almost all of which were flagships, with some SE's and residual 5C sales in there for their midrangers. With the way these numbers are reported, it's almost impossible for us to know which individual devices are the best selling, however Apple is wining the flagship space while Samsung is winning overall.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
They are quoting Gartner, one of the definitive sources on smartphone sales. I think perhaps you forgot Indy Topic in this thread. The topic was never which company is making the most profit, the topic is which company makes the phone that more people want to buy. So market share certainly does reflected this reality.

Your original assertion was that Samsung was making more money than Apple, which isn't the case. If you need a refresher, you said that here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=796359&p=5798657&viewfull=1#post5798657

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If you are defining Flagship as the most expensive phone that they make, then you are probably correct. However, I would point out that there are Samsung models that probably outsell at least one iPhone model.

Yeah I wish we had the breakdown by model. The J series vs the S series vs the Note, etc by year.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
You may not care about updates or understand why it's a big deal... and honestly most iPhone/iOS users or pixel/nexus users will never know what's in the updates anyways or understand why either because their phone is running smoothly as always. But it's because they get those updates regularly that keeps their OS up to date fixing the latest batch of bugs found to keep it running as best it can like the day it came out of the box. Or fix bugs found when running apps. It's to fix new bugs or conflicts found when those apps get updated. Of fix bugs found new brand new apps come to market that people want on their phones.

It's why people can be rocking a 3 year old iPhone 6/6s or Nexus 5 or 6 or Pixel and just diehard fans because it probably runs as smooth or issue free as when they bought it and have the same OS version the new phones have with the latest UI and features to come from Apple or Google and run the latest apps.

S8... great phone out of box. But without reliable updates from Google or Samsung... who knows how it ages and runs after time. Google needs to really take that part of the equation away from manufacturers and carriers and be able to update their OS when needed.

For the life of me, I will never ever understand this Obsession about getting the newest update without even knowing what the update is. It's like me saying I definitely want to buy the 2019 Ford Mustang without even knowing anything about it. I think people just like the idea of updates comma even though many times, the updates bring a whole bunch of problems with them.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
You may not care about updates or understand why it's a big deal... and honestly most iPhone/iOS users or pixel/nexus users will never know what's in the updates anyways or understand why either because their phone is running smoothly as always. But it's because they get those updates regularly that keeps their OS up to date fixing the latest batch of bugs found to keep it running as best it can like the day it came out of the box. Or fix bugs found when running apps. It's to fix new bugs or conflicts found when those apps get updated. Of fix bugs found new brand new apps come to market that people want on their phones.

It's why people can be rocking a 3 year old iPhone 6/6s or Nexus 5 or 6 or Pixel and just diehard fans because it probably runs as smooth or issue free as when they bought it and have the same OS version the new phones have with the latest UI and features to come from Apple or Google and run the latest apps.

S8... great phone out of box. But without reliable updates from Google or Samsung... who knows how it ages and runs after time. Google needs to really take that part of the equation away from manufacturers and carriers and be able to update their OS when needed.

No they don't. Taking freedom away from manufacturers is a slippery slope I prefer not to go down.

People are free to buy the phones that do what they like. Samsung isn't forcing anyone to buy their phones.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mod Note

I am not sure what has gotten into everyone lately... The forums have been great since pre-orders were announced (even before that) but lately everyone is becoming pretty hostile and think discussing members, how they should post, and other things in threads is okay. It isn't -- That is why the report button is on every post. If you have an issue with a member simple hit report, explain your concerns to the moderators, and leave it be. We get notified and will take a look.

Everyone is allowed to post in the forums. This forum isn't just for praise of the S8 or S8 + -- pretty much like every section in this forum. Everyone can discuss the good and the bad of a device as much as they want. As long as it is done so in civil manner there shouldn't be any issues .. Just like there haven't been till lately. I would suggest everyone refresh themselves with the rules and see that we want everyone to have a good time on the forums so petty personal attacks and trolling really isn't needed.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/volunteer-hub/778825-community-rules-guidelines.html

If you have any questions please send me a PM.

Thanks.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
That's the fault of Samsung not putting the proper effort necessary to optimize the OS update to their product.

If Google forcing an OS update on my phone means that Android O causes this phone to become crazy slow the way that updating my S7 Edge became crazy slow when it updated to Nougat, then no thanks. Save me from those people who want to save me.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This is your opinion. Maybe Google needs to force then there's not to produce ugly phones. Oh wait, then they would put their own pixel division out of business.

I definitely don't want Google to take over updates for all OEM's, but can't agree that the Pixel is an ugly phone. The glass window thing is weird, but not necessarily ugly and the rest of the device looks great.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I definitely don't want Google to take over updates for all OEM's, but can't agree that the Pixel is an ugly phone. The glass window thing is weird, but not necessarily ugly and the rest of the device looks great.

It's grown on me. I still like what Samsung and LG are doing better. I suspect the Pixel 2 will be better looking.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Here is a little sales data....the source in in the pic....
this without the Galaxy S8/8+ sales data. So the numbers for Samsung will go up...
idc-smartphone-growth-q1-2017-100720224-large.jpg

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well that would probably be left for separate but similarly titled discussion... The phone GOOGLE wants vs. the phone SAMSUNG wants

Maybe Google should make sure to optimize their update so that it works with their number 1 vendor's phones instead of constantly treating them like they're the enemy.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Here is a little sales data....the source in in the pic....
this without the Galaxy S8/8+ sales data. So the numbers for Samsung will go up...
http://images.techhive.com/images/article/2017/04/idc-smartphone-growth-q1-2017-100720224-large.jpg

S8/S8+ are Q2, these numbers should be final. What's interesting here is that 1st and 2nd basically didn't change shipment volumes since last year, while everyone except for "other" went down substantially year over year.