T-Mobile Galaxy S8 Face and iris scanners don't work

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
My fingerprint scanner works great. No problems with it so far. I just wish it were in the center of the phone below the camera lens, but whatever. No biggie.

The face scanner seems to be worthless. It will register my face in a second. It doesn't seem to have the same ability when trying to unlock the phone. I've only been able to get to work twice and that's after trying several times and moving into different light, etc. That was days ago and it hasn't worked since. What a pain.

The iris scanner is worse. I'll register my iris before I even think I'm ready for it. I have not once been able to unlock my phone using it.

Has anyone else been completely unable to use these features?

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
My fingerprint scanner works great. No problems with it so far. I just wish it were in the center of the phone below the camera lens, but whatever. No biggie.

The face scanner seems to be worthless. It will register my face in a second. It doesn't seem to have the same ability when trying to unlock the phone. I've only been able to get to work twice and that's after trying several times and moving into different light, etc. That was days ago and it hasn't worked since. What a pain.

The iris scanner is worse. I'll register my iris before I even think I'm ready for it. I have not once been able to unlock my phone using it.

Is the Iris Recognition screen (with the 2 circles to line up with your eyes) appearing on the screen when you're trying to unlock it?
Mine has been flawless so far and I was really sceptical about it before I got the phone. I haven't even tried facial recognition yet, it doesn't work in the dark so it's no use to me

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Is the Iris Recognition screen (with the 2 circles to line up with your eyes) appearing on the screen when you're trying to unlock it?
Mine has been flawless so far and I was really sceptical about it before I got the phone. I haven't even tried facial recognition yet, it doesn't work in the dark so it's no use to me

No. They only appear during registration.

Same thing with the face scanner. The circle is there when registering.

Like I said, I was able to get the face scanner to work a couple of times after trying several times and then moving to a different location. But, there was no circle or anything.

Also to use the fingerprint scanner the screen doesn't have to be on or anything. That's the beauty of it.
I think to use the face scanner or iris scanner you need to turn on the screen first, right?

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
No. They only appear during registration.

Same thing with the face scanner. The circle is there when registering.

Like I said, I was able to get the face scanner to work a couple of times after trying several times and then moving to a different location. But, there was no circle or anything.

Also to use the fingerprint scanner the screen doesn't have to be on or anything. That's the beauty of it.
I think to use the face scanner or iris scanner you need to turn on the screen first, right?

Yeah when I turn on my screen it asks me to use my "fingerprint to unlock or swipe to use Irises instead" and when I do swipe the screen the top half of the screen shows my face with the 2 big circles to line up with my eyes and it quickly unlocks if they're in the circles. If you're not seeing this then maybe you haven't got Iris or Face recognition methods selected in the 'Screen Lock Type' settings?
Also remember you can only use either Iris Or Face recognition method. Not both

One more thing, a long press in the home button when the phone is locked should quickly and automatically take you to the Iris unlock and pin input screen. It's quicker than waking your phone first

Ageeb

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Yeah when I turn on my screen it asks me to use my "fingerprint to unlock or swipe to use Irises instead" and when I do swipe the screen the top half of the screen shows my face with the 2 big circles to line up with my eyes and it quickly unlocks if they're in the circles. If you're not seeing this then maybe you haven't got Iris or Face recognition methods selected in the 'Screen Lock Type' settings?

One more thing, a long press in the home button when the phone is locked should quickly and automatically take you to the Iris unlock and pin input screen. It's quicker than waking your phone first

Don't forget you can set it to bypass swipe and the circle mask screen when unlocking the display. Instead, the iris scanner starts firing immediately (if you're comfortable with phone placement and angles) when you hit home or power button.

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site

I just got my face thing to work very quickly. I'm at work now and the lighting is different. Maybe at home there just isn't enough light for it to work.

But, you have to press the screen or side button to turn on the screen first. So, if you have to press something, then why not just press the fingerprint scanner?

The fingerprint scanner will work in the dark or wherever. So it seems that it completely negates the entire purpose of both the face and iris scanners.

If the phone would unlock when I just pick it up and look at it without turning on the screen first, that would be ideal.

Ageeb

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
If the phone would unlock when I just pick it up and look at it without turning on the screen first, that would be ideal.

Without a lot of thought I'd say if that you're picking it up to move it or look at the time, etc. It would be an unnessicary waste of battery firing the sensors.

Unlocking the display is the right choice no?

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

My iris scanner is lightening fast! A lot of times it unlocks my phone before the iris scanner display comes up. Lightening fast! Great feature!!!!

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Without a lot of thought I'd say if that you're picking it up to move it or look at the time, etc. It would be an unnessicary waste of battery firing the sensors.

Unlocking the display is the right choice no?

Well, if you don't have AOD running (which I don't) you have to press a button to see the time anyway. Also, sensors are firing at all times anyway to determine if it's in your pocket or whatever.

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
My iris scanner is lightening fast! A lot of times it unlocks my phone before the iris scanner display comes up. Lightening fast! Great feature!!!!

Like I said, registering my iris is fast as lighting. Too fast really. When I try to unlock the phone using it, nothing.

I realize now that the only place my face scanner works is under blue-tinted fluorescent lighting. If I try to use it at home with the more yellow lighting, I get nothing. If I try to use it outside, I get nothing, which I think is due to the sun creating stark shadows.

Honestly the face and iris scanners are more trouble than they're worth for me, so I'll just use the fingerprint scanner and leave it at that. I guess I paid for two fancy things I'll never use.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon