Camera help

Hiroto

May 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,

I was looking at the functions of the camera in settings. There are so many to choose from and Im not sure which will be use as default daily 'point and shoot' while still looking nice after uploading to social media. I couldn't really find much info online so hopefully experience users can help out!

I think the reason why I am looking for advises is which options should I choose due to aspect ratio, I just don't get this as 4:3 which has the highest MP, and 16:9 is lower and so forth. 4:3 yes it's smaller frame and 16:9 vice versa.

Rear camera - picture size:
4:3 (12M) or 16:9(9.1M) I didn't bother about the rest since when I look at the megapixels gets lower it surely produce lower quality, so the two will be my top 2 choices.

Video I only use 60fps, it's the only thing stopping me from flashing away TW. TW is fine as it is for me now but not last time (I came from Note 1) and always been a Note user, for some reason cant wait for Note 8 release, so I boiught the S8+ 2 weeks ago, told myself let's try the S series for once. I derailed :p

Lastly, HDR mode under what situation were and when do I choose this? Auto? On? Off?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I was looking at the functions of the camera in settings. There are so many to choose from and Im not sure which will be use as default daily 'point and shoot' while still looking nice after uploading to social media. I couldn't really find much info online so hopefully experience users can help out!

I think the reason why I am looking for advises is which options should I choose due to aspect ratio, I just don't get this as 4:3 which has the highest MP, and 16:9 is lower and so forth. 4:3 yes it's smaller frame and 16:9 vice versa.

Rear camera - picture size:
4:3 (12M) or 16:9(9.1M) I didn't bother about the rest since when I look at the megapixels gets lower it surely produce lower quality, so the two will be my top 2 choices.

Video I only use 60fps, it's the only thing stopping me from flashing away TW. TW is fine as it is for me now but not last time (I came from Note 1) and always been a Note user, for some reason cant wait for Note 8 release, so I boiught the S8+ 2 weeks ago, told myself let's try the S series for once. I derailed :p

Lastly, HDR mode under what situation were and when do I choose this? Auto? On? Off?

4:3 has a higher resolution because all they do to get the 16:9 aspect ratio is chop off the top and bottom of the pic. The sensor itself is also 4:3 in ratio, so keeping that ratio is probably for the best.

I keep HDR in Auto the majority of the time....actually I can't think of a time where I changed it manually.

Hiroto

May 4, 2017
Visit site
I usually take pictures in landscape since it captures more image. A guy name "Dude" said that to use 16:9, which is another reason why I am confuse.

Dude:4:3 looks rubbish hence the MP is to compensate it. 4:3 is an indication of low res. But now they want consumer to be able to take videos or photos at that cropped frame but retain high res, so they increased the MP.

Whereas 16:9 is already a high res which doesn't need compensation So, it has lower MP than the 4:3.

AMAGAWD I AM CONFUSED.

dskreet1200

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
4:3 format is typically used for printing to standard sizes, such as 5x7 or 8x10 with minimal cropping compared to the 16:9 to fit the standard sizes.
16:9 starts off as a 4:3 but is then cropped, hence the lower mega pixels.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
You're confusing overall all MP with the MP used at different aspect ratios. The 16:9 and 4:3 have the same resolution. All the 16:9 does is crop the top and bottom which gives you a lower MP. The resolution is the same because the used pixel density is still the same.

There IS a difference between 4:3 (12M) and 4:3 (6.2M) though. Half the pixels are not being used. The same goes for 16:9 (9.1) and 16:9 (3.7).

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
You're confusing overall all MP with the MP used at different aspect ratios. The 16:9 and 4:3 have the same resolution. All the 16:9 does is crop the top and bottom which gives you a lower MP. The resolution is the same because the used pixel density is still the same.

There IS a difference between 4:3 (12M) and 4:3 (6.2M) though. Half the pixels are not being used. The same goes for 16:9 (9.1) and 16:9 (3.7).
Please excuse my ignorance here gernerttl, so no matter how far I zoom in on a 4:3 (12M) and a 16:9 (9.1M) photo, the details will be exactly the same?

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Here are a couple shots to show you.

4:3 (12MP)
20170504_193525.jpg

16:9 (9.1MP)
20170504_193546.jpg

As for HDR... I haven't used it much. HDR is best used when you are somewhere where you have a large differences in lighting; both deep shadows and bright highlights simultaneously. For example, in a room with bright light shining in. You want to be able to see the details in the room and see what is outside the window at the same time. Real estate photographers have been using HDR for years.

blecap

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Here are a couple shots to show you.

4:3 (12MP)
View attachment 259187

16:9 (9.1MP)
View attachment 259188

As for HDR... I haven't used it much. HDR is best used when you are somewhere where you have a large differences in lighting; both deep shadows and bright highlights simultaneously. For example, in a room with bright light shining in. You want to be able to see the details in the room and see what is outside the window at the same time. Real estate photographers have been using HDR for years.

Thanks mate!

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
My advice is to stick with 4x3 12mp. You're using the entire sensor and full MP for images. You can always crop images yourself on a computer if you want 16x9. No reason to have it crop it for you. Always save images in largest and Best quality available. Same goes for video. A few years down the road you might want to make larger prints or something. If you do, you'll be glad you saved in highest size.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
My advice is to stick with 4x3 12mp. You're using the entire sensor and full MP for images. You can always crop images yourself on a computer if you want 16x9. No reason to have it crop it for you. Always save images in largest and Best quality available. Same goes for video. A few years down the road you might want to make larger prints or something. If you do, you'll be glad you saved in highest size.
True. If you have a 64GB or larger microSD card, it'll take a while to fill up.