S8 and S8+ have slimmer bezels
S8 and S8+ IP68 waterproof
S8 and S8 Plus offer faster processor
Larger respective battery capacities on S8 and S8 Plus
Samsung devices come with AKG headphones

dskreet1200

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the S8, my wife the Pixel. She has had the Pixel since February. It's a nice phone, but looks dated to me. I like the stock Vanilla Android on the Pixel, and the camera to me is Better than the S8, not a huge difference but the colors always seem richer compared to the S8. I still went with the S8 over the Pixel, the better screen, newer processor and wireless charging were big deals to me. Pixel doesn't have wireless charging.

caveman84

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I have the S8, my wife the Pixel. She has had the Pixel since February. It's a nice phone, but looks dated to me. I like the stock Vanilla Android on the Pixel, and the camera to me is Better than the S8, not a huge difference but the colors always seem richer compared to the S8. I still went with the S8 over the Pixel, the better screen, newer processor and wireless charging were big deals to me. Pixel doesn't have wireless charging.
Colors look richer maybe because youre looking at them on the phone itself? If yes, amoleds are known for oversaturation hence the pics may seem richer

dskreet1200

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
On my pc with a calibrated monitor, they look richer. Like the color saturation is boosted up a bit. Looks good right out of the camera. But I shoot in RAW, so I can achieve the same look in post editing, so that wasn't a big deal, Perfect for my wife that doesn't use Photoshop, or care to post process.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It is hard to really pin-point to be honest. Both are amazing phones .. It just depends what you want. I will miss the constant updates I got on my Pixel XL -- But other things like Samsung Pay are fun to have.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
S8 and S8+ have slimmer bezels
S8 and S8+ IP68 waterproof
S8 and S8 Plus offer faster processor
Larger respective battery capacities on S8 and S8 Plus
Samsung devices come with AKG headphones
Oh and don't forget Galaxy S8 and 8+ both have SD cards and wireless charging. Generally offer more features than the Pixel and better battery life.
I have the Pixel XL and the S8+

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Pixel XL: $869 for 32GB and no expandable storage, 5.5 inch, HUGE bezels
S8 Plus: $850 for 64GB and expandable storage capability, 6.2 inch, infinity display

The end

The end? First of all, the 32GB XL is $769, not $869. What about performance, camera, updates, security? Google's got Samsung beat there. Those things Google do better than Samsung are my main criteria. So, to me, S8's​ got nothing on the Pixel. Well, maybe, except the front design.

RustyFJ

May 28, 2014
Visit site
After half an hour of playing with my S8+, when I picked up my Pixel XL it suddenly felt very old - in particular the bezels were more obvious than they were before. :)

I notice a difference in the cameras too. Pixel is better IMO - I've been less happy with some of the shots I've taken with the S8+.

I prefer to the Samsung Experience UI to stock Android too. It seems more refined and pleasing to the eye.

It feels like my Pixel charged faster than the S8 does. But i've bought a wireless charger now so I can place the S8+ on it while I'm at my desk throughout the day.

I liked how you could swipe down on the Pixel fingerprint scanner twice to bring your notifications within easy reach of your thumb. The S8+ only brings the notifications down one level.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
S8+ has an updated processor, new Bluetooth, great camera, good build quality and a 1% larger battery.

Pixel XL has better software, better security, better build materials, a better design, better camera, better support from the oem, more storage, a great display that is flat and is way ahead on charging technology.

If all you're looking at is what's this do that the other doesn't do as well, then it's important to define what it is you want out of your phone. Both have several things that the other doesn't; once you get past what reviewers care about and settle on what's best for your needs it's easier to figure out which one might fit your needs better.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The end? First of all, the 32GB XL is $769, not $869. What about performance, camera, updates, security? Google's got Samsung beat there. Those things Google do better than Samsung are my main criteria. So, to me, S8's​ got nothing on the Pixel. Well, maybe, except the front design.
Even the front design is better on the pixel than the S8 imo. I'm trying to like the long displays, but not there yet. But for now, 16:9, proper navigation buttons and having some bezels to be a able to hold and use the thing in landscape win out over extra curves, etc.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
After half an hour of playing with my S8+, when I picked up my Pixel XL it suddenly felt very old - in particular the bezels were more obvious than they were before. :)

I notice a difference in the cameras too. Pixel is better IMO - I've been less happy with some of the shots I've taken with the S8+.

I prefer to the Samsung Experience UI to stock Android too. It seems more refined and pleasing to the eye.

It feels like my Pixel charged faster than the S8 does. But i've bought a wireless charger now so I can place the S8+ on it while I'm at my desk throughout the day.

I liked how you could swipe down on the Pixel fingerprint scanner twice to bring your notifications within easy reach of your thumb. The S8+ only brings the notifications down one level.

That's super cool that you love their software UI etc. Shows how far Samsung has come over just the last couple of years. I really like Samsung's theme manager. That's something IMO Android should get built into the OS. Devs obviously are willing to create themes.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I Have both The Pixel XL and S8+

The S8+ wins for these features...

Display
SD Card
waterproofing
Wireless charging
Battery life
Better screen to bezel ratio
battery percentage meter
app badge notifications
Always on display
Headphone jack on the bottom
Better LED light
Iris scanning

Pixel XL wins for these features

Camera is slightly better
Faster software updates
Faster OS updates
Better FPS placement
Screen off notifications are better

Both phones are buttery smooth to use with Nougat
Both phones are ergonomically designed to be a joy to hold and use
Both phones provide a great user experience.

s8-pixel.JPG

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Pixel XL wins for these features

Camera is slightly better
Faster software updates
Faster OS updates
Better FPS placement
Screen off notifications are better

+ security, build materials, storage, charging, daydream, etc.

For the average consumer, the S8+ seems like it's a much more feature packed device on paper. That's why I said it really matters which features that you're into. Samsung knocked this one out of the park.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
+ security, build materials, storage, charging, daydream, etc.

For the average consumer, the S8+ seems like it's a much more feature packed device on paper. That's why I said it really matters which features that you're into. Samsung knocked this one out of the park.
Storage goes to the S8+ as it comes with default 64GB out of the box and has SD card to add more. Charging? Not sure what that mean but the S8+ has fast wireless and fast wired charging. Build materials and pretty even between the two phones.
Design would go to the S8+
Daydream is nice but so is the new Gear VR.....kinda evens out in that dept