05-11-2017 05:47 PM
161 1234 ...
tools
    Only about a third of the back of the Pixel is glass. It's also I believe adhered to a metal frame so it's not glass all the way through.
    jamezr likes this.
    05-04-2017 09:33 AM
    Hope this helps.

jamezr and dlalonde like this.
    05-04-2017 09:41 AM
    Storage? Oh c'mon.....the Pixel base model has 32GB and the S8 has 64GB. Sure you can buy a 128GB model but I have a 256Gb SD Card in my S8+ so that adds upto 320GB of storage compared to the 128 you mentioned.
    Since both support expandable storage (just via different methods) then that's why 128 > 64 gives the nod to the Pixel IMO. For your use case obviously the S8 + works better if you were only considering base versions.
    05-04-2017 09:41 AM
    Only about a third of the back of the Pixel is glass. It's also I believe adhered to a metal frame so it's not glass all the way through.
    Correct.
    05-04-2017 09:42 AM
    The Pixel has a huge camera bug which disqualifies it for me - that lens flare and halo issue. I saw it before I'd taken the fifth photo on my new Pixel. Terrible. A huge deal-breaker. Worse than Apple's 'you are holding it incorrectly' saga. It means a whole category of photography (contre-jour) is out of bounds on the Pixel. Fail.
    jamezr likes this.
    05-04-2017 09:48 AM
    Since both support expandable storage (just via different methods) then that's why 128 > 64 gives the nod to the Pixel IMO. For your use case obviously the S8 + works better if you were only considering base versions.
    Hmmmm base model to base model sooo 32GB versus 64GB and the nod goes to the Pixel? How?
    Then if you want to go to the upgraded storage on the Pixel 128GB versus my S8+ 64GB with 256GB SD card equals 320GB
    Storage goes to the Galaxy S8+ all day long.....

How does the Pixel provide expandable storage?
    05-04-2017 09:51 AM
    Hmmmm base model to base model sooo 32GB versus 64GB and the nod goes to the Pixel? How?
    Then if you want to go to the upgraded storage on the Pixel 128GB versus my S8+ 64GB with 256GB SD card equals 320GB
    Storage goes to the Galaxy S8+ all day long.....

How does the Pixel provide expandable storage?
    Through the USB C port. Obviously based to base 64 > 32, but base isn't the only option, so 128 > 64 is still an off the shelf option. Plus can't forget unlimited photo storage, which could compare to the 256 in some ways. There are options to make either work.
    05-04-2017 09:59 AM
    Through the USB C port. Obviously based to base 64 > 32, but base isn't the only option, so 128 > 64 is still an off the shelf option. Plus can't forget unlimited photo storage, which could compare to the 256 in some ways. There are options to make either work.
    I don't think are the same except to Pixel fans.....I can store all my photos to Google Drive on my S8+ and I have 250GB of that to use......

So the S8+ wins in storage no matter how you slice it up....
    More storage base model to base model and expansion through SD Card
    05-04-2017 10:03 AM
    I don't think are the same except to Pixel fans.....I can store all my photos to Google Drive on my S8+ and I have 250GB of that to use......

Cool with agree to disagree?
    jamezr likes this.
    05-04-2017 10:06 AM
    Agreed...but some are saying the all glass back of the S8 makes it not as durable. But the Pixel back is half glass as well.
    05-04-2017 10:09 AM
    Agreed...but some are saying the all glass back of the S8 makes it not as durable. But the Pixel back is half glass as well.
    IMO the glass part of the pixel is less durable than the GG5 on the S8
    jamezr and sydneycooper1979 like this.
    05-04-2017 10:56 AM
    Seems Pixel XL is more comparable to the S8+.
    jamezr likes this.
    05-04-2017 11:06 AM
    Either will be outstanding devices but the S8 has a few more options included for the price. Water resistant is a wonderful peace of mind.
    05-04-2017 11:31 AM
    This doesn't fly with me. No one will walk around with a thumb drive hanging off the phone (or a dongle) 100% of the time.

Storage goes to S8.
    05-04-2017 12:15 PM
    IMO the glass part of the pixel is less durable than the GG5 on the S8
    But then again, there's a near 100% chance that a drop will result in the glass taking the brunt of the fall. Fact of the matter is that pretty much all of these phones are delicate, just varying degrees of frailty.
    05-04-2017 12:22 PM
    You know... depends on who you ask... I have a very low opinion of SD media in general. I see it as temporary storage that I would never in a million years trust (yes, I have been burned by a card that pooped itself). So it would serve to be a short term stop between my phone's camera and Google Photos. More native internal storage > less internal storage + SD.
    05-04-2017 12:37 PM
    You know... depends on who you ask... I have a very low opinion of SD media in general. I see it as temporary storage that I would never in a million years trust (yes, I have been burned by a card that pooped itself). So it would serve to be a short term stop between my phone's camera and Google Photos. More native internal storage > less internal storage + SD.
    Yeah I hear you....some people hate them. I have never had one fail on me in all the years I have been using them. I have all of my photos go to cloud storage....not worth the risk of losing my phone or it being stolen or whatever catastrophe :-)
    05-04-2017 01:04 PM
    This doesn't fly with me. No one will walk around with a thumb drive hanging off the phone (or a dongle) 100% of the time.

Storage goes to S8.
    I ignore or subtract points for the SD slot, just saying for people who required access to removable, options exist. 128 > 64 every day.
    05-04-2017 01:14 PM
    Samsung devices come with AKG headphones
    They're pretty awful.
    05-04-2017 02:35 PM
    Yeah I hear you....some people hate them. I have never had one fail on me in all the years I have been using them. I have all of my photos go to cloud storage....not worth the risk of losing my phone or it being stolen or whatever catastrophe :-)
    Dude... let me tell you, that's a bad scene. In the pre-dawn era (i.e. no smartphones - early 2000's), me and my wife were on a nice vacation in DisneyWorld. We had one of those new, high falutin' digital cameras in tow. We thought it was awesome... took a TON of pictures and loved not having to swap out film canisters and get them developed. I can't remember the size of the card we had, but it was big and expensive (comparatively). Second to last day, she goes to take a pic and says that it failed. I grab the thing and start looking and realize the card was corrupt and all the pics were gone.

Yeah.... she wasn't happy with that at all.

But since then, I've had three others go into the tank being used in various applications... phone, camera, video camera... all were 'quality' name brands. And I have a top shelf 64G Sammy card in my wife's G6 right now, mostly so the mountain of pics and videos she takes won't fill up internal. But you can believe me that I am a little bit nervous until whatever she takes gets up to Photos.

But even though I could put a monster card in there... I would have gladly give up that SD slot as payment for even 64GB of internal storage... (LG, yeah... you sorta whiffed on that).
    05-04-2017 02:45 PM
    I want to like the S8+, but it is driving me nuts I can't pull down the notification bar with my thumb like I can on the regular S8 and Pixel XL, due to the height on the screen.
    05-04-2017 02:47 PM
    Dude... let me tell you, that's a bad scene. In the pre-dawn era (i.e. no smartphones - early 2000's), me and my wife were on a nice vacation in DisneyWorld. We had one of those new, high falutin' digital cameras in tow. We thought it was awesome... took a TON of pictures and loved not having to swap out film canisters and get them developed. I can't remember the size of the card we had, but it was big and expensive (comparatively). Second to last day, she goes to take a pic and says that it failed. I grab the thing and start looking and realize the card was corrupt and all the pics were gone.

Yeah.... she wasn't happy with that at all.

But since then, I've had three others go into the tank being used in various applications... phone, camera, video camera... all were 'quality' name brands. And I have a top shelf 64G Sammy card in my wife's G6 right now, mostly so the mountain of pics and videos she takes won't fill up internal. But you can believe me that I am a little bit nervous until whatever she takes gets up to Photos.

But even though I could put a monster card in there... I would have gladly give up that SD slot as payment for even 64GB of internal storage... (LG, yeah... you sorta whiffed on that).
    Samsung was very smart to put 64 GB base in.
    05-04-2017 02:53 PM
    Samsung was very smart to put 64 GB base in.
    Well... yes. But given the choice between 128G vs 64 + SD... again... I care little about how much storage you COULD add with an SD card, give me the 128G internal.
    05-04-2017 02:54 PM
    Well... yes. But given the choice between 128G vs 64 + SD... again... I care little about how much storage you COULD add with an SD card, give me the 128G internal.
    Just depends on your needs. I can't justify the extra cost for a 128gb model when I won't need more than 64gb for the foreseeable future. 64gb is the sweet spot for me.
    05-04-2017 03:02 PM
    True; although I intentionally downgraded myself to a 32 GB model; which doesn't matter much because all photos are free and I don't really play games on my phone, etc. Stream music, stream movies, don't really store much of anything.
    05-04-2017 03:10 PM
161 1234 ...