Pixel XL vs. S8?

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Anyone had both that can give me some comparison. What did you like dislike?

I traded my pixel in for an s8+. I have a review comparing the two in the member review forum, but to sum it up: the Pixel has a great, probably better software experience than the S8. However where it lacks is in build quality, and overall design. When compared to the S8, it's just a cheaper feeling phone. It feels hollow and too light for it's own good. No water resistance and no wireless charging mean the S8 for a couple hundred more is a no brainier for me at least.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Storage goes to the S8+ as it comes with default 64GB out of the box and has SD card to add more. Charging? Not sure what that mean but the S8+ has fast wireless and fast wired charging. Build materials and pretty even between the two phones.
Design would go to the S8+
Daydream is nice but so is the new Gear VR.....kinda evens out in that dept

Charging - Samsung is still using their "FastCharge" which is Qualcomm's QuickCharge 2.0 rebranded. The Pixel XL supports USB Power Delivery. It's just a more up to date and better tech. (most consumers will never care about this)

Storage - 128 is more than 64, both support expandable storage in the same quantities, one just uses the USB slot and the other uses a slot within the device.

Build materials - On that I just went with metal > glass due to durability, but both are using very good quality materials and both have excellent build quality.

Daydream - Only reason I brought this up is similar to charging. The Pixel is supporting a more up to date standard and the Gear VR, while for most people will be an acceptable alternative, it's not supporting the standard. (most consumers will never care about this)

Design is pretty subjective. I'd give it to the Pixel XL both functionally and aesthetically, obviously a lot of people would give it to the S8+ - As an example, I didn't know headphone jack on the bottom was a good thing, I suspect it's a preference thing.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I traded my pixel in for an s8+. I have a review comparing the two in the member review forum, but to sum it up: the Pixel has a great, probably better software experience than the S8. However where it lacks is in build quality, and overall design. When compared to the S8, it's just a cheaper feeling phone. It feels hollow and too light for it's own good. No water resistance and no wireless charging mean the S8 for a couple hundred more is a no brainier for me at least.

Did you have the regular or XL Pixel?

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Charging - Samsung is still using their "FastCharge" which is Qualcomm's QuickCharge 2.0 rebranded. The Pixel XL supports USB Power Delivery. It's just a more up to date and better tech. (most consumers will never care about this)

Storage - 128 is more than 64, both support expandable storage in the same quantities, one just uses the USB slot and the other uses a slot within the device.

Build materials - On that I just went with metal > glass due to durability, but both are using very good quality materials and both have excellent build quality.

Daydream - Only reason I brought this up is similar to charging. The Pixel is supporting a more up to date standard and the Gear VR, while for most people will be an acceptable alternative, it's not supporting the standard. (most consumers will never care about this)

Design is pretty subjective. I'd give it to the Pixel XL both functionally and aesthetically, obviously a lot of people would give it to the S8+ - As an example, I didn't know headphone jack on the bottom was a good thing, I suspect it's a preference thing.

Wait which one is faster? The wireless fast charge on the Pixel or S8+....oh wait the Pixel doesn't have wireless charging.

Storage? Oh c'mon.....the Pixel base model has 32GB and the S8 has 64GB. Sure you can buy a 128GB model but I have a 256Gb SD Card in my S8+ so that adds upto 320GB of storage compared to the 128 you mentioned.
Daydream versus Gear VR......they both work just the same. I think there is more content through Oculus to be honest.

Design definitely goes to the S8+....even here on AC it was voted best Android phone here on AC.
Best Android Phones of 2017 | Android Central

The 10 best smartphones of 2017 so far | ZDNet

Best display on a smartphone...

https://plus.google.com/+sammobile/posts/YT1DaSBMbjh

Then metal versus glass....isn't the back of the Pixel ceramic glass? Yet they could get wireless charging done?

The headphone jack is part of the better design that goes to the S8+. If you have a headphone attached and put the phone in your pocket....now take it out...which way is the display facing? It is facing the right way for you to use your phone without having to turn it around. It goes to design and ease of use.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Only about a third of the back of the Pixel is glass. It's also I believe adhered to a metal frame so it's not glass all the way through.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Storage? Oh c'mon.....the Pixel base model has 32GB and the S8 has 64GB. Sure you can buy a 128GB model but I have a 256Gb SD Card in my S8+ so that adds upto 320GB of storage compared to the 128 you mentioned.

Since both support expandable storage (just via different methods) then that's why 128 > 64 gives the nod to the Pixel IMO. For your use case obviously the S8 + works better if you were only considering base versions.

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
The Pixel has a huge camera bug which disqualifies it for me - that lens flare and halo issue. I saw it before I'd taken the fifth photo on my new Pixel. Terrible. A huge deal-breaker. Worse than Apple's 'you are holding it incorrectly' saga. It means a whole category of photography (contre-jour) is out of bounds on the Pixel. Fail.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Since both support expandable storage (just via different methods) then that's why 128 > 64 gives the nod to the Pixel IMO. For your use case obviously the S8 + works better if you were only considering base versions.

Hmmmm base model to base model sooo 32GB versus 64GB and the nod goes to the Pixel? How?
Then if you want to go to the upgraded storage on the Pixel 128GB versus my S8+ 64GB with 256GB SD card equals 320GB
Storage goes to the Galaxy S8+ all day long.....

How does the Pixel provide expandable storage?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm base model to base model sooo 32GB versus 64GB and the nod goes to the Pixel? How?
Then if you want to go to the upgraded storage on the Pixel 128GB versus my S8+ 64GB with 256GB SD card equals 320GB
Storage goes to the Galaxy S8+ all day long.....

How does the Pixel provide expandable storage?

Through the USB C port. Obviously based to base 64 > 32, but base isn't the only option, so 128 > 64 is still an off the shelf option. Plus can't forget unlimited photo storage, which could compare to the 256 in some ways. There are options to make either work.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Through the USB C port. Obviously based to base 64 > 32, but base isn't the only option, so 128 > 64 is still an off the shelf option. Plus can't forget unlimited photo storage, which could compare to the 256 in some ways. There are options to make either work.

I don't think are the same except to Pixel fans.....I can store all my photos to Google Drive on my S8+ and I have 250GB of that to use......

So the S8+ wins in storage no matter how you slice it up....
More storage base model to base model and expansion through SD Card

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think are the same except to Pixel fans.....I can store all my photos to Google Drive on my S8+ and I have 250GB of that to use......

So the S8+ wins in storage no matter how you slice it up....
More storage base model to base model and expansion through SD Card
Cool with agree to disagree?

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Only about a third of the back of the Pixel is glass. It's also I believe adhered to a metal frame so it's not glass all the way through.

Agreed...but some are saying the all glass back of the S8 makes it not as durable. But the Pixel back is half glass as well.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Either will be outstanding devices but the S8 has a few more options included for the price. Water resistant is a wonderful peace of mind.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

This doesn't fly with me. No one will walk around with a thumb drive hanging off the phone (or a dongle) 100% of the time.

Storage goes to S8.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
IMO the glass part of the pixel is less durable than the GG5 on the S8

But then again, there's a near 100% chance that a drop will result in the glass taking the brunt of the fall. Fact of the matter is that pretty much all of these phones are delicate, just varying degrees of frailty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03