Pixel XL vs. S8?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So the S8+ wins in storage no matter how you slice it up....
More storage base model to base model and expansion through SD Card

You know... depends on who you ask... I have a very low opinion of SD media in general. I see it as temporary storage that I would never in a million years trust (yes, I have been burned by a card that pooped itself). So it would serve to be a short term stop between my phone's camera and Google Photos. More native internal storage > less internal storage + SD.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
You know... depends on who you ask... I have a very low opinion of SD media in general. I see it as temporary storage that I would never in a million years trust (yes, I have been burned by a card that pooped itself). So it would serve to be a short term stop between my phone's camera and Google Photos. More native internal storage > less internal storage + SD.

Yeah I hear you....some people hate them. I have never had one fail on me in all the years I have been using them. I have all of my photos go to cloud storage....not worth the risk of losing my phone or it being stolen or whatever catastrophe :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This doesn't fly with me. No one will walk around with a thumb drive hanging off the phone (or a dongle) 100% of the time.

Storage goes to S8.
I ignore or subtract points for the SD slot, just saying for people who required access to removable, options exist. 128 > 64 every day.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I hear you....some people hate them. I have never had one fail on me in all the years I have been using them. I have all of my photos go to cloud storage....not worth the risk of losing my phone or it being stolen or whatever catastrophe :)

Dude... let me tell you, that's a bad scene. In the pre-dawn era (i.e. no smartphones - early 2000's), me and my wife were on a nice vacation in DisneyWorld. We had one of those new, high falutin' digital cameras in tow. We thought it was awesome... took a TON of pictures and loved not having to swap out film canisters and get them developed. I can't remember the size of the card we had, but it was big and expensive (comparatively). Second to last day, she goes to take a pic and says that it failed. I grab the thing and start looking and realize the card was corrupt and all the pics were gone.

Yeah.... she wasn't happy with that at all.

But since then, I've had three others go into the tank being used in various applications... phone, camera, video camera... all were 'quality' name brands. And I have a top shelf 64G Sammy card in my wife's G6 right now, mostly so the mountain of pics and videos she takes won't fill up internal. But you can believe me that I am a little bit nervous until whatever she takes gets up to Photos.

But even though I could put a monster card in there... I would have gladly give up that SD slot as payment for even 64GB of internal storage... (LG, yeah... you sorta whiffed on that).

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I want to like the S8+, but it is driving me nuts I can't pull down the notification bar with my thumb like I can on the regular S8 and Pixel XL, due to the height on the screen.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Dude... let me tell you, that's a bad scene. In the pre-dawn era (i.e. no smartphones - early 2000's), me and my wife were on a nice vacation in DisneyWorld. We had one of those new, high falutin' digital cameras in tow. We thought it was awesome... took a TON of pictures and loved not having to swap out film canisters and get them developed. I can't remember the size of the card we had, but it was big and expensive (comparatively). Second to last day, she goes to take a pic and says that it failed. I grab the thing and start looking and realize the card was corrupt and all the pics were gone.

Yeah.... she wasn't happy with that at all.

But since then, I've had three others go into the tank being used in various applications... phone, camera, video camera... all were 'quality' name brands. And I have a top shelf 64G Sammy card in my wife's G6 right now, mostly so the mountain of pics and videos she takes won't fill up internal. But you can believe me that I am a little bit nervous until whatever she takes gets up to Photos.

But even though I could put a monster card in there... I would have gladly give up that SD slot as payment for even 64GB of internal storage... (LG, yeah... you sorta whiffed on that).

Samsung was very smart to put 64 GB base in.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Well... yes. But given the choice between 128G vs 64 + SD... again... I care little about how much storage you COULD add with an SD card, give me the 128G internal.

Just depends on your needs. I can't justify the extra cost for a 128gb model when I won't need more than 64gb for the foreseeable future. 64gb is the sweet spot for me.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well... yes. But given the choice between 128G vs 64 + SD... again... I care little about how much storage you COULD add with an SD card, give me the 128G internal.

True; although I intentionally downgraded myself to a 32 GB model; which doesn't matter much because all photos are free and I don't really play games on my phone, etc. Stream music, stream movies, don't really store much of anything.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Everyone is different.....we all have different experiences. The Pixel 32GB was just not enough space. I had to take mine back and wait 2 months for a 128GB. Now if it had a SD card......i could stick with it and move all my content to the card. Would have saved myself ton of money and 2 months waiting for Google to get more in stock.

Then in all the years of using SD cards in phones and video cameras and DSLRs and GO Pros never had one fail on me....not once.

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Pixel XL = no lag, MUCH FASTER UPDATES, much better FPS location, Pure Android, Does fit in my Genesis phone holder. Meh hardware

S8+ = lag, drop frame rates, who knows when it will get security or Android updates, FPS location is dumb, Does NOT fit in my Genesis phone holder. Beautiful hardware

lol

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
To not have 3 phones.
Yeah...fewer models to make and support. They can't keep up with the 2 models they have now. So I guess it's good they didn't make 3. Or could have just started at 64GB if they aren't going add a SD card

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I ignore or subtract points for the SD slot, just saying for people who required access to removable, options exist. 128 > 64 every day.

Lifeproof makes cases for the Pixel. That means people have access to water resistance. Guess the lack of IP68 is no longer an issue. :)

Having access does not equal useful or practical.

128 > 64 except when I have more than 64GB of combined storage in my S8+.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Lifeproof makes cases for the Pixel. That means people have access to water resistance. Guess the lack of IP68 is no longer an issue. :)

Having access does not equal useful or practical.

128 > 64 except when I have more than 64GB of combined storage in my S8+.

Then 128 is still more? Unless you have 64 + >= 64 and that + X isn't real storage, since it's extremely limited in what you can store there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon