5 Day Old S8 Cracked Back on Mat

Commandermadi

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi

So I have been using the new s8 for 5 days already. It is absolutely beautiful and notably improved more than my previous beloved note 5. However I was really troubled by a little spider web on the top right corner of the back glass. The phone slipped from my pants' pocket while SITTING on a chair at my desk. I picked it up and never thought ever that anything happened to it but I was shocked to find it cracked and surprisingly it fell on a mat not on concrete or solid floor or whatsoever. For those who are going to say why I did not put it in a case, I actually didnt get yet to put it in a case because I ordered it on the day of purchase from Amazon and did not receive it yet. Local stores in my country sell garbage cases so I had to order from Amazon. Im not a frequent phone dropper but durability on this phone is really going to be a serious concern for me.

Phone photo in attached.

Attachments

• 20170504_081623.jpg
    20170504_081623.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear about what happened to your phone. Contacting Samsung right now might be a nightmare, and I believe it's not covered under warranty for physical damages (unless you somehow lie and said it broke on it's own, then they might make an exception). Maybe you can search for a local 3rd party repair shop and they can do the repair for you. Samsung might charge a hefty price to repair it, but they'll do a good job. The S8 does not have the military rating like the Galaxy Active series. This is the reason why I only like the Galaxy Actives, for little situations like these. Very disappointed with the way phones are going now days: glass phones with non-removable backs in order to have a beautiful phone. Once the replacement parts are available, maybe you can repair it yourself​? Good luck and keep us updated.

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Every phone build is different. Some are tougher than others. That's just how glass works. Will your carrier replace it through your insurance?

Commandermadi

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear about what happened to your phone. Contacting Samsung right now might be a nightmare, and I believe it's not covered under warranty for physical damages (unless you somehow lie and said it broke on it's own, then they might make an exception). Maybe you can search for a local 3rd party repair shop and they can do the repair for you. Samsung might charge a hefty price to repair it, but they'll do a good job. The S8 does not have the military rating like the Galaxy Active series. This is the reason why I only like the Galaxy Actives, for little situations like these. Very disappointed with the way phones are going now days: glass phones with non-removable backs in order to have a beautiful phone. Once the replacement parts are available, maybe you can repair it yourself​? Good luck and keep us updated.

Thanks for your post mate. I actually am a bit lucky that I enrolled in a VIP service provided by Samsung in my region for premium flagship owners. I went to the samsung official service center but the part is not yet available. Once available they shall fix it for free (the VIP service covers one accidential damage throughout the whole year which I guess was too early for me :( just waiting impatiently to fix it)

Commandermadi

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Every phone build is different. Some are tougher than others. That's just how glass works. Will your carrier replace it through your insurance?

Unfortunately carriers in my country do sell the phones but with no contracts as most of the plans are prepaid so they sell them with their full unlocked price. The carriers just act as a store when it comes to selling phones and just might give you a gift and a free sim nothing more. However samsung in my region has a VIP Service for S8 owners which include a one time free accidential damage repair. Chances for a replacement are just too slim in my country.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Damn, yea the front is built like a truck and survived many drop test, but the back is often shattering on the first drop. Maybe I should go with a commuter for the hard back. -_-

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi

So I have been using the new s8 for 5 days already. It is absolutely beautiful and notably improved more than my previous beloved note 5. However I was really troubled by a little spider web on the top right corner of the back glass. The phone slipped from my pants' pocket while SITTING on a chair at my desk. I picked it up and never thought ever that anything happened to it but I was shocked to find it cracked and surprisingly it fell on a mat not on concrete or solid floor or whatsoever. For those who are going to say why I did not put it in a case, I actually didnt get yet to put it in a case because I ordered it on the day of purchase from Amazon and did not receive it yet. Local stores in my country sell garbage cases so I had to order from Amazon. Im not a frequent phone dropper but durability on this phone is really going to be a serious concern for me.

Phone photo in attached.

Sorry too see that :( Looking at the pictures it seems that it was a little hard rock on the mat that hit it just right. In toughened or tempered glass, the edges are always the weak points.

Supposedly, we all have a free month of samsung premium care service and after that is $11.99 a month, you can try signing up and since the first month is free all you have to pay is the $99 deductible. If you try this please let us know how it goes.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
That DEF looks like a hit. Sorry to say but no way are they going to help you with that. Thats not manufacturers fault. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis