05-08-2017 05:07 PM
45 12
tools
    I haven't noticed any extra drain. It doesn't use GPS constantly to watch .. just periodic checks. That is why if I get home and it hasn't seen I'm home yet I do something to ping GPS and it'll notice.
    Thing is I'd rather the phone did it's thing without me having to invoke anything.
    05-05-2017 09:19 AM
    Thing is I'd rather the phone did it's thing without me having to invoke anything.
    It usually will since it periodically updates.

The thing is you say you don't want battery drain .. But want it to be always perfect .. You can't have both :P. One messes with the other. To be accurate 24/7 the GPS would have to just sit on the entire time to ensure where you are at all times.
    bandofbrothers2112 likes this.
    05-05-2017 09:20 AM
    It usually will since it periodically updates.

The thing is you say you don't want battery drain .. But want it to be always perfect .. You can't have both :P. One messes with the other. To be accurate 24/7 the GPS would have to just sit on the entire time to ensure where you are at all times.
    Good point.
    Almeuit likes this.
    05-05-2017 09:22 AM
    I very much like and use Smart Lock as well, but I hate when it locks at a location that should be trusted. I must have about 50 dropped pins around my house and work.

The thing I REALLY want is trusted WiFi networks. Ergo, when I am at home or work and on their WiFi, no lock. THAT should be a thing.
    greeman3 likes this.
    05-05-2017 10:08 AM
    I never use smart lock. I want my device secured at all times. I have precious banking apps I don't need anybody else monkeying around with.
    If your banking app doesn't require a fingerprint when opening then you need to change banks.
    erasat likes this.
    05-05-2017 10:18 AM
    I use it with my Asus ZenWatch 3. As long as I'm near my phone it stays unlocked. To add to the daisy chain: as long as my unlocked phone is near my Chromebook Plus the Chromebook stays unlocked.
    05-05-2017 10:19 AM
    I very much like and use Smart Lock as well, but I hate when it locks at a location that should be trusted. I must have about 50 dropped pins around my house and work.

The thing I REALLY want is trusted WiFi networks. Ergo, when I am at home or work and on their WiFi, no lock. THAT should be a thing.
    My guess as to why they don't have trusted WiFi networks is due to them being easily spoofable -- Such as if you know someone connects to "Starbucks" you can make a hotspot that is open and it will connect / unlock the phone.

Just my guess.
    05-05-2017 11:27 AM
    If your banking app doesn't require a fingerprint when opening then you need to change banks.
    I use an app called Fingerprint Security that you can add an app to that requires fps to unlock an app even though you may be in a smart lock area that leaves hour phone open. For example, if my phone is open at home and is unlocked and I want to check our investments I still have to use my fingerprint to unlock the app. It's an added layer of security and it works very well.
    05-05-2017 11:32 AM
    No. I just need to keep my phone locked.
    05-05-2017 11:38 AM
    I use an app called Fingerprint Security that you can add an app to that requires fps to unlock an app even though you may be in a smart lock area that leaves hour phone open. For example, if my phone is open at home and is unlocked and I want to check our investments I still have to use my fingerprint to unlock the app. It's an added layer of security and it works very well.
    That app was huge news back when it was released, for some reason it hasn't being the hit I thought it would be.
    05-05-2017 12:35 PM
    This is such a great feature. Find it in settings, then lock screen security, then smart lock.

In a nutshell it will keep your phone unlocked in places you trust.

For me, I have my work address setup so now I never have to unlock my phone while im in the office. Also setup to link to my car's wifi so whenever I am in my car I don't have to unlock my phone which gets annoying.

AMAZING.
    Fair warning about Trusted Locations - it doesn't always lock your device when it should. See http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...-new-post.html for a current thread on this subject.
    shaneontherocks likes this.
    05-05-2017 02:22 PM
    It is for someone who is used to iPhone .
    I had the s6 s5 s4 and s3. I guess I never found it which seems cra to me!
    05-05-2017 03:26 PM

You can set it for trusted device, e.g., a particular Wi-Fi or Bluetooth device, rather than location.
    05-05-2017 05:28 PM
    Personally I don't trust it because it allows anyone access to ur phone when you are in that area...I prefer to keep my phone locked
    05-05-2017 10:43 PM
    I would love Smart Lock if it were actually consistent. I have to unlock my phone several times a day when in a trusted place or well within range of an added BT device. It would be amazing if it weren't so buggy.
    05-05-2017 11:17 PM
    You can set it for trusted device, e.g., a particular Wi-Fi or Bluetooth device, rather than location.
    Bluetooth or NFC device, yes; particular (or any) Wi-Fi, no.

At least not in "stock" Android OS (as in Google Nexus and Pixel devices). Pretty certain it is the same in Samsung devices.

On the other hand, Google Nexus and Pixel devices offer Trusted Face and Trusted Voice, as well as "On-body detection." Does Samsung?
    05-06-2017 07:01 AM
    I would love Smart Lock if it were actually consistent. I have to unlock my phone several times a day when in a trusted place or well within range of an added BT device. It would be amazing if it weren't so buggy.
    Odd.. I have never had it fail with Bluetooth .. not even once.
    05-06-2017 01:12 PM
    That app was huge news back when it was released, for some reason it hasn't being the hit I thought it would be.
    Since fps has been built into phones for awhile now I don't think people even think about it now but I use to add a layer of security for particular apps. Solves the problem of a phone being open on a smart lock location. I keep our investment tools locked so that they are not available even at home or anywhere else that smart lock might have my phone in an unsecured state.
    05-06-2017 01:41 PM
    Just remember, for those of you using an Exchange account from work, IF your company decides to enforce a secure lockscreen, Smart Lock is disabled! Only if you have an app like Nine to 'encapsule' your company's policy to an app level instead of a system one, then Smart Lock is only an option IF you don't use your corporate account.
    05-06-2017 04:49 PM
    Great after I updated my phone on Sprint now Smart Lock doesnt work at my office AT ALL. I restarted, cleared cache. It won't work.
    05-08-2017 05:07 PM
45 12