New Feature I am IN LOVE WITH - SMART LOCK

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I tried using the feature on my previous phone the s7 edge and it was hit and miss wether it'd work.

I read somewhere a person dropped extra pins on google maps to improve accuracy.

I'm also not sure how much extra resources and battery this feature uses.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I tried using the feature on my previous phone the s7 edge and it was hit and miss wether it'd work.

I read somewhere a person dropped extra pins on google maps to improve accuracy.

I'm also not sure how much extra resources and battery this feature uses.
I haven't noticed any extra drain. It doesn't use GPS constantly to watch .. just periodic checks. That is why if I get home and it hasn't seen I'm home yet I do something to ping GPS and it'll notice.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I haven't noticed any extra drain. It doesn't use GPS constantly to watch .. just periodic checks. That is why if I get home and it hasn't seen I'm home yet I do something to ping GPS and it'll notice.

Thing is I'd rather the phone did it's thing without me having to invoke anything. :(

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thing is I'd rather the phone did it's thing without me having to invoke anything. :(

It usually will since it periodically updates.

The thing is you say you don't want battery drain .. But want it to be always perfect .. You can't have both :p. One messes with the other. To be accurate 24/7 the GPS would have to just sit on the entire time to ensure where you are at all times.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
It usually will since it periodically updates.

The thing is you say you don't want battery drain .. But want it to be always perfect .. You can't have both :p. One messes with the other. To be accurate 24/7 the GPS would have to just sit on the entire time to ensure where you are at all times.

Good point. :)

The19thD0CT0R

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I very much like and use Smart Lock as well, but I hate when it locks at a location that should be trusted. I must have about 50 dropped pins around my house and work.

The thing I REALLY want is trusted WiFi networks. Ergo, when I am at home or work and on their WiFi, no lock. THAT should be a thing.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I never use smart lock. I want my device secured at all times. I have precious banking apps I don't need anybody else monkeying around with.

If your banking app doesn't require a fingerprint when opening then you need to change banks.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I use it with my Asus ZenWatch 3. As long as I'm near my phone it stays unlocked. To add to the daisy chain: as long as my unlocked phone is near my Chromebook Plus the Chromebook stays unlocked.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I very much like and use Smart Lock as well, but I hate when it locks at a location that should be trusted. I must have about 50 dropped pins around my house and work.

The thing I REALLY want is trusted WiFi networks. Ergo, when I am at home or work and on their WiFi, no lock. THAT should be a thing.

My guess as to why they don't have trusted WiFi networks is due to them being easily spoofable -- Such as if you know someone connects to "Starbucks" you can make a hotspot that is open and it will connect / unlock the phone.

Just my guess.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
If your banking app doesn't require a fingerprint when opening then you need to change banks.
I use an app called Fingerprint Security that you can add an app to that requires fps to unlock an app even though you may be in a smart lock area that leaves hour phone open. For example, if my phone is open at home and is unlocked and I want to check our investments I still have to use my fingerprint to unlock the app. It's an added layer of security and it works very well.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I use an app called Fingerprint Security that you can add an app to that requires fps to unlock an app even though you may be in a smart lock area that leaves hour phone open. For example, if my phone is open at home and is unlocked and I want to check our investments I still have to use my fingerprint to unlock the app. It's an added layer of security and it works very well.

That app was huge news back when it was released, for some reason it hasn't being the hit I thought it would be.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This is such a great feature. Find it in settings, then lock screen security, then smart lock.

In a nutshell it will keep your phone unlocked in places you trust.

For me, I have my work address setup so now I never have to unlock my phone while im in the office. Also setup to link to my car's wifi so whenever I am in my car I don't have to unlock my phone which gets annoying.

AMAZING.

Fair warning about Trusted Locations - it doesn't always lock your device when it should. See http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...plus/793790-problems-smart-lock-new-post.html for a current thread on this subject.

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site

You can set it for trusted device, e.g., a particular Wi-Fi or Bluetooth device, rather than location.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Personally I don't trust it because it allows anyone access to ur phone when you are in that area...I prefer to keep my phone locked

tcjohnsson

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I would love Smart Lock if it were actually consistent. I have to unlock my phone several times a day when in a trusted place or well within range of an added BT device. It would be amazing if it weren't so buggy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12