Having issues with wireless charging

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I just tried my GS8 encased by the GS8 Defender edition case and my wife's GS7 encased by the GS7 Defender edition case on the Samsung wireless charging pad that I got when I purchased my GS6. No issues. Could it be an issue with the charging coil in your GS8? If it is and your GS8 should returnable and exchanged for a new device.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
This is a known issue, been reported everywhere, including here, with varying success using different charging pads. If the phone charges correctly using the furnished cable and wall brick then the phone is okay. Supposition is Samsung may have limited fast wireless charging using older pads. No proof that I've seen but they say only the new $99 Samsung pad is approved for the S8s fast charge.
I'm wondering if after the note 7 thing Samsung is setting up the S8 to be really conservative over what chargers allow it to fast charge. I have no proof of this, but from a business point of view I can see them tuning things conservatively

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I just tried my GS8 encased by the GS8 Defender edition case and my wife's GS7 encased by the GS7 Defender edition case on the Samsung wireless charging pad that I got when I purchased my GS6. No issues. Could it be an issue with the charging coil in your GS8? If it is and your GS8 should returnable and exchanged for a new device.

Well since others are having this same exact problem I'd like to think that my device is fine and not the issue. I've yet to try it out with the newer model fast charger though.

jpriest007

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
That looks like the old charger. I would take it back. Those sales people really don't know what their trying to push on you sometimes. They are given a list by their boss of which accessories they should push on you depending on which phone you are buying. I'm on Verizon when I got my S8+ he tried push USB-C to micro usb converters on me. Said I really would need them, he didn't even look in the box. The phone came with two. I recommend you go to Best buy if there is one near by. They Samsung techs there that can show you the right charger.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I find it funny, maybe it is the phone.

I have 5 different wireless chargers 2 Tylt, 1 Off brand, 2 Samsung wireless fast chargers from my S7 edge and a car charger and they all work flawlessly. I even went to Ikea and tried the several different ones they have there built into furniture and those worked as well.

Not saying I am special, but maybe it is the phone and not the chargers.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I find it funny, maybe it is the phone.

I have 5 different wireless chargers 2 Tylt, 1 Off brand, 2 Samsung wireless fast chargers from my S7 edge and a car charger and they all work flawlessly. I even went to Ikea and tried the several different ones they have there built into furniture and those worked as well.

Not saying I am special, but maybe it is the phone and not the chargers.

Dang that is a lot of wireless charging :p. I still don't have one yet .. One day I will buy one .. One day :-x

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Some Galaxy S8 and S8+ users are having problems with Qi wireless charging

There's an article with a video demonstrating the exact same thing I'm experiencing. Except he's using the stand up charger. I really don't want to think that the issue is within the phone.

I called Sprint this morning, I meant to days ago but I've been so busy, and they told me to come on up and we'll figure out the problem. So I'm going to test to see if it works on the stand model or possibly swap out the one I have.

UPDATE: Okay! So! I just tried it with a regular non-fast charging block, and the wireless charging works just fine that way. It's only the fast charging that doesn't want to work wirelessly. I got the idea to try it this way from an official Samsung support thread from someone experiencing the same issue. That relieves me!!!

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
It should work with any qi charger.... IMO you should take it in and get a replacement.

I'm going in to Sprint today to figure it out. I REALLY don't want to have to exchange the phone, because besides that every little thing is absolutely flawless. This thread here: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/GS8QA/page/1/thread-id/232 shows that MANY others are experiencing the same problem. I got the idea to try it with a regular charging block rather than the fast charging one, and that worked just fine, without any issues. So I know the phone can wirelessly charge. Many in that Samsung thread are saying that they have no issues with the newer model charger. I'm going to try testing it out with the stand-up charger when I get to the Sprint store. See if they'll work with me and I could possibly get that one instead.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah.... I got on board earrly with the note 4 I think. Purchased the wireless back for it.

Yeah I had them on previous phones but when I got rid of the phones I always bundled it with the sale to make the pot sweeter. If anything I probably would buy the Samsung Standing Fast Wireless Charger -- That one looks cool :p.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm going in to Sprint today to figure it out. I REALLY don't want to have to exchange the phone, because besides that every little thing is absolutely flawless. This thread here: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/GS8QA/page/1/thread-id/232 shows that MANY others are experiencing the same problem. I got the idea to try it with a regular charging block rather than the fast charging one, and that worked just fine, without any issues. So I know the phone can wirelessly charge. Many in that Samsung thread are saying that they have no issues with the newer model charger. I'm going to try testing it out with the stand-up charger when I get to the Sprint store. See if they'll work with me and I could possibly get that one instead.

I gotcha. But like I said mine works with every charger I can find what like 5 or 6 different ones I don't see why you're shouldn't too.

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
That's what I said back in post #17 .

Yes, so since the phone is only officially approved to work with the new wireless charger, I'll test it out on there and if there's still a problem I'll start to worry. I'm at least glad that I found out that it'll non-fast charge on the wireless pad I have.

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Just an update, Sprint allowed me to swap out the old charging pad for the newer model stand-up one and the fast charge works just fine with it. I'm actually quite happy with how this worked out because in the end I ended up paying nearly nothing for a brand new model charger. Yay. :)

afh3

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Have four S8/S8+ phones in the house.

Have twelve (yep, a dozen) Samsung Wireless Fast chargers in the house. They are a mix of the older flat, the stand and the new convertible fast-charge pads. You can pretty much set a phone down somewhere in the house and there is a high probability it will be sitting on a charger.

So far, no combination of phone/charger fails to operate properly, although with 48 total permutations I suppose not every one has been tried out yet.

Something wasn't right with your hardware.