Having experience with the Gear VR using y previous S7 Edge, I wasn't prepared for the interchangeable USB connector to pop off causing my S8 Plus to come crashing to the floor with no case to protect it. It's not a safe, stable way of affixing your phone to the headset. I got lucky. No damage. If my screen broke because of this flaky system I'd be very much more upset.
    Denisej likes this.
    05-05-2017 07:40 PM
    Got an error message the first time, so...apologies for the double post.
    05-05-2017 08:04 PM
    You do realize there is a little lock switch on the USB connector, right? When locked, the USB connector doesn't just pop off. When unlocked, the USB connector does just slide out...
    Denisej likes this.
    05-05-2017 08:10 PM
    You do realize there is a little lock switch on the USB connector, right? When locked, the USB connector doesn't just pop off. When unlocked, the USB connector does just slide out...
    Yup...saw that...after the fact
    Nubwy likes this.
    05-05-2017 08:30 PM
    Odd. Mine wouldn't even let me start using the setup until I locked the connector. I wondered what was wrong then I saw the switch. Locked it and it worked fine.
    05-05-2017 09:09 PM
    Still I don't like sticking my phone in it with those plastic tabs coming into contact with the glass which doesnt take much to scratch. I saved my S7 Edge to use with the head gear. I'm not putting my 850 phone in it! I don't use it much it just sits in its box.
    05-05-2017 09:20 PM
    I must admit I used my vr headset with my previous phone the s7 edge a handful of times and the initial experience was awesome but I faded away from wanting to use it.

The issues I've read of people experiencing different types of damage to their phones from these makes me even more not want to use one.

Maybe one offs as I assume millions use them without issues.
    05-06-2017 12:24 AM
    I must admit I used my vr headset with my previous phone the s7 edge a handful of times and the initial experience was awesome but I faded away from wanting to use it.

The issues I've read of people experiencing different types of damage to their phones from these makes me even more not want to use one.

Maybe one offs as I assume millions use them without issues.
    Plus a lot of the apps/games for it you must purchase too. I don't mind putting my S7 Edge in it but I just don't like the hard plastic holders clamping onto my phone and risk some kind of crack.

I think eventually they will have the technology perfected, but I think we are about 2-3 years away from that. Just like these smartwatches when they first came out. I think in another year they will have it perfected with the Gear s4.
    05-06-2017 12:41 AM
    Still I don't like sticking my phone in it with those plastic tabs coming into contact with the glass which doesnt take much to scratch. I saved my S7 Edge to use with the head gear. I'm not putting my 850 phone in it! I don't use it much it just sits in its box.
    There is no metal in it. As you said they are plastic. Plastic cannot scratch glass. If you rub REALLY hard you might scuff it with plastic, which is really just the plastic coming off and marking the glass (like a crayon) but it won't physically scratch it.
    05-06-2017 08:21 AM
    but I just don't like the hard plastic holders clamping onto my phone and risk some kind of crack.
    Those spring loaded tabs aren't going to scratch, or cause cracks to your precious phone.
    05-07-2017 03:42 PM
    I've never tried the gear VR or any other similar device. Getting the free one from my S8+ purchase will be my first. I agree we are still a couple of years from perfecting it and the fact that its plastic because its basically just a $100 to buy it outright isn't a surprise. If you want better quality go with a Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. I don't see those flying off the shelves for $800.
    05-07-2017 04:07 PM