iPhone to S8 Switchers

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
So I have had my S8 for 3 to 3 1/2 weeks now and carried my iPhone for the first time since getting it on Saturday. What a difference a few weeks makes. I just felt the 7plus was to bulky but the battery life was better. What really makes it for me is I confirmed that the S8, at least for me at my job holds onto signal better. The iPhone would not let me use the data or even my phone in my office, but the S8 would.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I've had my S8+ since the 19th of April. My iPhone 7+ has been out of commission since then. I haven't even missed it. Usually, by now, I would has switched​ back to the iPhone for a while. Not this time. I'm hooked on this Sammy.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
There is nothing Apple could make that would make me go back to iPhone. Their phones are just way too boring for me. They are missing way too many features that I actually use on Android. I love Apple for their laptops, but I despise their phones.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: iPhone swichers

Having all 20,000 of my photos in iCloud was the biggest drag for me. I got them moved to Dropbox but really very unhappy with Dropbox as a photo solution would love to find a better alternative.
Do you still have your iPhone? If so, install Google photos and then have Google photos sync to your photos. Then turn your iPhone off and install Google photos on ur Samsung. That's how I did it. I Singh use the stock Samsung photos app.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Converted from an iPhone last week. No regrets going to Samsung. Was a heavy Apple Pay user but Samsung pay opens even more doors.

I'm running action launcher which is great as well. Allows you more customizability than the stock UI.

Pulled out my iPhone yesterday and powered it on just to see what it was like. After a couple minutes I powered it back off and put it away.

jwsnj3rd

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Would it kill Samsung to make apps on a phone that actually work, so I don't have to hunt third-party apps in the app store and see if they work

anon(39328)

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I've had the s8 for about a month now. I came from iPhone 7+. I still have the 7+, because the plan was to switch back and forth every now and then... It's been in a drawer since I put my sim in the s8. So far, I haven't been all that interested in using it. I will probably keep it for at least a few more months in case my opinion of the s8 changes from how I feel about it now. So far, I'm really enjoying it! This is my first Samsung phone. Up until now, I've never been all that impressed with Samsung devices.

So anyway, here are the things I like:

- The screen is beautiful. 'nuff said.
- The camera is great.
- The dimensions are perfect. Love the bigger screen on a smaller phone.
- Secure folder is great for keeping my work email, files, notes, etc separate from my personal stuff.
- I like not having to deal with iTunes. In fact, I've uninstalled it from my Windows pc.
- App quality is much better than it was last time I used Android. Pretty much on par with iOS apps.
- BT streaming sound quality in my truck seems to be much better than with the iPhone.
- Smart lock features are awesome, though seems a bit buggy.
- I love being able to decide for myself whether having a dark theme is the right choice for ME.
- Samsung pay (using Gear S3) is useful in more places than Apple Pay.

Things that could be better:

- Smart lock breaks itself after a few days. Phone will unlock when it's not supposed to. Fixes with reboot.
- Stock keyboard is not very good. Autocorrect is also not very good. Swiftkey fixes this problem.
- I'm pretty much indifferent about the curved screen. It looks nice, but I just don't see the point.

Things I miss from iPhone:

- Finger print sensor on the front.
- Aluminum body vs glass.
- I miss hands free Siri. I wish Google Assistant worked without having to unlock the phone.
- While I think the s8 takes better pictures overall, I think iPhone's portrait mode is much better than selective focus. I also miss 2x mode from the dual camera setup.

That's pretty much it, so far.

slingshot202

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

The only thing I miss about my iPhone is 1. FaceTime/Imessage which I made my kids who are still on iPhone download WhatsApp for that as a substitute (I pay for the phone, I get a say) and 2. I miss having findmyiphone/find friends since my kids are minors and at times I want to know where they are.

I put my SIM back into my iPhone the other day and had a hard time using it, I am so use to my customized screen which is nothing since I just have nothing on it really that it was hard. Never thought I would get rid of the iPhone but so far I am happy with this device. Best part about this over all is it gets signal that works in my work and my iPhone would show signal but I could never get anything to load.

I too suggest Google photos. I have been uploading all of mine to it for a couple of months and its great.

I downloaded xFi Locator from the Goole Play store to track my kids. Works better than the FindMyPhone app on the actual iPHone to me! :)

CJ

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site

I downloaded xFi Locator from the Goole Play store to track my kids. Works better than the FindMyPhone app on the actual iPHone to me! :)

CJ

I downloaded that as well. I wish it gave me the option to lock the phone like I can with the FindmyIphone. Wish I knew what "Focus" was on it.

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Loving the S8+ coming from the iPhone 7 Plus. Been amazing actually. Very good decision making the move. Couldn't​ even think of going back to the iPhone.

Lusosi

Aug 2, 2017
Visit site

I switched from the iPhone 7 Plus and after a few weeks I'm already back with the iPhone. I had the pink tint issues in three consecutive phones. Apart from that, I was having a really hard time without iMessage and some of the apps on Android are decidedly flaky (e.g. the app of my electronic door lock which would unlock the door every single time I took the S8+ out of airplane mode).

And thirdly, the S8+ just never felt as snappy as the iPhone 7 Plus. Slower overall loading time, minor hickups here and there, just all contributed to a less than stellar user experience. I live in Europe, so it might be the Exynos processor's fault.

I know that the Apple ecosystem is frequently criticized but at least it exists. With Android, everything is a bit patchworky and messy. It's much like trying to switch to Windows from Apple. Sure, it'll work and you can tweak the OS more, but would you really want to other than for financial reasons?

Lusosi

Aug 2, 2017
Visit site

I absolutely agree with you, I have been with iphone from 1 up to 7 and decided to give the S7 Edge a try considering I know alot of my friends boast how awsome they are.

What I didn't take into consideration is the significant and almost life changing difference it would be to go from Iphone to Samsung.

Compared to the iphone the samsung tends to lag and slower loading when it comes to using almost any app especially when my wifi service is nbn.

I feel like the samsung gives you too many options some of which are not necessary when it comes to the settings making it over whelming to figure out which function does what and why. Where as iphone was simple, user friendly and easy although I will point out that connecting to and using itunes to sync, add and change things on the iphone can be fustrating sometimes.

The arrangement of apps on the samsung looks so messy and cluttered despite the fact you can customise them more than the iphone the iphone still looks more tidy and organised which makes it user friendly for most.

Being a music lover myself I haved used my Beats by Dre headpones on both phones and the iphone wins hands down for loud bassy hip hop head bobbing goodness for my ears. Which was disappointing because the samsung has a hearing adapt setting that I thought would win me over but it didn't when listening to music it wasn't as loud as the iphone even after changing the equalizer to suit and listening to music via spotify.

At this stage I am looking to send my S7 Edge via cooling off period back in exchange for an iphone. I am a little concerned that considering Steve Jobs passing what lies ahead for myself as an iphone user if the company will be able to evolve and live up to the apple reputation.

sd13

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site

I absolutely agree with you, I have been with iphone from 1 up to 7 and decided to give the S7 Edge a try considering I know alot of my friends boast how awsome they are.

What I didn't take into consideration is the significant and almost life changing difference it would be to go from Iphone to Samsung.

Compared to the iphone the samsung tends to lag and slower loading when it comes to using almost any app especially when my wifi service is nbn.

I feel like the samsung gives you too many options some of which are not necessary when it comes to the settings making it over whelming to figure out which function does what and why. Where as iphone was simple, user friendly and easy although I will point out that connecting to and using itunes to sync, add and change things on the iphone can be fustrating sometimes.

The arrangement of apps on the samsung looks so messy and cluttered despite the fact you can customise them more than the iphone the iphone still looks more tidy and organised which makes it user friendly for most.

Being a music lover myself I haved used my Beats by Dre headpones on both phones and the iphone wins hands down for loud bassy hip hop head bobbing goodness for my ears. Which was disappointing because the samsung has a hearing adapt setting that I thought would win me over but it didn't when listening to music it wasn't as loud as the iphone even after changing the equalizer to suit and listening to music via spotify.

At this stage I am looking to send my S7 Edge via cooling off period back in exchange for an iphone. I am a little concerned that considering Steve Jobs passing what lies ahead for myself as an iphone user if the company will be able to evolve and live up to the apple reputation.

You lost me at beats headphones. JK....I agreed the S7 has it's hiccups but the s8 runs as smooth as an iPhone 7 with the right tweaks such as system wide ad blocker which makes the phone butter smooth and lightning fast. The only thing I miss from iPhone is the standby battery life. Although , screen on time and wireless charging more than make up for it.