iPhone to S8 Switchers

JOHNGAETANO

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Any users switch from the iPhone to the S8+ and are you happy? Are you missing the ecosystem at all, or do the two ecosystems work well together.

Thanks!

tattooed4515

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
Re: iPhone swichers

I switched from the 7 plus. Only thing I miss is the 3d touch quick reply on the lock screen. Not that big of a deal to me though. I love this phone. After using this phone the iPhone feels like a smart phone made by vtech.

brianjsw

May 28, 2012
Visit site

Having all 20,000 of my photos in iCloud was the biggest drag for me. I got them moved to Dropbox but really very unhappy with Dropbox as a photo solution would love to find a better alternative.

dobag

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

I switched, android is just more functional, the os give you more. For me it's all the little things that iOS doesn't have. I have the s8 plus, amazing phone.

chrisnmn

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

I am switching as Im writing this. Just got home and my S8 has a firmware update. I have played with it before doing this. Amazing phone so far. absolutely NOT missing anything from my iphone 6 (128gb). Intuitive, powerful, and totally looking forward to see what else I can do. Im no stranger to android tho. Yet all my house runs on Apple (computers, tv, etc) so nothing against them.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

Having all 20,000 of my photos in iCloud was the biggest drag for me. I got them moved to Dropbox but really very unhappy with Dropbox as a photo solution would love to find a better alternative.

Use google Photos instead

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
iPhone swichers

I switched from the iPhone 7 Plus and after a few weeks I'm already back with the iPhone. I had the pink tint issues in three consecutive phones. Apart from that, I was having a really hard time without iMessage and some of the apps on Android are decidedly flaky (e.g. the app of my electronic door lock which would unlock the door every single time I took the S8+ out of airplane mode).

And thirdly, the S8+ just never felt as snappy as the iPhone 7 Plus. Slower overall loading time, minor hickups here and there, just all contributed to a less than stellar user experience. I live in Europe, so it might be the Exynos processor's fault.

I know that the Apple ecosystem is frequently criticized but at least it exists. With Android, everything is a bit patchworky and messy. It's much like trying to switch to Windows from Apple. Sure, it'll work and you can tweak the OS more, but would you really want to other than for financial reasons?

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site

Hi,

I've been using iPhones since the iPhone 4 up to the iPhone 6 Plus and was so disappointed with the iPhone 7 my eye wandered ;)

To the Samsung Galaxy s7 edge which I used for 8 months and then moved to the s8.

Took a few weeks at first to adjust to the hardware and platform change.

It's been nothing but a positive experience and interesting learning curve too.

The customisation on these things are off the chart.

To be honest I haven't really missed anything that the iPhone did to what my s8 does now.
I rarely used iMessage and FaceTime.

I still use a MacBook Air, iPad Air and iPod Nano 7th generation but not because of this so called ecosystem but because right now they do what I need. When they fail or I need to upgrade then I'll consider other options.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

Google photos will upload all photos.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site

The only thing I miss about my iPhone is 1. FaceTime/Imessage which I made my kids who are still on iPhone download WhatsApp for that as a substitute (I pay for the phone, I get a say) and 2. I miss having findmyiphone/find friends since my kids are minors and at times I want to know where they are.

I put my SIM back into my iPhone the other day and had a hard time using it, I am so use to my customized screen which is nothing since I just have nothing on it really that it was hard. Never thought I would get rid of the iPhone but so far I am happy with this device. Best part about this over all is it gets signal that works in my work and my iPhone would show signal but I could never get anything to load.

I too suggest Google photos. I have been uploading all of mine to it for a couple of months and its great.

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

I have all my photos in Google Photos. Wife has an iPhone and I use the S8+. All photos show on both phones. It works great. Have about 18,000 in there right now.

That said I'm coming from the iPhone 7 Plus for the last 7 months. I had Android before so I know what to expect. If it wasn't for the Note 7 recall I would have never had the iPhone in the first place. Hands down the S8 trumps the iPhone IMO.

Only thing I kinda miss is iMessage but it really isn't that big of a deal to me. It's been a pleasant experience with the S8. Not a single regret leaving the iPhone.

Amazing screen
Great battery life
Freedom to customize
Can even just download a ringtone and set it lol and no iTunes

alpha752

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

Like the others I had an iPhone from 4-6s. Just got a galaxy 8+ about a week ago. The only things I miss are imessage, because the rest of the family is on it. And the emojis. I hate the Samsung emojis, but that's not a big deal.

I am having a hard time learning to type again, I was super fast and smooth on the iPhone but it's like a whole different world typing on this thing. I'm trying SwiftKey, hoping it learns how I type to help, but I'm still struggling.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

Like the others I had an iPhone from 4-6s. Just got a galaxy 8+ about a week ago. The only things I miss are imessage, because the rest of the family is on it. And the emojis. I hate the Samsung emojis, but that's not a big deal.

I am having a hard time learning to type again, I was super fast and smooth on the iPhone but it's like a whole different world typing on this thing. I'm trying SwiftKey, hoping it learns how I type to help, but I'm still struggling.

Despite the fact that I've had google keyboard / gboard on a variety of Android devices, I'm still typing at least a third faster on the iPhone 7 Plus

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site

Gboard is what I use and I really like it. Also give Textra a try, you can actually download the iOS emoji pack for Textra.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site

The only thing I miss about my iPhone is 1. FaceTime/Imessage which I made my kids who are still on iPhone download WhatsApp for that as a substitute (I pay for the phone, I get a say) and 2. I miss having findmyiphone/find friends since my kids are minors and at times I want to know where they are.

I've been using the paid version of this app for over a year now and it's been pretty flawless in terms of Find My iPhone. And the developer really keeps up with it too. (It also works to find Android phones, btw.) https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....nativefindmyiphone.lite&hl=en&token=d2-lLOQ2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance