iPhone to S8 Switchers

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: iPhone swichers

I don't know if you have an iPad but if you do then you can use Find My iPhone app through tablet when needed. No matter if I've gone from iPhone to Android to iPhone... for me no better tablet than the iPad.

Text syncing between iPhone and iPad is a feature I'd miss. Nice to be using your tablet for browsing/news and can receive/send texts from iPad.

Thank you, it does work. Only thing I don't see is being able to put the phone in lost mode.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

Any users switch from the iPhone to the S8+ and are you happy? Are you missing the ecosystem at all, or do the two ecosystems work well together.

Thanks!

I miss 3d touch and double tapping the home button to bring down the screen. Also some app versions are better on iOS.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site

I don't know if you have an iPad but if you do then you can use Find My iPhone app through tablet when needed. No matter if I've gone from iPhone to Android to iPhone... for me no better tablet than the iPad.

Text syncing between iPhone and iPad is a feature I'd miss. Nice to be using your tablet for browsing/news and can receive/send texts from iPad.

I do not have a tablet but have a MacBook which I use iCloud.com at times, but I like to be able to check when I desire and at times thats when I am out and about.

mpshah

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

I have switched back and forth between an iPhone and Android for the last year and currently have an IP7+ and the S8+, I am using the S8+ and the IP is in the draw for now.

The truth is I miss something from each when I am using the other. I'd echo what the others have said in iMessage and Facetime, I also miss the general app slickness and dual lens camera and sensibly placed finger print sensor. Battery life is also better on the iPhone for sure. I love the look and feel of the S8+ but also still really like the feel of the 7+ in the hand and do prefer the metal back to glass tbh.

When I have switched back to using the iPhone though there are lots of things I miss from Android too.
I'm of the same opinion. Used the S8+ for a week, loved every bit of it but then this morning I swapped my swim and went back to the iPhone 7+. Overall I missed the apple ecosystem and just the smoothness of iOS. But then again picked up the S8+ in the evening and realized what I'm missing. Oh well as they say, #firstworldproblems .

azputerman

Feb 16, 2017
Visit site

Having all 20,000 of my photos in iCloud was the biggest drag for me. I got them moved to Dropbox but really very unhappy with Dropbox as a photo solution would love to find a better alternative.
I like the Google photos solution. It's unlimited with the compression, which is good enough for me. Any photos that I want to keep full resolution​ I archive to Blu-ray disc for safe storage.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site

"OK Google" not working properly and the continued existence of patented Samsung laggy scrolling is probably going to bring an end to my S8+ use. May seem trivial, but those are two biggies for me. And as good as the S8+ battery life is - and it's very good - it still doesn't touch my 7+ in that area.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I miss 3d touch and double tapping the home button to bring down the screen. Also some app versions are better on iOS.

I hear you but I really think that the Swipe to minimize on the S8 is faster to do than the double tap on the iPhone. Like I've mentioned before it's even superior to the iPhone because you can adjust the screen size, in order to do it just do a single movement on the swipe, I mean, when you swipe and it minimize don't lift your finger from the screen and simply keep moving it up or down (diagonally) and it will adjust, like I said, in one single movement, otherwise it won't work.

Once you master the above, believe me, you won't miss the double tap on the iphone at all.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

I hear you but I really think that the Swipe to minimize on the S8 is faster to do than the double tap on the iPhone. Like I've mentioned before it's even superior to the iPhone because you can adjust the screen size, in order to do it just do a single movement on the swipe, I mean, when you swipe and it minimize don't lift your finger from the screen and simply keep moving it up or down (diagonally) and it will adjust, like I said, in one single movement, otherwise it won't work.

Once you master the above, believe me, you won't miss the double tap on the iphone at all.

Sounds like I've been missing something. Im going to mess with it again.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site

You do it through the Textra app itself under settings. It allows you to change the emoji style and then routes you to the Google play store to download the emoji pack. iOS emojis are what I use with Textra on every Android phone.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

You don't need FaceTime. Google Duo works exactly the same way as FaceTime and it's available on iOS as well. Just get your family to download the app (for free!) and Google Duo away.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site

You don't need FaceTime. Google Duo works exactly the same way as FaceTime and it's available on iOS as well. Just get your family to download the app (for free!) and Google Duo away.
I had mine do WhatsApp so we can have iMessage like features and be able to send higher quality files.

redhawk24

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Haven't ever used an iOS device outside of an iPod touch a few years ago, but I just started working in tech support for iOS so it's insightful to see the biggest differences. I'm also getting copious amounts of **** for the fact that I'm using an S8+. :p

Vipmediastar

Apr 11, 2017
Visit site
I finally got a video. Why is video so choppy on android. When I received videos on ios from iphone to iphone it was smooth and good quality. was it because it was sent via imessage to imessage?

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
I finally got a video. Why is video so choppy on android. When I received videos on ios from iphone to iphone it was smooth and good quality. was it because it was sent via imessage to imessage?

That's the problem with going from iMessage to MMS, and why people have to convince/force friends and family to use a third-party app in order to get iMessage type video quality. It is the biggest drawback of the switch, to me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's the problem with going from iMessage to MMS, and why people have to convince/force friends and family to use a third-party app in order to get iMessage type video quality. It is the biggest drawback of the switch, to me.

Hopefully one day the carriers will do what they say and enable RCS Messaging which will resolve these issues.

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully one day the carriers will do what they say and enable RCS Messaging which will resolve these issues.
Yeah my carrier Rogers in Canada has it enabled and friends that have Android phones on Rogers don't like Android Messages so I'm still out of luck lol

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I understand iMessage benefits, in fact, my daughters and wife all have iPhones so when I change to iPhone every once in a while I use it with them but not for messaging but for the new games within the apps, but even when I have an iPhone as my daily driver, I force them to use Whatsapp, I simply created a family group on it and all the communications go through it.

I've never been an SMS guy, in fact I kind of hate it, like I said even when I can use iMessage I never use it as my regular messaging option, so one thing I'm sure, a single feature like this one, no matter how good it can be, won't dicatate which phone I'm buying, I simply can't see myself involved in a situation that I must say; iPhones bores me to death, I hate those huge bezels, the HD IPS screen are not on the same league as the QHD AMOLED screen but I can't leave them because I use iMessage, or FindMyfriends in my case. I always look for an alternative, for family, WhatsApp and even Google Duo and the new Google Location Sharing to know the whereabouts of my daughters. For the rest of friends, if they don't have WhatsApp or Duo and not want to use them, that's their problems, not mine, if they need to contact me then they must call me instead.

Just my .02...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781