iPhone to S8 Switchers

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
I switched from a 7 to the S8 plus. The only thing that I really miss is iMessage and FaceTime. Otherwise I'm really happy with the S8 plus

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Ive ordered an IPhone 7Plus to have, even if temporarily, until I decide whether I'll go with the Note 8 once it's announced and I've had time to examine in display stores. IPhone will be a backup in case my 8+decides to stop responding again on me. Factory reset last night and set up manually after, not restoring a thing. Ok so far.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
Ive ordered an IPhone 7Plus to have, even if temporarily, until I decide whether I'll go with the Note 8 once it's announced and I've had time to examine in display stores. IPhone will be a backup in case my 8+decides to stop responding again on me. Factory reset last night and set up manually after, not restoring a thing. Ok so far.

Can you come back at some point in the near future and update us on the performance of your s8+ at that time? I'm considering a full factory reset and setup like new with no restore, because I just straight up transferred everything directly from my iPhone 7+ and it's been on and off janky ever since. Mostly on, unfortunately. I'm really wondering if a factory reset might make a huge difference and I should just stop being lazy and get it over with, but I'm interested in the opinion of those who've actually done it and have used it for a bit without stutter or lag.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Can you come back at some point in the near future and update us on the performance of your s8+ at that time? I'm considering a full factory reset and setup like new with no restore, because I just straight up transferred everything directly from my iPhone 7+ and it's been on and off janky ever since. Mostly on, unfortunately. I'm really wondering if a factory reset might make a huge difference and I should just stop being lazy and get it over with, but I'm interested in the opinion of those who've actually done it and have used it for a bit without stutter or lag.
So far the factory reset nonrestore /manual add apps back has worked well on my 8+. It's only been about 8 hours though and 5 yo 6 of those I was asleep.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
One thing I have noticed among my iPhone owning friends is they are considering an S8/S8+ now. Not all have bought but they are at least taking a look at the S8/S8+. Most have them have always stuck with the fruit

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
If I had one criticism of iPhone it would be call strength. My wife has to go to certain areas of the house to continue a conversation. And we both have Verizon.

This anecdotal but I have more than a few friends with the same problem.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I am not an IPhone person. I tried. I truly appreciate what they offer but personally I just can't do it. Returning my iPhone 7 plus backup and sticking with 8 plus for time being

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If I had one criticism of iPhone it would be call strength. My wife has to go to certain areas of the house to continue a conversation. And we both have Verizon.

This anecdotal but I have more than a few friends with the same problem.

I tried one the other day again (I haven't since the 6 Plus) .. But I tried a 7 plus. For me it was the small things such as seeing notifications at the top left with ease, the app functionality (timed texts, customization such as colors, etc.), and even the bluetooth settings where I can have one headset be used for media only and not calls. Nothing game breaking but the little things all add up.

I also like to see my -dBm but also the LTE Band I am on at the top left along with the bandwidth being used. On iPhone you can only get -dBm at the top and have to dive into a whole separate menu to see the Band.

Nerd complaints I know ... Normal people wouldn't care but they were enough to have me only last a few hours on the iPhone before jumping directly back to Android last night :p.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I tried one the other day again (I haven't since the 6 Plus) .. But I tried a 7 plus. For me it was the small things such as seeing notifications at the top left with ease, the app functionality (timed texts, customization such as colors, etc.), and even the bluetooth settings where I can have one headset be used for media only and not calls. Nothing game breaking but the little things all add up.

I also like to see my -dBm but also the LTE Band I am on at the top left along with the bandwidth being used. On iPhone you can only get -dBm at the top and have to dive into a whole separate menu to see the Band.

Nerd complaints I know ... Normal people wouldn't care but they were enough to have me only last a few hours on the iPhone before jumping directly back to Android last night :p.
Lol ! I have my IPhone 7Plus boxed up for return. Figured out after an hour that I was Android only.

iPhone2S817

Aug 23, 2017
Visit site
I switched from iPhone 7 Plus to Galaxy S8 (not +). I had it for 5 weeks before going back. For the first 3 weeks I loved it. The display was unreal. I loved the Android keyboard layout (number row over text...why can't Apple do that?). Consuming media from videos to reading books and articles was, for the most part, incredible. I loved the edge screen apps and customization. Bluetooth 5.0 behaved much better in my car than my 7 Plus, and I actually got better reception in areas that were normally dead spots. Yes, there was a learning curve switching from 6 years of iOS to Android, but I wanted to give it a fair shake because the S8 hardware is superior.

During the 4th week several things, 9 things specifically, that I thought were just small annoyances due to unfamiliarity became actual problems. Basically, after the honeymoon period with the gorgeous display and sleek hardware wore off, performance flaws with things I need and use every day for work and pleasure became unbearable to me.

1. Keyboard inaccuracy. Every Android keyboard I tried couldn't come close to iPhone stock keyboard's accuracy (yes, I used Gboard and Swiftkey in addition to Samsung stock board...and yes I swipe texted, which I also did on iPhone 3rd party boards). The unending typos became a productivity killer, which I couldn't stand.

2. Voice dictation innacuracy. Google Voice Assistant and the pre Bixby Samsung voice were terribly unintuitive and horribly innacurate when dictating texts and emails. They even wrote out "comma" instead of inserting the punctuation mark! That became a productivity killer.

3. No lie flat unlock. I wasn't bothered by the fingerprint sensor's placement on the back, but I missed being able to easily and quickly unlock my phone while it was laying flat on a desk or table, especially when looking at my phone while typing on a computer. With the S8 I had to stop, pick up the phone, and unlock it with Iris scanner to read my phone (I'm a security nut and I like to keep my phone locked when I'm not continuously using it). Again, another productivity killer.

4. Single speaker. I grew weary of the single speaker and missed my 7 Plus' awesome stereo speakers. It's embarrassing that Samsung didn't work stereo speakers into the S8/+ models.

5. App quality and functionality. It's absolutely true that Android app quality is inferior to iOS app quality, both aesthetics and function. Some apps that opened on iPhone with Touch ID (fingerprint) still required password entry and weren't finger print compatible with Android apps. That seemed prehistoric to me since I've been opening apps with fingerprint for more than a year. That began to really bug me. But, I have to say that right before I switched back the Android version of one of my key apps finally adopted finger print sign-on. But other apps lagged behind. Hopefully more progress has been made since I switched back to iPhone (can you smell the sequel?...)

6. Battery life. Although S8's battery life was good, it paled in comparison to iPhone 7 Plus. Specs mean nothing, actual performance means everything. iPhone's performance optimizations resulting from its uniform, closed hardware/software ecosystem create real efficiencies that make its battery perform far better than the specs indicate. I missed being able to make it to day's end on one charge. But, I've read and heard that the S8+ battery life meets 7 Plus (wait for it, wait for it...).

7. Software updates. Shortly after I switched back to the 7 Plus Apple released an iOS update. That right there is the Android killer. The fact that it can take up to and over 6-12 months for Samsung to release an Android update. Pixel and now Essential remedy that. But, Samsung needs to get with the program on that one. Immediate updates increase a phone's reliability, lifespan, and probably even resale value. It didn't bug me much for the 5 weeks I had the S8, especially since I think there was at least one software update during my time with the S8 (maybe experi need Android users can shed some light in this for me). But after switching back and promptly getting an iOS update I was reminded of how crucial those updates are to smooth functioning and security.

8. Screen aspect ratio. Ironically, the S8's greatest strength---the display--- became a weakness, at least for me. The S8's long and narrow aspect ratio (again not +) began to bother me because it was taller and narrower than my iPhone 7 Plus display and I missed the more "normal" aspect ratio.

9. Crash/reset. The straw that broke the camel's back during week 5 was my S8 all of a sudden rebooted itself without me doing it. I'd owned every iPhone from the 4S to the 7 Plus and during those 6 years not one of those phones ever crashed and reset. Ever. I had a flashback to my very first smartphone, a Motorola Droid, which worked well for the first month, then slowly but consistently grew buggier by the week until month 6 when my Droid was crashing and resetting 3-4 times per day. My wife's iPhone 4, which she got at the same time I got my Droid, still worked flawlessly as it did on day one. That's when I switched and got iPhone 4S when it was released and never looked back. I couldn't go back to that place again. So, toward the end of week 5 I hit the T-Mobile store and jumped back to the 7 Plus.

Now that T-Mobile's Jump on Demand plan, which I have, allows you to jump every month (i.e. every 30 days), I'm thinking of jumping to the Galaxy S8+ and giving Samsung and Android another chance (...there it is!...sequel!). Maybe stay for a month or two then jump to iPhone 8 after it's released, or if/when the S8+ starts rebooting on its own...but hopefully not. Maybe the S8+ will give me a bigger keyboard for greater accuracy and the bigger screen will look better. From what Ive seen of Bixby's voice assistant (now that it's out) it could give me the dictation accuracy I need. I'm also encouraged the more of my iOS Touch ID apps began opening with fingerprint on Android. I still think iPhone wins with overall app experience, app availability, and especially with software updates. But, the bigger S8+ screen, Bixby, and maturing apps could make me happy and possibly stay with Android...at least Samsung phones. Especially if Samsung puts through software updates when or within a few weeks of release. Then I might be a permanent Android user. But with T-Mobile's JOD I'll at least swing to the other side in occasion to experience what has become the standard in smartphone hardware advancement.

While iPhone still has some clear software and app advantages, Apple really needs to step up its game to keep pace with Samsung's smartphone hardware advances. It's not yet clear iPhone 8 will do that, especially if there's only one size of the edge to edge display model. I already know that phone is too small for me...hopefully they'll surprise us with 6.3" version? If not, I can see myself going to the Note 8 (specifically for the dual lenses camera and big screen) and waiting for a larger Apple edge to edge phone, hopefully, with iPhone 9.

Not yet interested in the Pixel or any other Android phone. Maybe when Pixel becomes water resistant and matures with hardware. For now, S8/S8+ and probably the Note 8 are the only Andriod phones to lure me away from iPhone.

Last edited:

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I loved the easiness and smoothness of the iPhone 7 Plus and it gels faultlessly with my Mac, Apple TVs, iTunes library etc... But I just don't like iOS and the apps that I always use on Android (if they are available for iOS) are never as good and always appear to be clunky

The S8+ is overall a much better phone for me, but the build screen size/lack of bezels and Android just work for me

I use iSyncr to transfer music from iTunes to my S8+
I've downloaded and use Cider TV to control my Apple TV (like the Remote app but for Android)
Truecaller is a perfect app for Android, it seriously lacks on iOS IMO
Swiftkey is also superb on Android, it's dulled on iOS

All in, iPhone 7 Plus, a lovely phone and superbly built, but lacks too much IMO compared to the S8 +

Scott Jamieson

Feb 12, 2018
Visit site
I’m thinking of swapping the 7 plus to the s8/plus but unsure. Loving the screen and the camera but my s7 edge only lasted a few months before I went back to iPhone. Truly bored of iOS.

Last edited:

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had the iPhone 7 for a while and then went to the Pixel 2. Loved it but wanted something with a little more screen real estate for my aging eyes. Settled on the S8 and I'm pretty pleased so far. It's not as fluid as the Pixel 2 but still works pretty good.

I was gonna wait for the S9 but thought I'd give the S8 a try first and then if I really like it I may upgrade to the S9. Jury's still out on that decision.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I switched from iPhone 7 Plus to Galaxy S8 (not +). I had it for 5 weeks before going back. For the first 3 weeks I loved it. The display was unreal. I loved the Android keyboard layout (number row over text...why can't Apple do that?). Consuming media from videos to reading books and articles was, for the most part, incredible. I loved the edge screen apps and customization. Bluetooth 5.0 behaved much better in my car than my 7 Plus, and I actually got better reception in areas that were normally dead spots. Yes, there was a learning curve switching from 6 years of iOS to Android, but I wanted to give it a fair shake because the S8 hardware is superior.

During the 4th week several things, 9 things specifically, that I thought were just small annoyances due to unfamiliarity became actual problems. Basically, after the honeymoon period with the gorgeous display and sleek hardware wore off, performance flaws with things I need and use every day for work and pleasure became unbearable to me.

1. Keyboard inaccuracy. Every Android keyboard I tried couldn't come close to iPhone stock keyboard's accuracy (yes, I used Gboard and Swiftkey in addition to Samsung stock board...and yes I swipe texted, which I also did on iPhone 3rd party boards). The unending typos became a productivity killer, which I couldn't stand.

2. Voice dictation innacuracy. Google Voice Assistant and the pre Bixby Samsung voice were terribly unintuitive and horribly innacurate when dictating texts and emails. They even wrote out "comma" instead of inserting the punctuation mark! That became a productivity killer.

3. No lie flat unlock. I wasn't bothered by the fingerprint sensor's placement on the back, but I missed being able to easily and quickly unlock my phone while it was laying flat on a desk or table, especially when looking at my phone while typing on a computer. With the S8 I had to stop, pick up the phone, and unlock it with Iris scanner to read my phone (I'm a security nut and I like to keep my phone locked when I'm not continuously using it). Again, another productivity killer.

4. Single speaker. I grew weary of the single speaker and missed my 7 Plus' awesome stereo speakers. It's embarrassing that Samsung didn't work stereo speakers into the S8/+ models.

5. App quality and functionality. It's absolutely true that Android app quality is inferior to iOS app quality, both aesthetics and function. Some apps that opened on iPhone with Touch ID (fingerprint) still required password entry and weren't finger print compatible with Android apps. That seemed prehistoric to me since I've been opening apps with fingerprint for more than a year. That began to really bug me. But, I have to say that right before I switched back the Android version of one of my key apps finally adopted finger print sign-on. But other apps lagged behind. Hopefully more progress has been made since I switched back to iPhone (can you smell the sequel?...)

6. Battery life. Although S8's battery life was good, it paled in comparison to iPhone 7 Plus. Specs mean nothing, actual performance means everything. iPhone's performance optimizations resulting from its uniform, closed hardware/software ecosystem create real efficiencies that make its battery perform far better than the specs indicate. I missed being able to make it to day's end on one charge. But, I've read and heard that the S8+ battery life meets 7 Plus (wait for it, wait for it...).

7. Software updates. Shortly after I switched back to the 7 Plus Apple released an iOS update. That right there is the Android killer. The fact that it can take up to and over 6-12 months for Samsung to release an Android update. Pixel and now Essential remedy that. But, Samsung needs to get with the program on that one. Immediate updates increase a phone's reliability, lifespan, and probably even resale value. It didn't bug me much for the 5 weeks I had the S8, especially since I think there was at least one software update during my time with the S8 (maybe experi need Android users can shed some light in this for me). But after switching back and promptly getting an iOS update I was reminded of how crucial those updates are to smooth functioning and security.

8. Screen aspect ratio. Ironically, the S8's greatest strength---the display--- became a weakness, at least for me. The S8's long and narrow aspect ratio (again not +) began to bother me because it was taller and narrower than my iPhone 7 Plus display and I missed the more "normal" aspect ratio.

9. Crash/reset. The straw that broke the camel's back during week 5 was my S8 all of a sudden rebooted itself without me doing it. I'd owned every iPhone from the 4S to the 7 Plus and during those 6 years not one of those phones ever crashed and reset. Ever. I had a flashback to my very first smartphone, a Motorola Droid, which worked well for the first month, then slowly but consistently grew buggier by the week until month 6 when my Droid was crashing and resetting 3-4 times per day. My wife's iPhone 4, which she got at the same time I got my Droid, still worked flawlessly as it did on day one. That's when I switched and got iPhone 4S when it was released and never looked back. I couldn't go back to that place again. So, toward the end of week 5 I hit the T-Mobile store and jumped back to the 7 Plus.

Now that T-Mobile's Jump on Demand plan, which I have, allows you to jump every month (i.e. every 30 days), I'm thinking of jumping to the Galaxy S8+ and giving Samsung and Android another chance (...there it is!...sequel!). Maybe stay for a month or two then jump to iPhone 8 after it's released, or if/when the S8+ starts rebooting on its own...but hopefully not. Maybe the S8+ will give me a bigger keyboard for greater accuracy and the bigger screen will look better. From what Ive seen of Bixby's voice assistant (now that it's out) it could give me the dictation accuracy I need. I'm also encouraged the more of my iOS Touch ID apps began opening with fingerprint on Android. I still think iPhone wins with overall app experience, app availability, and especially with software updates. But, the bigger S8+ screen, Bixby, and maturing apps could make me happy and possibly stay with Android...at least Samsung phones. Especially if Samsung puts through software updates when or within a few weeks of release. Then I might be a permanent Android user. But with T-Mobile's JOD I'll at least swing to the other side in occasion to experience what has become the standard in smartphone hardware advancement.

While iPhone still has some clear software and app advantages, Apple really needs to step up its game to keep pace with Samsung's smartphone hardware advances. It's not yet clear iPhone 8 will do that, especially if there's only one size of the edge to edge display model. I already know that phone is too small for me...hopefully they'll surprise us with 6.3" version? If not, I can see myself going to the Note 8 (specifically for the dual lenses camera and big screen) and waiting for a larger Apple edge to edge phone, hopefully, with iPhone 9.

Not yet interested in the Pixel or any other Android phone. Maybe when Pixel becomes water resistant and matures with hardware. For now, S8/S8+ and probably the Note 8 are the only Andriod phones to lure me away from iPhone.
1. I sometimes feel this is more of muscle memory than actual keyboard innaccuracy. The different aspect ratio means that the keyboard is squished together more and the key hotspots are much narrower. I have used Android for nearly 8 years and while I handle an iPhone 8 every now and then, I really am having difficulty with the iOS keyboard. Heck the number of typos I get switching to Gboard from Swiftkey (my daily driver) is annoying, what much more from iOS.

2. Never use it, so no comment.

3. This seems to be going away for most phones, and with iPhone X, it seems to be their direction too.

4. The S9 would be getting AKG tuned stereo speakers.

5. This is more a fault of the developer rather than Android though. But I understand the annoyance. I know the feeling when the bank my workplace got my payroll account for had no fingerprint support in their app, when my personal bank had it.

6. It's very subjective to your specific setup. But Android with all its features can eat battery like crazy. My mom and I can use the same phone but her battery life beats mine by miles.

7. This has to do more with all the features Samsung adds on top of Android. They can only start really beta testing the firmware for the update after the Android release is stable. For 2 years straight Samsung was only able to start Beta for the update a couple of weeks after official release of the updates for Pixels. So I doubt they'll really be able to move too fast with it. However Samsung already adds a lot of features that other than under the hood fixes, Android has to play catch up in terms of features.

tireboy66

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I've had the iPhone 7 for a while and then went to the Pixel 2. Loved it but wanted something with a little more screen real estate for my aging eyes. Settled on the S8 and I'm pretty pleased so far. It's not as fluid as the Pixel 2 but still works pretty good.

I was gonna wait for the S9 but thought I'd give the S8 a try first and then if I really like it I may upgrade to the S9. Jury's still out on that decision.
I feel your pain..went from a iPhone 6 to the s8+.. big difference..