Be Honest! As Much As You Love Your S8/S8+...

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
i actually just got A5 2016... Works perfect with Sammy Pay and i get full functionality of my Gear S3, never see a fingerprint! i know its no flagship but its so full of features and i just love the design, rose gold color and cost ($260 brandy new : ) so for now it will more than do till a more "chunky monkey" Samsung phone comes along....

and yes, i know (sigh) one may not, considering the direction they seem to be taking, but hopefully their mid-range line will still be a little fatter & cheaper, i used to be a "i HAVE to have a state of the art phone" sorta gal, but Note 7 & S8+ have sorta put the "kabash" on that, (at least for now) so with mid rangers offering up pretty great experiences these days, that's prolly where you'll find me...

View attachment 259440

Thanks for all the replies y'all, i guess for me its slimness is just something i wouldn't of adapted to, seeing how NONE of y'all were like "omg!! too skinny!!" y'all all seemed to be pretty much "take it or leave it, AT FIRST, and now most of y'all would prefer it...

not me, tho, i think its going to take me YEARS to adapt to it, i'm pretty sure, cuz it drove me nutz!! The entire 3 days of ownership i kept shaking my fists looking up at the Sammy G*ds and wuz like, "why?! why?! why?! You were perfect BEFORE this design!!

BTC

Awesome! I love your phone! And like you, I'm more interested into mid-range phones now than flagships - I bought an Honor 8 and love it! I think I will stay in the mid-range market for now. When they offer great specs at steals of a price, why do you have to grab a flagship? :) And thanks for the photo!

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I wish it was just a little wider. The screen ratio isn't perfect and has some screen clipping going on.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Awesome! I love your phone! And like you, I'm more interested into mid-range phones now than flagships - I bought an Honor 8 and love it! I think I will stay in the mid-range market for now. When they offer great specs at steals of a price, why do you have to grab a flagship? :) And thanks for the photo!

ty & yw!! i LOVED that Honor 8 when i played with it, very impressive. And their Emotion UI was so cool, the ONE thing i love about iphone was its O/S, and it was so cool having an "Apple-esque" experience but with a completely customizable Android phone. I woulda grabbed that up in a heartbeat, but my Samsung Gear S3 music player won't play nice with ANY other OEM's phone, and it will ONLY let you "receive" but not send replies to msgs, so i HAVE to have a "Samsung phone so watch will remain FULLY compatible."... Shame tho, cuz i'm lovin' me some Huawei & ZTE too these days ...that Axon 7 mini is amazing with its 3GB ram, great metal build quality and super loud stereo speakers for $249 : )

I think as far as the S8 goes, if they were to flatten their sides and just have curved rear the phone wouldn't appear as "skinny" and still be easy to hold. Hopefully, its what they have in the works for Note 8. (which i can pretty much predict now i'll be "oogling like crazy" but WON'T be buying..lol

Getting so much harder to shell out that kinda cash when mid rangers are costing 1/3 the price & making the line between mid-ranger and flagship so blurry!

BTC

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
ty & yw!! i LOVED that Honor 8 when i played with it, very impressive. And their Emotion UI was so cool, the ONE thing i love about iphone was its O/S, and it was so cool having an "Apple-esque" experience but with a completely customizable Android phone. I woulda grabbed that up in a heartbeat, but my Samsung Gear S3 music player won't play nice with ANY other OEM's phone, and it will ONLY let you "receive" but not send replies to msgs, so i HAVE to have a "Samsung phone so watch will remain FULLY compatible."... Shame tho, cuz i'm lovin' me some Huawei & ZTE too these days ...that Axon 7 mini is amazing with its 3GB ram, great metal build quality and super loud stereo speakers for $249 : )

I think as far as the S8 goes, if they were to flatten their sides and just have curved rear the phone wouldn't appear as "skinny" and still be easy to hold. Hopefully, its what they have in the works for Note 8. (which i can pretty much predict now i'll be "oogling like crazy" but WON'T be buying..lol

Getting so much harder to shell out that kinda cash when mid rangers are costing 1/3 the price & making the line between mid-ranger and flagship so blurry!

BTC

Sorry that the GS8 platform didn't work for you but that you found one that does meet your needs from an economic and technical perspective. After suffering through the pre-Android BlackBerry devices, I have made every effort to purchase flagship devices as they seem more future proof. I only skipped the GS5. GN8 seems like it's going to be a slightly larger GS8+ with an S Pen.

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
I was a little meh with the ratio. As I had thought the SG8+ was a rename of the Note I purchased it, I also haven't had a new phone since the early SGS5. So it was all excitement of having the latest and greatest. The aspect ratio has grown on me and is not a deterrent in anyway. Besides it would cost me too much to return the phone and to wait for the Note 8 to come out, so regardless of liking it or not, it is mine to use. But I like it a whole lot so no problem there.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

BTC

I couldn't agree with you more! I too love the Axon 7 and the Mini was cool too! Ah yes, I get what you're saying about your Samsung smartwatch - it's important to be able to sync that up!

Exactly: why pay for a flagship experience when mid-rangers pretty much deliver the same experience at a fraction of the cost?

plumcrazy

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
wish it was wider and the note will be im sure so ill be happier then but for now this phone seems to be fine for me

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I still like it but...
-I would prefer it a bit wider/shorter
-I really don't like the placement of the Bixby button (I frequently hit the button by accident).

Cheers,
BR

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I truly enjoy the phone as is. Maybe if they made a flat screen version it would have checked all my boxes but overall I can't complain.

ZayMoney

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
its a good phone but not worth the price and the battery life is horrible and i dont even do much with my device. as soon as htc unveils their new device i will wait for someone on CL to have it and trade my s8+

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
its a good phone but not worth the price and the battery life is horrible and i dont even do much with my device. as soon as htc unveils their new device i will wait for someone on CL to have it and trade my s8+

Odd. My battery life has been stellar.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm liking it. Aspect ratio works great for apps and web. And for Netflix, being able to crop cinema wide movies to see closer to their aspect ratio is awesome. Black bars reduces screen size to about what I had with my V10, so even then it's no loss to me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
it was the first week it was awesome. i have not changed the way i use my phone. same apps, brightness, usage etc and it has went down tremendously

Definitely odd. Same usage since day 1 and same stellar performance. On the heavy days I can just quick charge it up in no time so I haven't found any issues with it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000