Verizon Galaxy S8 Is anybody able to get "OK Google" to unlock their S8 or S8+?

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
This might be the game-changer for me, if I cannot get it to function properly. I have it set up for "OK Google" voice detection to unlock my Verizon S8+, but it refuses to work. It's especially frustrating when I'm driving and I want to use voice control to play music, or compose a text without having to touch the phone. It's a function that works without fail on my iPhone with Siri and my Pixel XL with "OK Google." I don't use "OK Google" (or Siri) for much, but music and text while driving are musts.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
This might be the game-changer for me, if I cannot get it to function properly. I have it set up for "OK Google" voice detection to unlock my Verizon S8+, but it refuses to work. It's especially frustrating when I'm driving and I want to use voice control to play music, or compose a text without having to touch the phone. It's a function that works without fail on my iPhone with Siri and my Pixel XL with "OK Google." I don't use "OK Google" (or Siri) for much, but music and text while driving are musts.

It'll only work if you're connected to a charger and the phone is locked. Samsung disables always listening when not plugged in to preserve battery.

Last edited:

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
The phone does not do voice pattern recognition, if the phone is locked ok Google won't unlock it. You will need to combine it with smart unlock.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The phone does not do voice pattern recognition, if the phone is locked ok Google won't unlock it. You will need to combine it with smart unlock.
Actually... it does. As you can see in my example below I have trusted voice on and I set it to trusted voice.

The only catch is if the phone is locked and screen is off saying OK Google won't do anything. If I tap the power button to wake up the phone (show the lock screen) and say OK Google the phone unlocks.
7b4132e752cd61a18c86589b2cdc0250.jpg

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Example below of me waking the phone up to show the lock screen and saying OK Google. The phone then unlocks to the assistant.
1e22f37f6560b7dd9b5aabb0f6ad8b57.jpg
cb1825ca7303129212440f3ba8f66edf.jpg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Can you access anything beside assistant? Like the camera, assistant may be usable while locked may be?

It fully unlocks the phone and takes me to assistant. From there if I was to tap home or whatever else the phone is unlocked.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
So in others words, I have to physically interact with the phone in order for "OK Google" to work? Yeah, that's a deal breaker - and a step backwards. Why on Earth would they make it operate in that manner? What about Half Baked Bixby? If it were working properly, would it work the way this should work?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So in others words, I have to physically interact with the phone in order for "OK Google" to work? Yeah, that's a deal breaker - and a step backwards. Why on Earth would they make it operate in that manner? What about Half Baked Bixby? If it were working properly, would it work the way this should work?

Blame Samsung. I am sure if it could run in the background at all times Google would have it do so like it does on their phones -- Samsung for some reason won't let it listen.

As for Bixby whenever it does launch .. from what they say .. Yes you should be able to call out any time to it to have it work. I wouldn't be surprised if that is why Google won't respond when it is sitting w/ the screen off.

For me while driving my Ford Sync software handles the requests and passes it to my phone so I have just been using that.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site

What you can do is turn on the always on display while driving. That way all you have to do is do a double tap of the home key. Once the screen turns in use ok Google to unlock the phone. I'm assuming that you use a car mount for you phone. That would be the most efficient way for this to work. I would wait it out and see what bixby evolves into. I rather enjoy bixby, it just does things like automatically suggest the people I talk to most. Has my last 3 Spotify playlist loaded and ready to play with out opening the app. It's a work in progress but I see great potential from it.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is anybody able to get "OK Google" to unlock their S8 or S8+?

So in others words, I have to physically interact with the phone in order for "OK Google" to work? Yeah, that's a deal breaker - and a step backwards. Why on Earth would they make it operate in that manner?

I believe it is to save on battery usage.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is anybody able to get "OK Google" to unlock their S8 or S8+?

It's running in the background anyway once you activate Google Assistant, so I doubt that.
You can do it while it is charging, so I don't doubt it.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Security.
If locked, it's locked.
If someone steals your phone, all they would have to do is say "OK, Google" and it unlocks for them to get at all your stuff.
I am sure then Samsung would be blamed for selling unsecure devices.
I have no problem with it the way it is.

Mav. :cool:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Security.
If locked, it's locked.
If someone steals your phone, all they would have to do is say "OK, Google" and it unlocks for them to get at all your stuff.
I am sure then Samsung would be blamed for selling unsecure devices.
I have no problem with it the way it is.

Mav. :cool:
Not true. It recognizes by voice. If my brother says OK Google it says voice not recognized and forces unlock via the other methods.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke