05-17-2017 12:17 PM
47 12
tools
    This might be the game-changer for me, if I cannot get it to function properly. I have it set up for "OK Google" voice detection to unlock my Verizon S8+, but it refuses to work. It's especially frustrating when I'm driving and I want to use voice control to play music, or compose a text without having to touch the phone. It's a function that works without fail on my iPhone with Siri and my Pixel XL with "OK Google." I don't use "OK Google" (or Siri) for much, but music and text while driving are musts.
    05-07-2017 07:33 AM
    This might be the game-changer for me, if I cannot get it to function properly. I have it set up for "OK Google" voice detection to unlock my Verizon S8+, but it refuses to work. It's especially frustrating when I'm driving and I want to use voice control to play music, or compose a text without having to touch the phone. It's a function that works without fail on my iPhone with Siri and my Pixel XL with "OK Google." I don't use "OK Google" (or Siri) for much, but music and text while driving are musts.
    It'll only work if you're connected to a charger and the phone is locked. Samsung disables always listening when not plugged in to preserve battery.
    Pamela Curry likes this.
    05-07-2017 07:42 AM
    It'll only work if you're connected to a charger and the phone is locked. Samsung disables always listening when not plugged in to preserve battery.
    I've had it charged, locked and get nada.
    05-07-2017 08:56 AM
    The phone does not do voice pattern recognition, if the phone is locked ok Google won't unlock it. You will need to combine it with smart unlock.
    Pamela Curry likes this.
    05-07-2017 11:16 AM
    The phone does not do voice pattern recognition, if the phone is locked ok Google won't unlock it. You will need to combine it with smart unlock.
    Actually... it does. As you can see in my example below I have trusted voice on and I set it to trusted voice.

The only catch is if the phone is locked and screen is off saying OK Google won't do anything. If I tap the power button to wake up the phone (show the lock screen) and say OK Google the phone unlocks.
    05-07-2017 11:21 AM
    Example below of me waking the phone up to show the lock screen and saying OK Google. The phone then unlocks to the assistant.
    05-07-2017 11:28 AM
    Can you access anything beside assistant? Like the camera, assistant may be usable while locked may be?
    05-07-2017 01:02 PM
    Can you access anything beside assistant? Like the camera, assistant may be usable while locked may be?
    It fully unlocks the phone and takes me to assistant. From there if I was to tap home or whatever else the phone is unlocked.
    05-07-2017 01:15 PM
    So in others words, I have to physically interact with the phone in order for "OK Google" to work? Yeah, that's a deal breaker - and a step backwards. Why on Earth would they make it operate in that manner? What about Half Baked Bixby? If it were working properly, would it work the way this should work?
    milehigherik likes this.
    05-07-2017 01:19 PM
    So in others words, I have to physically interact with the phone in order for "OK Google" to work? Yeah, that's a deal breaker - and a step backwards. Why on Earth would they make it operate in that manner? What about Half Baked Bixby? If it were working properly, would it work the way this should work?
    Blame Samsung. I am sure if it could run in the background at all times Google would have it do so like it does on their phones -- Samsung for some reason won't let it listen.

As for Bixby whenever it does launch .. from what they say .. Yes you should be able to call out any time to it to have it work. I wouldn't be surprised if that is why Google won't respond when it is sitting w/ the screen off.

For me while driving my Ford Sync software handles the requests and passes it to my phone so I have just been using that.
    05-07-2017 01:23 PM
    Oh I do blame Samsung. 😠
    05-07-2017 01:26 PM
    What you can do is turn on the always on display while driving. That way all you have to do is do a double tap of the home key. Once the screen turns in use ok Google to unlock the phone. I'm assuming that you use a car mount for you phone. That would be the most efficient way for this to work. I would wait it out and see what bixby evolves into. I rather enjoy bixby, it just does things like automatically suggest the people I talk to most. Has my last 3 Spotify playlist loaded and ready to play with out opening the app. It's a work in progress but I see great potential from it.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    05-07-2017 01:30 PM
    Oh I do blame Samsung. 😠
    It's Samsung. My lg phones work the way you want it to with ok Google. So does my moto z play.
    05-07-2017 01:34 PM
    So in others words, I have to physically interact with the phone in order for "OK Google" to work? Yeah, that's a deal breaker - and a step backwards. Why on Earth would they make it operate in that manner?
    I believe it is to save on battery usage.
    05-07-2017 01:36 PM
    It's Samsung. My lg phones work the way you want it to with ok Google. So does my moto z play.
    Every ******* phone I have/had besides this one works the way it should. Aggravating.
    jdfry15 likes this.
    05-07-2017 01:37 PM
    I believe it is to save on battery usage.
    It's running in the background anyway once you activate Google Assistant, so I doubt that.
    05-07-2017 01:39 PM
    It's running in the background anyway once you activate Google Assistant, so I doubt that.
    You can do it while it is charging, so I don't doubt it.
    05-07-2017 01:40 PM
    Besides, it's not running in the background until you turn the screen on.
    05-07-2017 01:45 PM
    Security.
    If locked, it's locked.
    If someone steals your phone, all they would have to do is say "OK, Google" and it unlocks for them to get at all your stuff.
    I am sure then Samsung would be blamed for selling unsecure devices.
    I have no problem with it the way it is.

Mav.
    05-07-2017 01:56 PM
    Security.
    If locked, it's locked.
    If someone steals your phone, all they would have to do is say "OK, Google" and it unlocks for them to get at all your stuff.

Mav.
    Not true. It recognizes by voice. If my brother says OK Google it says voice not recognized and forces unlock via the other methods.
    05-07-2017 02:31 PM
    Security.
    If locked, it's locked.

Mav.
    No. You can add your voice as a trusted voice so it'll work for you and no one else.
    05-07-2017 03:16 PM
    You can do it while it is charging, so I don't doubt it.
    I can't. So if you can, please tell me your secret. Seriously. Please do.
    05-07-2017 03:39 PM
    Security.
    If locked, it's locked.

Mav.
    Completely inaccurate.
    the_munc_e likes this.
    05-07-2017 03:40 PM
    OK people. I get the point.
    Wish I was as perfect as you think you are.
    Glad you were never wrong about anything.
    Thanks for being jerks about it.

Mav.
    05-07-2017 03:42 PM
    I can't. So if you can, please tell me your secret. Seriously. Please do.
    Hello,

Go into the "Ok Google" detection section section of the Google app settings and set it up. I attached a screenshot for you. It will then unlock, with the screen off, while it is charging either with a cable or wireless.

oneformula likes this.
    05-07-2017 03:49 PM
47 12