iris scanner questions

marinoe

May 9, 2017
Visit site
I really want to buy a galaxy s8 but the fingerprint in the back doesnt excite me. I was wondering if the iris scanner is a good alternative, is it hard to get used to? Do you have to hold the phone or head at a particular angle? Is it practical? Would i look awkward on the street?

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Mine never worked (iris scanner) , but the face recognition is lightning fast, just look at the phone and it's unlocked.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Iris scanner works great and is lightning fast. As long as you're not in bright sunlight. It uses IR light to read your eyes. That means in darkness and indoors and indirect outdoor light it works great. In bright sunlight, obviously the scene is flooded with IR light so it doesn't work as good. Overall, it's my primary way of unlocking device. Fingerprint scanner is second. I must say the fingerprint scanner is MUCH easier to use with a case on. When I got phone the placement on my S8 plus was not as bad as I thought but enough of a bother that I didn't use it. Installed my caseology coastline and it's much easier. I find myself using it a lot now

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I use both iris and fingerprint and both work great. Both are fast. The FPS position isn't as bad as the reviewers made it out to be. For most people it's location works great.

I don't recommend facial recognition. It's too easily spoofed. Iris and fingerprints are much harder to replicate.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
For me face recognition didn't work very well at all,but on the other hand, the fingerprint scanner works very well when i use it but i use the iris scanner most of the time and it works wonders for me, even through my glasses and polarized sunglasses in sunlight at night in dark environnements. Overall in about a month of use didn't have any issues with it and no weird angle i just open the phone and scan my eyes in any angle (though you do have to register your eyes at that weird straight angle but don't worry about it afterwards).

PS: you can theme the scanner on your lockscreen too :D

Targatheory

Banned
May 13, 2011
Visit site
Question guys,

Is there a way for the Iris Scanner to be available immediately on the Lock Screen? For example, I have FingerPrint Unlock and a Pattern and have just added the Iris Scanner. Now, when I unlock the phone, it shows the Pattern dots and asks to use the FingerPrint Scanner or Swipe Up to use Iris Scanner.
So, to use the Iris Scanner after activating the power button, you MUST swipe up on the screen to use the Iris Scanner. Is there a way around this, so that I just have to press the power button and look at the phone?

GRUNT11B

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Question guys,

Is there a way for the Iris Scanner to be available immediately on the Lock Screen? For example, I have FingerPrint Unlock and a Pattern and have just added the Iris Scanner. Now, when I unlock the phone, it shows the Pattern dots and asks to use the FingerPrint Scanner or Swipe Up to use Iris Scanner.
So, to use the Iris Scanner after activating the power button, you MUST swipe up on the screen to use the Iris Scanner. Is there a way around this, so that I just have to press the power button and look at the phone?

Go to lock screen and security, Iris scanner, and toggle on the Iris unlock when screen turns on option. All you'll have to do now to use Iris is hit the home button or power button.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Iris scanner works great and is lightning fast. As long as you're not in bright sunlight. It uses IR light to read your eyes. That means in darkness and indoors and indirect outdoor light it works great. In bright sunlight, obviously the scene is flooded with IR light so it doesn't work as good. Overall, it's my primary way of unlocking device. Fingerprint scanner is second. I must say the fingerprint scanner is MUCH easier to use with a case on. When I got phone the placement on my S8 plus was not as bad as I thought but enough of a bother that I didn't use it. Installed my caseology coastline and it's much easier. I find myself using it a lot now

I agree with this 100%, works great for me unless I am out in bright sunlight.

Derren Woods

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I can never get the iris scanner to work for me, it really struggles to setup, usually getting stuck at about 38%
This may sound funny but would the colour of your eyes affect the scanner?

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Make sure the scanner area is cleaned, my wife had a few similar issues and I wiped the top "bezel" and it worked fine after. Funny because it didn't look dirty.