03-04-2018 01:51 PM
110 ... 2345
tools
    As mentioned in an earlier post, you can use Awsome Icons app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...code.shortcuts) to use any icon pack you with Touchwiz. The only thing is that it only changes the icons on the main screens but not in the app drawer. The app drawer icons are the default ones but then again, it is not an issue if the focus is using icon packs on the home screens only.

You should check out the app, very easy to use and works really
    But with Awesome Icons, you can't change icons of web pages saved to Homescreen as shortcuts.
    08-03-2017 09:25 AM
    I always stick with Nova, every time I try TouchWiz I come right back to Nova prime.

Gestures, can't get used to not having them. I can swipe down anywhere on home screen to bring notification bar down, double Knock to turn screen off, swipe up for settings. Swiping is a huge plus on large screen phones.

Hide apps, scrolling icons on bottom icons, infinite scrolling, lock desktop, hide navigation bar, remember position for app drawer, adjust scroll and animation speeds, and numerous customization options as color of labels, size of icons, the list goes on and on.

Nova prime does what Android is about, it's makes your launcher customizable to your liking and does it well. A huge benefit is no matter what phone you get, you know the launcher and don't need to learn a new system.
    08-03-2017 10:24 AM
    I like being able to infinitely rotate homescreens so I don't like Samsung launcher. Nova works for me. In LG that is a standard feature so I don't bother with Nova
    08-03-2017 10:41 AM
    On Action launcher now, just to change things up from Nova. The setups are quite similar though, but I like the shutters, quick page and quick drawer.

Nova is more feature rich though.
    Centerman66 likes this.
    08-03-2017 11:51 AM
    But with Awesome Icons, you can't change icons of web pages saved to Homescreen as shortcuts.
    Yes that is correct, it is only used to change app icons only and only on the home screen, not in the app drawer/
    08-03-2017 04:10 PM
    Nova Prime for me too. The stock launcher wasn't bad but there are things that bugged me like not being able to put the app drawer icon in the middle of the dock and I like Nova's gesture and double tap features. But that's what's great about Android, right? The ability to customize.
    08-03-2017 05:08 PM
    I used Nova on some of my other Android devices but not on the S8. Samsung's new UI is pretty good. It's ten times better than touch wiz was. If this was touch wiz I'd have Nova installed in a second. This Samsung launcher is very good and I enjoy using it. I briefly used Nova but went back to this new Samsung UI bc its just that good.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    08-03-2017 06:49 PM
    I used Nova on some of my other Android devices but not on the S8. Samsung's new UI is pretty good. It's ten times better than touch wiz was. If this was touch wiz I'd have Nova installed in a second. This Samsung launcher is very good and I enjoy using it. I briefly used Nova but went back to this new Samsung UI bc its just that good.
    Same for me. Used Nova on my s7 but I'm now using the stock launcher, messages, internet, etc.
    08-03-2017 08:52 PM
    am using Evie Launcher.
    08-27-2017 08:43 AM
    Same here. I use to love Nova but TW is Better now.
    08-27-2017 04:53 PM
    I'm on stock launcher. But I stayed with Textra and never even opened the stock SMS app. On my S6 or S7, I once accidentally called a girl I was "talking to" at like 3 am. I was scrolling through previous texts. And in the main screen, I accidently swiped on her name. You could turn this feature off in the phone settings for contacts and/ or phone apps. But it didn't turn it off there. So I started using Textra and haven't looked back. Lol.
    Hmm. I usually use the stock message app and daughter gets irritated because my phone likes to call her and also my husband after I've texted them. I haven't set anything to do that. So does Textra not do that at all?
    08-27-2017 05:02 PM
    Hmm. I usually use the stock message app and daughter gets irritated because my phone likes to call her and also my husband after I've texted them. I haven't set anything to do that. So does Textra not do that at all?
    Hey Amy! Sorry, haven't been on here in a while. You can call someone in Textra. But you have to go into their thread, then click on the menu arrow on the top right, then click the call button. Unlikely to happen accidentally. Note that it is ad supported, until you buy it. Nothing too flashy, but they will show one in your list of text msg threads. I think it was a couple bucks. Worth it to me. No ads or anything after the in app purchase.
    09-29-2017 11:31 PM
    I use Nova on my Tab S2, and TouchWiz on S8+. I doubt my Tab S2 will get updated to Nouget; Nova allows me to have similar gestures on my Tab S2.
    09-30-2017 01:42 AM
    Hey Amy! Sorry, haven't been on here in a while. You can call someone in Textra. But you have to go into their thread, then click on the menu arrow on the top right, then click the call button. Unlikely to happen accidentally. Note that it is ad supported, until you buy it. Nothing too flashy, but they will show one in your list of text msg threads. I think it was a couple bucks. Worth it to me. No ads or anything after the in app purchase.
    Swiping right to left on a thread can trigger a call on Textra while swiping left to right deletes the thread.
    09-30-2017 02:09 AM
    No. I like to scroll through all the homescreens without going backwards.
    09-30-2017 10:54 AM
    Until I got my S8, my only previous experience with TouchWiz was with my son's S4, and S2 before that.

My previous phones were using the legacy BlackBerry OS and BlackBerry 10.

The S8 UI was a plesent surprise compared to what I'd seen on the S4. I thought I'd stay with it. I tried Nova, but decided to go back to TW. Then I got the BlackBerry Hub+ suite of apps including its BlackBerry Launcher and tried it for a couple of days.

It wasn't bad, but I went back to TW.

Then, I found out about the TeslaUnread add-on to Nova. TW does have notification badges, but not all apps are supported. The BlackBerry Hub is not, and I prefer it over the Samsung email app.

Also TW can't change the BlackBerry Calendar app icon date. Now, BlackBerry does provide a home screen widget for the calendar that does change the date, but its size is smaller than other adjacent icon, so it looks out of place.

So I tried Nova again, and found that it does change the regular BB calendar icon date.

So, I went ahead and paid for the Prime, got TeslaUnread working, and now use Nova.

The only problem I see is that TeslaUnread can't seem to get the number of unread messages right from the BlackBerry Hub. But, that's not a deal breaker for me. It shows a badge, and sometimes the number is right.
    09-30-2017 02:47 PM
    After reading this thread I thought to myself, let me give the stock iOS a try again since I had Nova for so long now. That lasted about 10 minutes! Lol. I am addicted to Nova.
    09-30-2017 10:04 PM
    If touch wiz gave me the option to remove icon labels I would use it. Can't stand those labels on my home screen. Will stay with Nova until that happens...or am I missing a setting in touch wiz that will allow me to remove icon labels?
    10-01-2017 09:06 PM
    Nova prime for me
    10-01-2017 11:18 PM
    Well I just discover it, and wanted to share my thoughts. What's the harm?
    It's what you prefer right? I have an opinion on preferring twiz to Ms Launcher and everyone had a cow. What's wrong with using the software the phone comes with? This version of Twiz seems so much more smoother.
    It's just a matter of preference is my point. For the love of God don't give an opinion.😲
    12-15-2017 11:38 AM
    Nova Prime here.
    12-17-2017 09:27 AM
    TouchWiz all the way. Tried Nova several times and saw no advantage particularly as regards inability to pin memos on the Note.
    12-17-2017 09:22 PM
    Is there any impact on battery when using Nova compared to TW?
    12-18-2017 06:39 AM
    Is there any impact on battery when using Nova compared to TW?
    Not that I've noticed.
    12-18-2017 08:07 AM
    I've used Nova a few times , honestly don't see what the big deal is , I think Samsung has improved immensely over the last few years.

Nova Prime is on sale as of 12-18 btw
    12-18-2017 08:53 AM
110 ... 2345