I prefer Samsung's launcher to Nova! How about you?

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Nova Prime for me too. The stock launcher wasn't bad but there are things that bugged me like not being able to put the app drawer icon in the middle of the dock and I like Nova's gesture and double tap features. But that's what's great about Android, right? The ability to customize.

Last edited:

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I used Nova on some of my other Android devices but not on the S8. Samsung's new UI is pretty good. It's ten times better than touch wiz was. If this was touch wiz I'd have Nova installed in a second. This Samsung launcher is very good and I enjoy using it. I briefly used Nova but went back to this new Samsung UI bc its just that good.

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
I used Nova on some of my other Android devices but not on the S8. Samsung's new UI is pretty good. It's ten times better than touch wiz was. If this was touch wiz I'd have Nova installed in a second. This Samsung launcher is very good and I enjoy using it. I briefly used Nova but went back to this new Samsung UI bc its just that good.
Same for me. Used Nova on my s7 but I'm now using the stock launcher, messages, internet, etc.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm on stock launcher. But I stayed with Textra and never even opened the stock SMS app. On my S6 or S7, I once accidentally called a girl I was "talking to" at like 3 am. I was scrolling through previous texts. And in the main screen, I accidently swiped on her name. You could turn this feature off in the phone settings for contacts and/ or phone apps. But it didn't turn it off there. So I started using Textra and haven't looked back. Lol.
Hmm. I usually use the stock message app and daughter gets irritated because my phone likes to call her and also my husband after I've texted them. I haven't set anything to do that. So does Textra not do that at all?

TheyCallMeBT

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Hmm. I usually use the stock message app and daughter gets irritated because my phone likes to call her and also my husband after I've texted them. I haven't set anything to do that. So does Textra not do that at all?

Hey Amy! Sorry, haven't been on here in a while. You can call someone in Textra. But you have to go into their thread, then click on the menu arrow on the top right, then click the call button. Unlikely to happen accidentally. Note that it is ad supported, until you buy it. Nothing too flashy, but they will show one in your list of text msg threads. I think it was a couple bucks. Worth it to me. No ads or anything after the in app purchase.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I use Nova on my Tab S2, and TouchWiz on S8+. I doubt my Tab S2 will get updated to Nouget; Nova allows me to have similar gestures on my Tab S2.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey Amy! Sorry, haven't been on here in a while. You can call someone in Textra. But you have to go into their thread, then click on the menu arrow on the top right, then click the call button. Unlikely to happen accidentally. Note that it is ad supported, until you buy it. Nothing too flashy, but they will show one in your list of text msg threads. I think it was a couple bucks. Worth it to me. No ads or anything after the in app purchase.
Swiping right to left on a thread can trigger a call on Textra while swiping left to right deletes the thread.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Until I got my S8, my only previous experience with TouchWiz was with my son's S4, and S2 before that.

My previous phones were using the legacy BlackBerry OS and BlackBerry 10.

The S8 UI was a plesent surprise compared to what I'd seen on the S4. I thought I'd stay with it. I tried Nova, but decided to go back to TW. Then I got the BlackBerry Hub+ suite of apps including its BlackBerry Launcher and tried it for a couple of days.

It wasn't bad, but I went back to TW.

Then, I found out about the TeslaUnread add-on to Nova. TW does have notification badges, but not all apps are supported. The BlackBerry Hub is not, and I prefer it over the Samsung email app.

Also TW can't change the BlackBerry Calendar app icon date. Now, BlackBerry does provide a home screen widget for the calendar that does change the date, but its size is smaller than other adjacent icon, so it looks out of place.

So I tried Nova again, and found that it does change the regular BB calendar icon date.

So, I went ahead and paid for the Prime, got TeslaUnread working, and now use Nova.

The only problem I see is that TeslaUnread can't seem to get the number of unread messages right from the BlackBerry Hub. But, that's not a deal breaker for me. It shows a badge, and sometimes the number is right.

Indecisi0n

Sep 10, 2017
Visit site
After reading this thread I thought to myself, let me give the stock iOS a try again since I had Nova for so long now. That lasted about 10 minutes! Lol. I am addicted to Nova.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
If touch wiz gave me the option to remove icon labels I would use it. Can't stand those labels on my home screen. Will stay with Nova until that happens...or am I missing a setting in touch wiz that will allow me to remove icon labels?

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Well I just discover it, and wanted to share my thoughts. What's the harm?

It's what you prefer right? I have an opinion on preferring twiz to Ms Launcher and everyone had a cow. What's wrong with using the software the phone comes with? This version of Twiz seems so much more smoother.
It's just a matter of preference is my point. For the love of God don't give an opinion.😲

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
TouchWiz all the way. Tried Nova several times and saw no advantage particularly as regards inability to pin memos on the Note.

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I've used Nova a few times , honestly don't see what the big deal is , I think Samsung has improved immensely over the last few years.

Nova Prime is on sale as of 12-18 btw

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante