Using 91% isopropyl alcohol on S8

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I cannot stand the stickers that are placed on these phones. I remember the QR code on the back and the Qualcomm sticker from the top. They left glue behind so I used some 91% isopropyl alcohol to wipe the residue away. I usually use 70% but only had 91% on hand. Can this damage the phone in any way?

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I used it on the back glass and top near the sim stray. I MAY have wiped the very top of the screen but minimally. So other than the oleophobic coating it can't damage the back or aluminum? I wouldn't think it could.

Stephen33

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
I use the $5 box of lens wipes from walmart once a day to clean both the front and back of mine. It doesn't note anywhere on the packaging how much alcohol is present, and I haven't noticed any repercussions at all. I have the black model, so it's a beautiful damn phone until I fingerprint the hell outta the back again xD

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I didn't have alcohol readily available at first and tried purell. Applied a dab to a paper towel (to clean the aluminum) and it sorta worked. But kinda just smeared the glue. Them I went and found some alcohol to finish the job.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, the alcohol isn't going to do squat to the glass... what you should be more concerned about is the oleophobic coating they put on the glass. The alcohol can and probably will do a number on that coating, especially if you clean it regularly.

But the glass and metal frame? nah...

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Those alco wipes health care workers use to prep you for injection is what I use. Bring them home from work (I'm a critical care nurse). Never had any issue.
Being in that business I'm not fond of germs... :)

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I cannot stand the stickers that are placed on these phones. I remember the QR code on the back and the Qualcomm sticker from the top. They left glue behind so I used some 91% isopropyl alcohol to wipe the residue away. I usually use 70% but only had 91% on hand. Can this damage the phone in any way?

Do not use alcohol to clean your device. It'll damage the coating or paint on the outside. Just use water. Try using alcohol on your car interior or exterior and watch the paint fade away.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15