06-06-2017 06:09 AM
101 12345
tools
    Just because idiots post reviews because they cannot install a screen protector properly does not mean the screen protector is bad. It's not a "huge issue." Take time, apply it right and it's perfect. Took about 10 minutes total, which I understand in this ADD era is viewed as too much time to do anything, but it works. Not a bubble, not a corner lifting, not a scratch on my screen.
    Agreed - I've had that one on my last S8+ and it really was excellent. Doesnt smudge and has extremely strong adhesive. Works great with the Gear VR and any case I tried. Installation for this one really does require you to read the manual, though, otherwise it'll luck fugly.
    05-12-2017 11:50 PM
    Had a close call at a baseball game. Couple lovely *sarcasm* seat hoppers knocked my phone out of my hand when the rest of our party showed up. Landed on the bottom corner, thankfully the screen isn't cracked but now I'm contemplating coloring in the scuff on the frame with a Sharpie lol. Can add that to my list of 1st world problems along with the two hairline scratches I have on the screen already
    05-12-2017 11:51 PM
    Oh... Ok. Why would it not be available in the states? Biggest market on Earth and they doing want to sell to us? That's just weird lol. Thx for the info.
    It's not the biggest market in the world, that would be China. And the EU has 450 million inhabitants.
    05-12-2017 11:51 PM
    Is it officially confirmed anywhere that GG5 is actually easier to scratch than GG4?

Although my phone is not as bad as some on this thread, there is some very slight scratches that can only be seen with screen off in glare after 2 weeks but my S7 edge had absolutely zero after 1 year. I keep phone in my back pocket and I'm worried now.
    There were a few articles about it around the release of the Note 7. This being one of them: Galaxy Note7 Gorilla Glass 5 display found harder to break, easier to scratch - GSMArena blog

However, I think this bit of news got lost in the shuffle of the recalls.

Edit: I didn't realize Jerry Rig released an updated scratch video:
    05-13-2017 10:01 AM
    Wow. Thanks for the info.
    Now I'm disheartened, I never use a screen protector and this will bring resale down. Feels like a step backwards, I much rather have scratch resistance than shatter.

Update: just saw the video of the updated test. Seems like GG5 is just as resistant to scratches as GG4?
    05-13-2017 11:31 AM
    That sucks. Try this one. http://www.qmadix.com/pc_combined_re...27998A8BBD9B0B

I may even fill in the scratch. I've been using it for a couple of weeks with no problems. It has a 9H hardness rating. Only diamonds are harder.
    05-14-2017 08:59 AM
    Is it officially confirmed anywhere that GG5 is actually easier to scratch than GG4?

Although my phone is not as bad as some on this thread, there is some very slight scratches that can only be seen with screen off in glare after 2 weeks but my S7 edge had absolutely zero after 1 year. I keep phone in my back pocket and I'm worried now.
    Officially no. However, if it is more shatter resistant then it is inherently softer. Since it was used on the Note7 and there too scratches were easy to develop I'd argue it's GG5 that's just susceptible to more scratches.
    05-14-2017 11:17 AM
    Actually I'm amazed that people are so turned off because of unable to put screen protector. Guess I'm in the real minority who just puts a good case with decent lip and not worry about screen protector knowing that I'm susceptible to minute scratches on the screen over a period of time. Never bothered me personally since I can't even see them unless I put them directly under a bright source of light.
    05-14-2017 11:29 AM
    Actually I'm amazed that people are so turned off because of unable to put screen protector. Guess I'm in the real minority who just puts a good case with decent lip and not worry about screen protector knowing that I'm susceptible to minute scratches on the screen over a period of time. Never bothered me personally since I can't even see them unless I put them directly under a bright source of light.
    The problem is, I wouldn't consider 3 weeks on a brand new phone to be "over a period of time". A year, maybe.
    05-14-2017 03:51 PM
    The problem is, I wouldn't consider 3 weeks on a brand new phone to be "over a period of time". A year, maybe.
    Over a period of time on my other phones... This isn't my first or only current phone.
    05-14-2017 04:10 PM
    Unless T-Mobile is going to deny my Jump because I have barely noticeable fine scratches that they can only see in the glare of the bright sun, I'm not going to worry about it.
    bhatech likes this.
    05-14-2017 04:14 PM
    The screen and the body of my phone are flawless since I use a case and screen protector at all times. However, of all things my FINGERPRINT SENSOR has suffered a couple of fine scratches. Normally I'm equally anal as the OP, and this would bother the hell out of me. Somehow, knowing I did everything possible to avoid this makes feel better about it.

I can only assume that small sand grains in my pocket did this. But fortuitously, my rear camera, the heart rate monitor, and the front facing camera are wholly undamaged. I know the front facing camera is covered with Gorilla Glass. I guess the rear camera must be similarly protected, but not the FPS.
    05-16-2017 06:23 PM
    Also be advised if you wear shorts with velcro, be careful sliding your phone into your pocket. That's how my friend scratched up his G6.
    05-16-2017 06:59 PM
    One of the main reason i skipped s8 and got G6...and lovin my G6 ...and mainly flat screen and dual camera and battery life..around 2 days with 5 to 6 hrs Sot...i had s7 edge last year and i know the pain of finding a good screen protector...i wish Samsung goes back to flat screen option on flagships
    Don't be surprised if lg doesn't follow Samsung with the curved screen, seems lg likes to compete closely with Samsung.
    05-16-2017 09:10 PM
    Don't be surprised if lg doesn't follow Samsung with the curved screen, seems lg likes to compete closely with Samsung.
    Yeah it was like a year ago people were saying, "at least LG still has replaceable batteries and no glass back". The tech world is the one place where everyone lives in glass houses, so don't get too cocky.
    crzycrkr likes this.
    05-16-2017 09:35 PM
    Yeah it was like a year ago people were saying, "at least LG still has replaceable batteries and no glass back". The tech world is the one place where everyone lives in glass houses, so don't get too cocky.
    I'm not getting "too cocky". Just saying wouldn't surprise me, it's an opinion, nothing more nothing less.
    05-16-2017 09:39 PM
    I'm not getting "too cocky". Just saying wouldn't surprise me, it's an opinion, nothing more nothing less.
    Reread what I wrote. I wasn't referring to you.
    05-16-2017 09:55 PM
    LG already had their fling with curved screens with their Flex models. And remember Samsung was also the one who said SD cards were dead but yet here they are, still. Nothing is irreversible if consumers want it enough.
    05-17-2017 06:02 AM
    LG already had their fling with curved screens with their Flex models. And remember Samsung was also the one who said SD cards were dead but yet here they are, still. Nothing is irreversible if consumers want it enough.
    And consumers seem to want large edge screens from Samsung. The plus model is outselling the regular S8. So they're doubling down rather than rejecting.
    crzycrkr likes this.
    05-17-2017 08:43 AM
    I never had an issue with my screen getting scratched until I used phones with Gorilla Glass 5. I had two Note 7s. Within a couple of weeks, the screens were scratched. Then I went on to the S7 Edge (which used Gorilla Glass 4). I had two of those over a 6 month period. No scratches, whatsoever. Now that I have the S8+, within a month I have several scratches all over the surface.

I don't care what anyone says, the Gorilla Glass 5 scratches easier than Gorilla Glass 4.
    05-20-2017 06:37 AM
    No more for me; back to a Note 5, flat screen + tempered glass screen protector means no more worrying about scratches!

Phew...
    05-20-2017 06:45 AM
    No more for me; back to a Note 5, flat screen + tempered glass screen protector means no more worrying about scratches!

Phew...
    Yeah as much as I love the S8, the fact that I cannot use a tempered glass on it means I'll probably go with a flat screen next time around as well.
    05-20-2017 11:29 AM
    Yeah as much as I love the S8, the fact that I cannot use a tempered glass on it means I'll probably go with a flat screen next time around as well.
    Why can't you use a Tempered glass?
    crzycrkr likes this.
    05-20-2017 03:07 PM
    No one makes a tempered glass protector for the Edge screens that stays put when used in a case; let alone used on the phone alone!

A bit issue and mistake IMO
    05-20-2017 04:18 PM
    Why can't you use a Tempered glass?
    Read the reviews, none are working with the S8. The two I tried fail as well. Even the films are peeling. Very frustrating trying to find good screen protection for this phone. I'm currently using a Yootech wet apply film that I like, but the corners do peel up with a case on.
    05-20-2017 04:57 PM
101 12345