Bloody hell... Scratched my S8 Plus screen

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
They have case friendly Tempered Glass now, like Tech Guard 3D. I don't use them, but I've heard nothing but good things.

Even the "case friendly" tempered glass screen protectors are having issues such as touch sensitivity and peeling up with cases. The two I used (Zagg and Gpel) both claimed to be case friendly but were definitely not.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Awhile back I got an Armorsuit film, and it was not case friendly despite being advertised as such. They sent a free replacement, and that works incredibly well with my Spigen and Caseology cases.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Awhile back I got an Armorsuit film, and it was not case friendly despite being advertised as such. They sent a free replacement, and that works incredibly well with my Spigen and Caseology cases.
My armor suit was working fine on my S8 Plus until yesterday when my Rugged Armor Spigen case peeled it off. I have to admit though, I take my case on and off many times every day as I like using the phone naked for the most part.

Don't think it's a fault of armor suit. It's my own habbit of taking case on and off.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I actually don't believe there is a decent fully functional screen protector for any of the edge screens...

Until they do, it'll limit the market IMO

Just hope they don't put an edge screen on the Note 8!
Genuine Samsung screen protector works great on curved screen. Note 8, no curved screen = no buy!

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Even the "case friendly" tempered glass screen protectors are having issues such as touch sensitivity and peeling up with cases. The two I used (Zagg and Gpel) both claimed to be case friendly but were definitely not.
Depends on the case. I've found that with the original Samsung cases, most of them work just fine. Mine fits like a glove and I have zero touch issues.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
My armor suit was working fine on my S8 Plus until yesterday when my Rugged Armor Spigen case peeled it off. I have to admit though, I take my case on and off many times every day as I like using the phone naked for the most part.

Don't think it's a fault of armor suit. It's my own habbit of taking case on and off.

No it's not your fault. It should stay on regardless of changing cases. I also like changing cases and have this same issue.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Both my S7 and tab S2 got scratched screens with under a week of use with no protector. Back of my S7 looks horrible from being scratched even with a case on it 24/7. Glass is fragile, it's not premium.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
No it's not your fault. It should stay on regardless of changing cases. I also like changing cases and have this same issue.
I'm going with no screen protector. Life too short to get worked up about this. I upgrade yearly at least, so life goes on.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

My Zagg saphire is case friendly. Looks great and stays on.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Gorilla Glass 5 is more shatter proof thereby making it "softer" NO MATTER what you read anywhere!!!
Gorilla Glass 3 is harder and therefore more scratch resistant but also more brittle and can shatter easier.
I wish I could get Gorilla Glass 3 on all my phones. It is the BEST period! I hate scratches.
Also, if you have a flat screen you can out a tempered glass screen protector on to help prevent shattering if dropped.
Let's face it, they can make a tempered glass screen protector with a hardness of 9..... so why not on the phone itself???? I have "older" phones with Gorilla Glass 3 that have ZERO scratches. GG3 is the best! GG5 is the worst!!!!

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
While I am the same way, remind yourself this is a tool. A battle tool of life. In the end it does not matter. You'll accumulate dings and scratches until the next device. But I agree the first is always the hardest.
Very well said. I just got my first scratch and I thought it'd bother me a lot more but not so much!

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Gorilla Glass 5 is more shatter proof thereby making it "softer" NO MATTER what you read anywhere!!!
You write with all-caps words and triple exclamation marks, so your statement must be true, even though you offer no evidence for it.

Any Gorilla Glass is both more shatter resistant and more scratch resistant than ordinary window glass. Yet you say it's impossible to improve one of those properties without degrading the other.

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Damn, I just got my first scratch on my S8 as well...

Reading the thread though, it looks like there's really nothing to be done to remove the scratches is there? All the posts seem to be about getting screen protectors (which would be great if we could time travel to before it got scratched...) and that the older Gorilla glass was more scratch resistant but shatters more easily.

Is there anything that can be done for those of us who have gotten scratched screens at this point? I got a few that were a bit thick and I actually don't even see or notice them when the screen is on, but when off it's very noticeable and I can also feel them. No idea how it happened, maybe keys or something dropped/rubbed against the phone on a table.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass 3 is harder and therefore more scratch resistant but also more brittle and can shatter easier.
I wish I could get Gorilla Glass 3 on all my phones. It is the BEST period! I hate scratches.
Also, if you have a flat screen you can out a tempered glass screen protector on to help prevent shattering if dropped.
Let's face it, they can make a tempered glass screen protector with a hardness of 9..... so why not on the phone itself???? I have "older" phones with Gorilla Glass 3 that have ZERO scratches. GG3 is the best! GG5 is the worst!!!!
Who makes a tempered glass screen protector with a hardness of 9?

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I do offer proof... I have a drawer full of older phones with GG3 that have been used and abused for many moons and they have ZERO scratches. Now if you drop them without any screen protection then they are more prone to shatter because they are harder.... less flexible. GG5 is more shatter proof which is great. But in order to accomplish this it must be more flexible like plastic which also make it so easy to scratch. If you don't believe me then just read up on the issue of scratching with all phones using GG5... actually the problem started with GG4. You will be hard pressed to find the issue of scratching with phones that used GG3.
I appreciate that they are trying to accomplish both scratch resistance and shatter resistance with one layer of glass, but it just may not be possible... yet.

TANDC

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree a battle tool of life? I have had tons of smart phones and this year alone a iPhone 7, Google Pixel, and a S8, have never had a scratch and I got mine i the first few weeks. Like others I got a hair line airline scratch and have no idea how it happen and dont carry my phone in pockets.

I was lucky it was the last day of buyers remorse 20 day return. Got 2nd s8 and now it has a armor guard.

Samsung terrible screen toughness!!

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site

I don't think it's your fault. My Armorsuit was coming off even though I only took the case off once every couple of days. And like I said, they admitted it was faulty and sent a new one. But hey, given that they did this so have no complaints!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463