Bloody hell... Scratched my S8 Plus screen

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Can't believe it

I'm anal when it comes to my mobiles and ALWAYS have a screen protector fitted

However I haven't found one yet that's good enough, doesn't lift when in a case etc, so having to go with a naked screen

I'm now using an Otterbox Strada case for my S8 Plus, which I have to say is one of the best cases I've ever had

But, somehow, I've managed to scratch the screen the other day (before I fitted the Otterbox case), whilst it was in the Spigen Tough Armor case...

It's only about 4-5mm long, right on the left hand side about 2/3 of the way down. Can only be seen if you look for it at the right angle, but now I know it's three, it's doing my head in :(

I haven't dropped the phone, don't place it screen side down, don't have it in my pockets etc... So god knows how this has happened

Are these screens that delicate that they scratch this easily?!

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Ask your self this, do you know of anything, anything at all that you touch on a daily bases and doesn't get scratches and marks? Why so shocked when your phones screen is the same?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Can't believe it

However I haven't found one yet that's good enough, doesn't lift when in a case etc, so having to go with a naked screen

I'm now using an Otterbox Strada case for my S8 Plus, which I have to say is one of the best cases I've ever had

But, somehow, I've managed to scratch the screen the other day (before I fitted the Otterbox case), whilst it was in the Spigen Tough Armor case...

It's only about 4-5mm long, right on the left hand side about 2/3 of the way down. Can only be seen if you look for it at the right angle, but now I know it's three, it's doing my head in :(

I haven't dropped the phone, don't place it screen side down, don't have it in my pockets etc... So god knows how this has happened

Stinks. I am the same, can't stand screen scratches. I have ordered the below. Is the case friendly cut. I had one on my S7 edge and worked perfectly.

Armorsuit - Galaxy S8+ Screen Protector [Case Friendly] MilitaryShield For Samsung Galaxy S8+ Lifetime Replacement Anti-Bubble HD Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXWPJY...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5809981

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Stinks. I am the same, can't stand screen scratches. I have ordered the below. Is the case friendly cut. I had one on my S7 edge and worked perfectly.

Armorsuit - Galaxy S8+ Screen Protector [Case Friendly] MilitaryShield For Samsung Galaxy S8+ Lifetime Replacement Anti-Bubble HD Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXWPJY...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5810002

Thanks. It's not available in the UK, typical really

However having read the reviews on Amazon.com, it looks to be only ok!

Quite happy with the Strada case I'm using now, so will stick with it naked!

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
While I am the same way, remind yourself this is a tool. A battle tool of life. In the end it does not matter. You'll accumulate dings and scratches until the next device. But I agree the first is always the hardest.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Ask your self this, do you know of anything, anything at all that you touch on a daily bases and doesn't get scratches and marks? Why so shocked when your phones screen is the same?

Yes, lots of things!

What a daft comment!

My iPad Pro is naked, with no screen protector and has zero scratches and I'm on it more or less all evening, every evening!

It shocks me because they sell these phones with lots of gusto about how strong their screens are etc... Yet mines scratched, without knowing how, when it's treated very carefully indeed!

It's sods law, I accept that... But for it's price, I expected much, much better!

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Any pics? I've posted elsewhere asking if it's a deep scratch or spider web type scratch... wondering if it's the oleophobic coatings that's scratching and not the glass. could be the coating it just weak.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Can't believe it

I've been telling anybody that asks. Find a place that offers the official Samsung S8+ screen protector and purchase it. It's perfect in every way. Fit, case-friendly (mostly), and use. It's not glass, but you won't even know it's there.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Are you certain that the scratch is on glass and not just the oleophobic coating? If you get an oleophobic coating kit you can try applying it and see if you can get the scratch to go away.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Are you certain that the scratch is on glass and not just the oleophobic coating? If you get an oleophobic coating kit you can try applying it and see if you can get the scratch to go away.

No idea and never heard of what you've mentioned. But, I'll look into it. Thanks

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I've been telling anybody that asks. Find a place that offers the official Samsung S8+ screen protector and purchase it. It's perfect in every way. Fit, case-friendly (mostly), and use. It's not glass, but you won't even know it's there.

They get terrible reviews; like 9/10 of all other screen protectors!

This is a huge issue with the Edge style phone screens...

It'll make me think twice when it comes to my next purchase

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
They get terrible reviews; like 9/10 of all other screen protectors!

This is a huge issue with the Edge style phone screens...

It'll make me think twice when it comes to my next purchase

Just because idiots post reviews because they cannot install a screen protector properly does not mean the screen protector is bad. It's not a "huge issue." Take time, apply it right and it's perfect. Took about 10 minutes total, which I understand in this ADD era is viewed as too much time to do anything, but it works. Not a bubble, not a corner lifting, not a scratch on my screen.

Wolvansd

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
I have a spigen film screen protector on my S8+ and its works pretty good. I think I'm going to try and apply the 2nd one that came with pack and try to get a bit smoother install. My first attempt was pretty decent, but have some slightly rippling along the top 1/4 of screen and its off centered a hair to one side. But no issues with my spigen case so far.

Really can only notice the rippling effect with screen off, with it on cant' see it.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I have a spigen film screen protector on my S8+ and its works pretty good. I think I'm going to try and apply the 2nd one that came with pack and try to get a bit smoother install. My first attempt was pretty decent, but have some slightly rippling along the top 1/4 of screen and its off centered a hair to one side. But no issues with my spigen case so far.

Really can only notice the rippling effect with screen off, with it on cant' see it.

See, I couldn't cope with that. I have issues haha

I'm fine with the screen as it is currently; like I said, the Otterbox case is superb and really, should have bought it in the first place rather than the 2 Spigen cases I had!

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

I honestly do not think there is an "official Samsung screen protector". I'm looking at Samsungs Shop app now and there's nothing like that for sale. I keep hearing there is, but don't you think if it was"official" from Samsung then they would sell it on their site and app?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
I honestly do not think there is an "official Samsung screen protector". I'm looking at Samsungs Shop app now and there's nothing like that for sale. I keep hearing there is, but don't you think if it was"official" from Samsung then they would sell it on their site and app?

There is. Look on the Samsung UK or JP site. They don't sell it - or the Alcantara case - in the states for whatever reason.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, lots of things!

What a daft comment!

My iPad Pro is naked, with no screen protector and has zero scratches and I'm on it more or less all evening, every evening!

It shocks me because they sell these phones with lots of gusto about how strong their screens are etc... Yet mines scratched, without knowing how, when it's treated very carefully indeed!

It's sods law, I accept that... But for it's price, I expected much, much better!

The difference though is the iPad isn't sitting in your pocket. A speck of sand can scratch the screen.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
There is. Look on the Samsung UK or JP site. They don't sell it - or the Alcantara case - in the states for whatever reason.

Oh... Ok. Why would it not be available in the states? Biggest market on Earth and they doing want to sell to us? That's just weird lol. Thx for the info.