installation of screen protector

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone have any tips on how to actually get the edges of the screen protector to actually stick. I'm currently trying g the yootech which has amazing reviews. After sitting for 2 hours all the edges peeled back up. I have tried others and the same thing. The edges won't stay stuck down at all.

I'm also aware that I started the " why are screen protectors still a thing thread" I listened to the arguments and figured what's the worst that can happen. I would like to actually try one out but the darn edges won't stick down for me.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried applying hot air on the edges? Not too hot though, and if you've had the protector on for too long chances are you've collected too much dust/lint from the environment on the edges that the adhesive just won't stick anymore...

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I have not tried hot air, also I don't have a source for hot air. .aybe I will take it to work and install it in the operating room. A nice clean sterile environment haha.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I have not tried hot air, also I don't have a source for hot air. .aybe I will take it to work and install it in the operating room. A nice clean sterile environment haha.

Well, problem with that is that in the meantime it's collecting dust on the adhesive, and if it's an air-activated one it's already 'curing'. If it's one you can wash and re-install I'd suggest you do that before you try again. Also if it's not a wet install one, light scotch tape on the edges overnight helps keep the edges in place. But you gotta make sure the screen is really clean or it'll just come off eventually.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Well, problem with that is that in the meantime it's collecting dust on the adhesive, and if it's an air-activated one it's already 'curing'. If it's one you can wash and re-install I'd suggest you do that before you try again. Also if it's not a wet install one, light scotch tape on the edges overnight helps keep the edges in place. But you gotta make sure the screen is really clean or it'll just come off eventually.

It's a wet install, yootech had some really great suggestions so I'm going to try again tomorrow when I can let it fully sit the requested amount of time before putting a case on.

I read that post as well. This being a curved screen, I feel that it's more prone to a scratch than a standard flat screen. Which I have never had issues with, I'm open to trying these things out, hopefully I can get it working this weekend.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've used IQ Shield's wet-install ones for a few phones, and it's always worked great....except they just can't get the whole 'case friendly' thing right until like their fourth revision by the time you're already changing phones. It's baffling really. It's just a matter of cutting the corners off for Pete's sake!

Anywho, for wet install the tape trick works, as well as the hot air one. But cases might be tricky even after they 'stick'.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Wet polyurethane protector? Yea the edges were a pain for my xtreme guard as well, what I did was wrap the phone vertically in a piece of paper and taped the paper tight. A couple hours of this should work but don't even think about sticking the phone in a case until atleast 12 hours later. Longer if you can, my bottom corners got picked up and i imagine it would have been fine if I was able to leave the phone to dry for 24 or more hours.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have any tips on how to actually get the edges of the screen protector to actually stick. I'm currently trying g the yootech which has amazing reviews. After sitting for 2 hours all the edges peeled back up. I have tried others and the same thing. The edges won't stay stuck down at all.

I'm also aware that I started the " why are screen protectors still a thing thread" I listened to the arguments and figured what's the worst that can happen. I would like to actually try one out but the darn edges won't stick down for me.

Try the "case friendly" screen protectors. If you're installing a wet install screen protector you should wait overnight so that it can dry.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I got the ArmorSuit variant of a wet-application case-friendly screen protector and I put it on at night before I went to sleep so that it could sit and cure. For my screen protector, the instructions were for after applying the screen protector to wait at least 15 minutes before carefully pushing down the edges and doing so a couple of times actually got it to stick. I care fully put it in a case and it didn't cause any of the edges to peel off. I left the phone alone for the rest of the night and it actually stuck well. I've had it on for over a week now and it hasn't budged since applying.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I got the ArmorSuit variant of a wet-application case-friendly screen protector

Yeah, what she said. You have to wait and let the edges sit, then work them down with either a damp finger or the microfiber pad included. You also have to get the case-friendly versions if going that way, and let the shield dry at least overnight.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I was super excited about the armorsuit one. When applying it went on the best and had a smaller footprint. The issue was that when following directions and using the crap microfiber cloth they include. Black fibers shed off and stuck under the edges so after I turned the screen on the edges were littered with little black specks. I could never get them off after that, I emailed them 2 days ago and they haven't gotten back. Luckily Amazon refund my money for lack of response from armorsuit.

The yootech edges peeled up in their own while it just sat on my counter and dried, never tried to out a case on. The Spigen one peeled up after 13 hours of drying when I put my Spigen case on it.

All of these are "case" friendly so they say. I'm going to try tonight and use the scotch tape trick along the edges and let it sit over night.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have put on 5 of the Armorsuit shields using the microfiber cloth and have had no issue with fibers anywhere. The cloth is used primarily for cleaning the screen before application and cleaning up after the thing has dried. Smoothing out with the squeegee until all the liquid is removed and then using a finger to form over the edges after they have set for 15 minutes worked for me. I also received immediate response from Armorsuit through Amazon because the first one I got was cut incorrectly. And that was on a weekend. In my experience they have excellent customer service.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I have put on 5 of the Armorsuit shields using the microfiber cloth and have had no issue with fibers anywhere. The cloth is used primarily for cleaning the screen before application and cleaning up after the thing has dried. Smoothing out with the squeegee until all the liquid is removed and then using a finger to form over the edges after they have set for 15 minutes worked for me. I also received immediate response from Armorsuit through Amazon because the first one I got was cut incorrectly. And that was on a weekend. In my experience they have excellent customer service.

You know it's funny because the original one I bought from them has worked really well from the moment I applied it so I didn't really have an issue with this screen protector peeling, even when I put the case on, but I just got an email from Amazon saying that ArmorSuit is sending me the correct cut lol guess I have extra protectors just in case!

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Im using the scotch tape trick on the edges and going to let this one dry for 12+ hours. If it doesn't work I'm out of the screen protector game, not worth the headache anymore.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I've tried a few and Tech Armor (Case Friendly) has been the best so far with my Spigen case. It's stayed perfectly on for over a week now.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm done with screen protectors not one of the 7 I have put on has actually worked at all.

The funny part is the only one I feel would actually work is the armor suit but f a company that won't respond to a paying customer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund