Anyone use Samsung Pay a lot?

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Oh yes we have all the needed hardware and software but lacking in implementation !

I've used Apple Pay and am using Android Pay so it's not like options are not there.

That said it'd be nice to have a choice to use Samsung Pay.
I understand you have tap and pay, but I have heard you have done away with swiping years ago.

I also heard that Samsung Pay might be coming to the UK in about a week, I think it was May 19th.

Last edited:

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Love paying with my Gear S3. "Yes, I just paid with my watch."😁
Mark I paid at a Speedway gas station the other day with my watch and the cashier was amazed lol. Said people pay with their phones often but she's never seen with the watch.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
It works at Chipotle. Used it today. Has worked at different locations. The cashiers never think it will work until I hold the phone beside the screen where they swipe the card. Even the manager is astonished that it works.
Only reason I haven't tried at Chipotle is they always seem to be in a major hurry. Also I've been ordering ahead since I can skip the line that way

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
It definitely works with the square plug in card reader. It takes awhile for it to transmit so I leave the phone near the square until the cashier let me know it went through.
When I had a 7Edge and also with the Note 7, it worked on a little square reader at a cupcake shop last year

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Another benefit (not unique to Samsung Pay, but Apple Pay does this as well) is that our credit card was compromised for the third time since November (we have our suspects as it happened after one particular local charge - not done with Samsung Pay) and when the security for our credit card canceled and reissued a new card, the card was automatically updated in Samsung Pay so we could start using it immediately without waiting for the physical card in the mail. I'll still have to wait for the physical card to change my automatic online payments and such, since I don't even know the card number, but it's active in Samsung Pay.

Keith929

May 10, 2017
Visit site
My question is since we don't get charged any fee and get points on top of that, what does samsung get out of it? Why do they care?

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
My question is since we don't get charged any fee and get points on top of that, what does samsung get out of it? Why do they care?
Oh, trust me. Samsung is likely getting some sort of revenue sharing percentage kickback from the credit card companies, every time Samsung pay is used to make a purchase.

Keith929

May 10, 2017
Visit site
Easy, it only works with Samsung hardware therefore ppl are forced to keep buying Samsung devices.

Using your phone is not anymore convenient than using yours debit card. In fact I found it more of a process to take phone out, unlock, open app, add pin, then spend 20-45 seconds finding the sweet spot, then finally entering in your debit pin and wait for approval. And still it may fail sometimes and you would repeat while getting all sweaty while people behind you are watching to see what the big deal is and why are you taking so darn long attempting this gimmick 3 times while the clerk is resetting the machine for you with each failed attempt. Lol. THIS IS TRUE STORY.

It wasn't till I started using it with my watch gear s3 that made it more convenient than cash or card.

Again samsung isn't giving people anything they cant do without samsung pay.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Using your phone is not anymore convenient than using yours debit card. In fact I found it more of a process to take phone out, unlock, open app, add pin, then spend 20-45 seconds finding the sweet spot, then finally entering in your debit pin and wait for approval. And still it may fail sometimes and you would repeat while getting all sweaty while people behind you are watching to see what the big deal is and why are you taking so darn long attempting this gimmick 3 times while the clerk is resetting the machine for you with each failed attempt. Lol. THIS IS TRUE STORY.

It wasn't till I started using it with my watch gear s3 that made it more convenient than cash or card.

You don't have to unlock and open app? You can swipe up from the home screen and then do fingerprint.. tap and done. Takes no time.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

I prefer the phone and watch using Samsung Pay over credit cards. I can see why some prefer cards too though. Personal preferences

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Lock preferences
2c28e200290284853aef6a74b1348c6f.jpg

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
You don't have to unlock and open app? You can swipe up from the home screen and then do fingerprint.. tap and done. Takes no time.

Yeah, I saw his comments and was going to post but you already did it, problem is that if he is also needs 20-25 seconds to find the sweet spot as he says, then it's obvious he still needs tons of more practice with his phone while doing this.

From the lockscreen swipe up and put your fingerprint shouldn't take more than 2 seconds, then no more than 2 more to just use the MST on the card reader, no more than 5 seconds in total, around what is taking me since I began using it when it was released. I have noticed that using the Gear S3 will take me more or less the same amount of time as I need to press and hold the top button of the watch until SPay activates then I need to press the pay button at the bottom of the watch, it's indeed more convenient when I have my phone on my pocket (most of the time) but if I have it on my hand, I'll always use the phone.