05-14-2017 10:56 PM
36 12
    I remember trying that app a while back. It was pretty cool.
    05-12-2017 11:16 PM
    With exception to all those named Sam or Samantha. When their name is spoken, hey Sammy may respond. If there is a child out there named Bixby, there just might be other issues.
    S Voice was "Hi Galaxy!"
    05-13-2017 01:02 AM
    I sue bixby now and really like it, it gives me way more at a glance information than google does. So I get:
    Health updates
    Step counter

Now all of that maybe available in some form in google now but I really like the layout of bixby. The other stuff, the visual scanner I couldn't care less about, the voice commands, well I'll wait and see, but at a glance information, it's on par for me with anything else which has always been my main use of cortana, google now (not Siri cause it can't do that).
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    05-13-2017 04:11 AM
    Cnn card shows news from September and doesn't refresh
    05-13-2017 06:42 AM
    Cnn card shows news from September and doesn't refresh
    I've noticed that too. Mine shows news from March.
    05-13-2017 08:39 AM
    I've noticed that too. Mine shows news from March.
    Mine also wouldn't refresh, but after the red tint update (which I didn't have) it now refreshes to current news.
    05-13-2017 09:00 AM
    Mine also wouldn't refresh, but after the red tint update (which I didn't have) it now refreshes to current news.
    However, I just used it and CNN has gone back to March news and won't refresh.
    05-13-2017 09:11 AM
    Flipboard is working fine though.
    05-13-2017 09:45 AM
    Bixby cards are too useless. Even the news ones are just three items, and two of them are highly condensed to provide context anyway.
    05-14-2017 01:08 AM
    I'm trying (note the present tense) to make use of Hello Bixby, but so far it doesn't seem to provide information as useful as Google Now/Assistant. As has been mentioned, I'm getting information on my emails, health stats, and some Flipboard news. I suppose it's mildly useful to have all of this in one place, but I was expecting from the Samsung press event that Hello Bixby would be providing me with context-specific info like traffic updates, restaurant recommendations, notifications when I have a package coming, etc.

Bixby's current implementation has been disappointing in other arenas too. I often dictate emails, text messages, etc. using voice typing. As per my use case, I wait for the Samsung keyboard to show up and then press the microphone button. The voice recognition service used to be provided by Google, and is now provided via Bixby. It's not nearly as good as Google at recognizing words spoken in my generic Midwestern American accent, and editing text that's already been spoken and transcribed is more cumbersome.

Finally we have Bixby Vision, which appears to be sub-par. I've yet to correctly identify a specific product. Bixby seems to get the general idea down. For example if I point it at a beer bottle it knows that I'm looking at beer, and will then give me more images of beer bottles. But it isn't able to do something so simple as figure out what brand of beer I'm looking at. This is especially amusing when I show Bixby an image of my Gear S3 on my wrist, and it shows me shopping results for Casio watches! Using a picture of a watch to show me more pictures of watches is a fairly basic implementation of modern deep learning techniques. It's impressive for a first year computer science grad student, but I'm expecting a lot more from a multinational tech company which supposedly has a whole team of data scientists and developers working on Bixby.

I'm greatly hoping that when Bixby voice is released, a lot of this will be improved as well. At least Samsung was smart enough to add the dedicated button. If it weren't there constantly reminding me of Bixby's presence, I would probably not have even used it for this long.
    05-14-2017 01:31 PM
    Bixby vision is the most useful feature in what we have available now. It reads qr codes which just saves me one app that I don't have to install.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    05-14-2017 10:56 PM
36 12