05-14-2017 10:56 PM
36 12
tools
    Why didn't they just name it Sammy? Would made sense. But anyway Bixby will be very useful just like Google Now. At least I hope so. Are y'all excited for it??

**Edit: I know someone who knows someone who may know a person that is working on the dev team. Could you guys tell me what you guys are looking for in Bixby? It's going to be hard work but I have a great feeling it'll be very good.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    05-12-2017 01:14 PM
    Hey, actually Sammy wouldn't have been bad haha. And it's 'unisex' enough so you can use male or female voices. I'm willing to give it a try (mostly because the effin' button is there), but if S-Voice is any indication of how Bixby will be and what Bixby cards are at the moment, I fear I'm sticking with Google's Assistant.
    05-12-2017 01:28 PM
    I'm excited to see what it offers.
    05-12-2017 01:54 PM
    I'll use Bixby for photo editing, organization and shortcuts alone.

I think people discounted Bixby way too soon.
    05-12-2017 02:01 PM
    All it's going to do is use up battery and nag with stuff you don't care about. I would much rather tell the phone what I want it to do for me instead of the other way around.
    05-12-2017 02:18 PM
    I havent used it for anything at all at this point. Anyone care to share what "Useful" features you use it for?
    05-12-2017 02:35 PM
    I havent used it for anything at all at this point. Anyone care to share what "Useful" features you use it for?
    That's the point, it doesn't do much of anything now. Supposition is it will be the bestestthingeveryousaw, but...well...that's supposition
    05-12-2017 02:40 PM
    Anyone know when this is rolling out in US? Also has anyone else noticed spotify is no longer on the list if supported apps?
    05-12-2017 02:49 PM
    05-12-2017 02:55 PM
    So far it's completely useless. I can't really say I'm at all excited for its future at this point.
    05-12-2017 03:06 PM
    Unless they show it off doing something really extraordinary, you have to think Bixby is eventually gonna end up on the tech scrap heap with Newton, Microsoft Bob, Web TV, Google Glass and oh yeah, S-Voice - to name a few. Having it crippled from the get-go, after making such a fuss about it, was ridiculous.
    05-12-2017 03:07 PM
    Tend to agree that it isn't likely to gain much adoption.

This did not go well for Samsung, given the nature of the rollout/deployment.

Those first impression always matter...
    05-12-2017 03:14 PM
    I've got it turned off and the button remapped to the Google assistant. Until they really go have it setup to compete with Google I'll just keep using Google.
    05-12-2017 03:56 PM
    I've got it turned off and the button remapped to the Google assistant. Until they really go have it setup to compete with Google I'll just keep using Google.
    You can remap the button?
    05-12-2017 05:57 PM
    You can remap the button?
    Not anymore. There's an app that lets you do it, but it doesn't really re-map the button, only kills Bixby before it spawns and opens Google instead.
    05-12-2017 06:00 PM
    I'm excited to see what it offers.
    Same here
    05-12-2017 06:37 PM
    Well I love the phone otherwise so it's not that big a deal for me personally
    05-12-2017 07:15 PM
    I'll keep using Assistant since it works with my other products as well.
    05-12-2017 07:37 PM
    Bixby Voice is not here yet. When it's here, you're supposed to be able to control most functions through voice.
    05-12-2017 09:06 PM
    05-12-2017 09:24 PM
    I barely use Google Assistant as it is. And that's a far more polished and robust product. Doubtful I'll even look at bixby until it's matured quite a bit.
    05-12-2017 09:48 PM
    I want to be able to tell my phone rather mundane tasks in normal language and it just do it.

Like while I'm heading to a job:
    "Ok Google ... Pull up my most recent email from John Johnson. Find the address in it and navigate to it."

Or "Hey Siri ... Search memes about squirrels ... Now download that second one and text it to Amy."

Or "Yo Bixby ... Text my dad a Google Maps link to my current location." (Haven't tried this one, maybe it's possible with the correct syntax on some of them?)

Even something as simple as this, which I've tried before. If you travel for work much and often take backroads/ highways (not just interstates), you probably often do not know what city you are actually in. I've been driving through a small town that has a cute downtown area. And I looked around while following my GPS route for the name of the town, but no shops had it on the window and I was on the wrong side of the courthouse to see the name or whatever. And wanted to know the name for reference. Nothing important, it wasn't vital to anything. Not worth taking my eyes off the road and zooming out on Google Maps. But no variation of "What city am I currently in?" or "What is my current location" (while actively navigating) would work.

I'm not saying that I expect Tony Stark's Jarvis in my pocket right now (even the Iron Man 1 movie version). But with current voice assistant technology, it feels like it'll be more than ten years before even my first example is possible.

So I'm hopeful that Bixby will offer a leap from Ok Google, Siri, and Cortana. But I'm not optimistic.
    05-12-2017 09:49 PM
    Hey, actually Sammy wouldn't have been bad haha. And it's 'unisex' enough so you can use male or female voices. I'm willing to give it a try (mostly because the effin' button is there), but if S-Voice is any indication of how Bixby will be and what Bixby cards are at the moment, I fear I'm sticking with Google's Assistant.
    With exception to all those named Sam or Samantha. When their name is spoken, hey Sammy may respond. If there is a child out there named Bixby, there just might be other issues.
    05-12-2017 10:21 PM
    I want to be able to tell my phone rather mundane tasks in normal language and it just do it.

Like while I'm heading to a job:
    "Ok Google ... Pull up my most recent email from John Johnson. Find the address in it and navigate to it."

Or "Hey Siri ... Search memes about squirrels ... Now download that second one and text it to Amy."

Or "Yo Bixby ... Text my dad a Google Maps link to my current location." (Haven't tried this one, maybe it's possible with the correct syntax on some of them?)

Even something as simple as this, which I've tried before. If you travel for work much and often take backroads/ highways (not just interstates), you probably often do not know what city you are actually in. I've been driving through a small town that has a cute downtown area. And I looked around while following my GPS route for the name of the town, but no shops had it on the window and I was on the wrong side of the courthouse to see the name or whatever. And wanted to know the name for reference. Nothing important, it wasn't vital to anything. Not worth taking my eyes off the road and zooming out on Google Maps. But no variation of "What city am I currently in?" or "What is my current location" (while actively navigating) would work.

I'm not saying that I expect Tony Stark's Jarvis in my pocket right now (even the Iron Man 1 movie version). But with current voice assistant technology, it feels like it'll be more than ten years before even my first example is possible.

So I'm hopeful that Bixby will offer a leap from Ok Google, Siri, and Cortana. But I'm not optimistic.
    So, this is 100 percent correct. The problem is, to get this level of AI, you need to have a) apps that ask for permission to export everything you ever do, for which you must grant permission, and b) you grant permission for every app on your phone to do this. And then let it track your GPS, spending, contacts, eyes on webpages via trackers, and basically every invasion of privacy known to mankind times a gazillion to do what you and I want it to do for us.
    TheyCallMeBT likes this.
    05-12-2017 10:24 PM
    So, this is 100 percent correct. The problem is, to get this level of AI, you need to have a) apps that ask for permission to export everything you ever do, for which you must grant permission, and b) you grant permission for every app on your phone to do this. And then let it track your GPS, spending, contacts, eyes on webpages via trackers, and basically every invasion of privacy known to mankind times a gazillion to do what you and I want it to do for us.
    Very good point. Makes me think of Samsung's fine print to not speak private information near one of its smart TVs.

Google's Voice Access app is actually the most excited I've been for something like this. It's not really an assistant, but rather an accessibility feature for people with dexterity problems. And it's still in dev. I guess for me, it all comes back to being able to use the phone for more than the basic while driving. And doing it safely. And this accomplished that pretty well for me. I never left it installed because it had a minor bug that I didn't want to have. But it's already pretty polished for being in development.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ty.voiceaccess
    05-12-2017 10:51 PM
36 12