Coming from Apple.. Got an S8+, Gear S3 - Notifications Question + SMS on Laptop

Drecca

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I just took the plunge coming from an iphone 7plus, watch, macbook pro, ipad.. basically, I was in the apple ecosystem for almost a decade

Since yesterday, I have the S8+, Gear S3 Frontier, and Surface Book Laptop

I have a few questions, mainly about notifications for now, and SMS on the laptop

1 - I liked being able to have silent notifications on the phone and watch for gmail emails. I receive a few hundred emails a day for work. I just want the little orange dot to show when there is an email, and be able to look at it when I need to. But while i can do silent notifications on the phone, the watch still vibrates. Every. Single. Email.

2 - How do I turn off notifications on the phone while the watch is on? It's pointless for me to have the phone sound off, or vibrate for a notification, when I'm getting it on the watch too

3 - I found Pushbullet that can do SMS between my windows laptop and the phone. It seems to work okay, but there are a few bugs and not all messages are sent or received. Especially if the laptop went to sleep, or the phone hasn't been opened in a while. Notification / badge icons aren't synced either. How can I fix this, or is there an alternative? I'm in Canada, so Cortana isn't an option yet

4 - I set the Gear S3 as a trusted device, and set my home as a trusted area, and yet my phone still locks every now and then, and I have to swipe the screen up 50% of the time. How can I just get to the home screen?

Thanks for the help in helping me come over to Android!!!

Last edited:

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I just took the plunge coming from an iphone 7plus, watch, macbook pro, ipad.. basically, I was in the apple ecosystem for almost a decade

Since yesterday, I have the S8+, Gear S3 Frontier, and Surface Book Laptop

I have a few questions, mainly about notifications for now, and SMS on the laptop

1 - I liked being able to have silent notifications on the phone and watch for gmail emails. I receive a few hundred emails a day for work. I just want the little orange dot to show when there is an email, and be able to look at it when I need to. But while i can do silent notifications on the phone, the watch still vibrates. Every. Single. Email.

2 - How do I turn off notifications on the phone while the watch is on? It's pointless for me to have the phone sound off, or vibrate for a notification, when I'm getting it on the watch too

3 - I found Pushbullet that can do SMS between my windows laptop and the phone. It seems to work okay, but there are a few bugs and not all messages are sent or received. Especially if the laptop went to sleep, or the phone hasn't been opened in a while. Notification / badge icons aren't synced either. How can I fix this, or is there an alternative? I'm in Canada, so Cortana isn't an option yet

4 - I set the Gear S3 as a trusted device, and set my home as a trusted area, and yet my phone still locks every now and then, and I have to swipe the screen up 50% of the time. How can I just get to the home screen?

Thanks for the help in helping me come over to Android!!!

1-) I think that for you can try putting your Gear S3 on Do Not Disturb Mode, while on the Apple watch it does it at the same time you do it on the iPhone, here you must do it on both.

2-) if what you want here is because it still notifies you on the phone even when you don't want, then by doing number 1 it should fix this, if is something else, I don't think you can do that without a third party App, I use MacroDroid, it's free and it let's you create 5 macros for free, I think you can create one that says when I connect to this device then turn on Do Not Disturb on the phone. I use one to automatically turns off the LED indicator when I connect it to a charger, don't want to be bothered by the light at nights.
3-) Try Samsung SideSync to see if it's better.
4-) Gear S3 as Trusted Device must work 100%, that's how I have it and it works all the time, but if your complaint is when using Trusted Locations, then that's another story, there is a known issue with that and Google is looking for a solution, is not just you, it's basically everybody that use that feature. Yesterday it worked again after 2 days not working, maybe today when I get home is not working again.

Vipmediastar

Apr 11, 2017
Visit site
#2 check the gear app. There is a setting there I believe to disable on phone or watch if one is being used. Off memory I don't remember exactly and don't have the phone at the moment.

Drecca

May 12, 2017
Visit site
#2 check the gear app. There is a setting there I believe to disable on phone or watch if one is being used. Off memory I don't remember exactly and don't have the phone at the moment.

ya i saw that in the gear app, no effect though. I think it's only if the phone screen is on, the gear won't notify you

Drecca

May 12, 2017
Visit site
1-) I think that for you can try putting your Gear S3 on Do Not Disturb Mode, while on the Apple watch it does it at the same time you do it on the iPhone, here you must do it on both.

2-) if what you want here is because it still notifies you on the phone even when you don't want, then by doing number 1 it should fix this, if is something else, I don't think you can do that without a third party App, I use MacroDroid, it's free and it let's you create 5 macros for free, I think you can create one that says when I connect to this device then turn on Do Not Disturb on the phone. I use one to automatically turns off the LED indicator when I connect it to a charger, don't want to be bothered by the light at nights.
3-) Try Samsung SideSync to see if it's better.
4-) Gear S3 as Trusted Device must work 100%, that's how I have it and it works all the time, but if your complaint is when using Trusted Locations, then that's another story, there is a known issue with that and Google is looking for a solution, is not just you, it's basically everybody that use that feature. Yesterday it worked again after 2 days not working, maybe today when I get home is not working again.

Thanks for the reply!

For #1 - That would work, but I'd like the vibration notifications for text messages, and a few other apps. If not, your suggestion would be ideal

2 - Thanks! I'll give that a shot. This would have no effect with bluetooth headsets right? Could be a stupid question, but want to make sure

3 - Just took a look at that. Could be an interesting solution.

4 - Thanks, good to know it's not just me!

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!

For #1 - That would work, but I'd like the vibration notifications for text messages, and a few other apps. If not, your suggestion would be ideal

2 - Thanks! I'll give that a shot. This would have no effect with bluetooth headsets right? Could be a stupid question, but want to make sure

3 - Just took a look at that. Could be an interesting solution.

4 - Thanks, good to know it's not just me!

Then try going to the Gear app and go to settings-notifications and see if you can combine the do not disturbe mode on your watch with the apps you want to receive notifications from.

About MacroDroid is just a Tasker, an app that tells the phone what to do when certain conditions occurs.

James8561

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Congratulations on your new phone and laptop! Galaxy + Surface is a dream combo!

1. You can go into your respective email app settings (I only ever used Outlook and Samsung email) and set the notification sound to "silent" or "none" and you'll get the blinking LED without any sound.
2. Unfortunately there's no automatic way to do this unless you create a Tasker profile but the best you can do is set the phone to silent (not vibrate, silent).
3. You can always try downloading Cortana and set region to US see if that works. Or just use an app like FB Messenger.
4. Make sure your Gear doesn't go outside of Bluetooth range. I notice that the Bluetooth on the new Galaxy is a bit weaker for some reason

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs