Finally have my s8!

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Yesterday I drove to the delivery depot to collect it instead of waiting till Monday.

Quick impressions from an iPhone user, really like this phone! Stand out so far is the build quality, the battery life, love the edge shortcuts (through the edge lighting doesn't seem to work consistently and lacks and customisation), the speed of it, the always on display.

Quick question about the always on display, it doesn't seem to affect battery life much, however will using this feature shorten the life of the screen? Was thinking that if the screen is on all the time as opposed to off at times it will shorten the life of the screen? Or get dead pixels quicker etc?

Liking it so far, no problems with the finger print scanner either, can find it quite naturally and really like that by using it even when phone is locked and screen 'off' one press and I'm at my home screen.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
The aod is meant to save battery. If you wake the device up just to see the time or notifications, you light up the entire screen. That takes power. The aod clock is on low setting, and it changes pixels around so it's not the same ones burning constantly. It also goes off if it senses that it's face down or in your pocket.
You have the best phone ever made there, the only trap as an ex iPhone user is the myriad settings and tweaks. These are much more hands on then the iPhone... Enjoy your beautiful phone!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Unless you keep your device for a number of years, you probably will have upgraded long before it would be an issue. AOD shouldn't have burn in by design.

Enjoy your new device and congratulations on coming over from the dark side.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I came from an iPhone and I can say that the only things I really miss are iMessage/facetime and findmyiphone. My work friends on iPhones now just send regular text and i signed up for WhatsApp and made my kids do the same. There was an app for findmyiphone i use and I also use the website if needed, I use it to keep tabs on the kids

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I came from an iPhone and I can say that the only things I really miss are iMessage/facetime and findmyiphone. My work friends on iPhones now just send regular text and I signed up for WhatsApp and made my kids do the same. There was an app for findmyiphone i use and I also use the website if needed, I use it to keep tabs on the kids

Me being really an Android guy I just try iPhones every now and then, my whole family, wife and daughters, now have iPhones so iMessage and FindMyFriends are indeed handy tools, BUT, like I've mentioned before, I won't let features dictate which phones I really want, so I've never relied on IMessage for our main way of communications, Whatsapp is free and used by billions of users, cross platforms, so even when I'm using an iphone as my daily driver we just communicate via whatsapp and our family group.

FindMyFriends to me is a more useful tool and I kind of miss it, but Google released back in March, Location Sharing for Google Maps so having Google Maps installed in all their phones, I activated this so now I can keep tracking my daughters whereabouts even from Android devices. It doesn't work quite as well and it doesn't refreshes location as much as I'd like but being their first try I'd give them a pass and see how they can improve it.

Last week after having my Galaxy Tab S for 3 years now I decided to get a new tablet and given the price of the new Tab S3, I decided to explore getting an iPad and for my surprise and because of the new iPad price that's what I did, just managed to get a new one without box from Swappa for $280. Now I have both OS again and if I need to use iMessage and FindMyFriends I can do it again, win win for me.

Last edited:

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I thankfully don't rely on imessage much so don't miss it. I use messenger and WhatsApp more, people use so many different methods now and are comfortable using more than one that I've not found it a problem.

Find my android does the same thing as fund my iPhone Yeah? I didn't use that much so don't know to be honest.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I thankfully don't rely on imessage much so don't miss it. I use messenger and WhatsApp more, people use so many different methods now and are comfortable using more than one that I've not found it a problem.

Find my android does the same thing as fund my iPhone Yeah? I didn't use that much so don't know to be honest.

In relation to find or manage the device remotely, Samsung's approach to me is better than the default Android one, look for Find My Mobile on Lock Screen And Security (if your carrier didn't disable it). Same concept but some additional features, not bad having both of them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800