Tempered Glass For Back of S8?

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I'm looking for a tempered glass back protector for the S8. Can't find one anywhere, but seems like a no brainer to make for people that don't like cases. Anyone know where I can find one? Thanks.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's not a bad idea. Especially if there was an option for a matter or sand-blasted type finish to reduce fingerprints.

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Basically, I want a tempered glass protector for the front and rear panels of the s8 phone. I'm concerned about impact from 3 feet drops. I'm hoping that tempered glass protectors on both sides would save the glass, even if the protector cracks. I'd keep spares on hand. Cheaper than a new phone.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
It's about the same thickness as a glass protecter. It is also rated at 9H hardness. The only thing harder is a diamond. The issue with a rear glass protecter would be cut outs for the camera and FPS. How would they affect the structural integrity of the protector?

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
It's about the same thickness as a glass protecter. It is also rated at 9H hardness. The only thing harder is a diamond. The issue with a rear glass protecter would be cut outs for the camera and FPS. How would they affect the structural integrity of the protector?

I'd be willing to find out if someone made them!

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
That is an interesting idea. I want to use my phone without a case but I don't have the money to replace it every few weeks. I am going to search the internet for more options and see what is available.

ltcjmramos

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Not tempered glass.

I just put a dbrand skin on the back of mine. For now, left the screen unprotected. I've tried two tempered glass protectors on the screen. Neither worked. I have a film protector standing by.

k3m1c6

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I was looking for something like that for my Note 5 but was unable to find one. I went to the Zagg booth in a local mall to get a glass protector for the front and they where able to cut a back protector for the back but it was just a plastic one.

I don't think enough people would be interested in glass for the back to justify the expense for anyone to develop it.

Anastayja1

Trusted Member
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I was looking for something like that for my Note 5 but was unable to find one. I went to the Zagg booth in a local mall to get a glass protector for the front and they where able to cut a back protector for the back but it was just a plastic one.

I don't think enough people would be interested in glass for the back to justify the expense for anyone to develop it.

While you may be right, i'd imagine I am not alone in wishing there was a tempered glass option for the backs of these phones. More manufacturers are creating glass backs so it seems like a market for something like this is growing.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
More manufacturers are creating glass backs so it seems like a market for something like this is growing.

I'd have to disagree. I think the glass phones are creating a great market for armored cases. Putting glass over glass makes no sense to me from a mechanical standpoint, and that's what happens is the phones falls. On the other hand, it would be pretty :)
FWIW, my Tough Armor saved my phone from a shirt pocket fall to a tile floor with absolutely no damage. To the phone or case. I much prefer function over form for a $850 phone.

Whiskey619

May 14, 2017
Visit site
I just upgraded from any s7 that cracked falling out of my pocket while I was sitting in a chair. I'm keeping my new phone in a case, but I've always hated cases because of the additional bulk and how they detract from the design of the phone. I'm definitely interested in something more minimalistic.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I just upgraded from any s7 that cracked falling out of my pocket while I was sitting in a chair. I'm keeping my new phone in a case, but I've always hated cases because of the additional bulk and how they detract from the design of the phone. I'm definitely interested in something more minimalistic.
I just got a cheap 20$ case running without protector on my screen i quite like the glass feeling + i only hear bad things about glass protector because of the edges. Might consider a dbrand soon though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid