Need advice for a smart watch to go with my S8

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I recommend the Gear S3 Classic over the Frontier because it goes with more and looks more professional. That being said, I am an accountant so if you are someone who hikes a lot or works in a more industrial job then the Frontier. They are essentially the same except for a few features but both are the best watch for the S8 or any Samsung phone for that matter.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I did try the T-Mobile S3 but I wasn't impress with the battery life. You can get 3 days if you pretty much turn everything off on it. I had the AOD on, with LTE off, wi-fi off and I could only get 2 days.

I did like how the S3 was smaller and lighter than the Fenix 3. I have the Titanium model and it's still heavy to me. Maybe when they can figure out how to get 5 days with the AOD on, I will consider it.

I agree with the battery life. I don't have AOD turned on, but everything else is. I'm still getting a couple days before charging. I try to charge it in my down time. I knew ahead of time what I was getting into with the battery, but there is so much more I can with the Gear S3 in conjunction with my phone.

Keith Molloy

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Can someone comment on the affect the gear s3 has on the battery life of the s8 if its constantly connected which i assume uses bluetooth? I literally know nothing about these and i imagine for most people the probably save battery in the sense that the watch takes away from you having to unlock your phone alot of times etc However, iam interested in how much screen on time it actually takes from the s8 regardless of wether you wind up getting more from the phone!

1naturalace

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I have the Gear S2 and it works perfectly fine for me and they're super discounted now so it would be a good time to buy one. I have smaller wrists so its a really good fit for me.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Can someone comment on the affect the gear s3 has on the battery life of the s8 if its constantly connected which i assume uses bluetooth? I literally know nothing about these and i imagine for most people the probably save battery in the sense that the watch takes away from you having to unlock your phone alot of times etc However, iam interested in how much screen on time it actually takes from the s8 regardless of wether you wind up getting more from the phone!

No affect that I've noticed. On either my S8 or the S6.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a GS3 classic. Looks better than the Frontier IMO. I go out to some pretty nice places where I'm dressed nicely and I get compliments all the time. Ditch the leather band though. Its junk. The S2 Classic leather bands felt way nicer.

As for the durability of the Frontier, it's not anymore durable. Materials look the same, only that Frontier is colored. If it scratches the finish you have to have it repudiated to fix it. The Classic has brushed and polished stainless steel surfaces. Both can be fixed pretty easily with the right tools without having to refinish it. I have some knicks on the bezel already and I can barely see it. And it looks great against both polished and brushed stainless steel bands. Colored bands will show signs of wear on the finish just from resting your wrists at your desk and such.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I recommend the Gear S3 Classic over the Frontier because it goes with more and looks more professional. That being said, I am an accountant so if you are someone who hikes a lot or works in a more industrial job then the Frontier. They are essentially the same except for a few features but both are the best watch for the S8 or any Samsung phone for that matter.

Whether or not you go with the Classic or Frontier will be user preference. I'm not an accountant, and yes I like the Classic too, but I'm more of an active, outdoor, military themed individual, so I prefer the Frontier.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a GS3 classic. Looks better than the Frontier IMO. I go out to some pretty nice places where I'm dressed nicely and I get compliments all the time. Ditch the leather band though. Its junk. The S2 Classic leather bands felt way nicer.

As for the durability of the Frontier, it's not anymore durable. Materials look the same, only that Frontier is colored. If it scratches the finish you have to have it repudiated to fix it. The Classic has brushed and polished stainless steel surfaces. Both can be fixed pretty easily with the right tools without having to refinish it. I have some knicks on the bezel already and I can barely see it. And it looks great against both polished and brushed stainless steel bands. Colored bands will show signs of wear on the finish just from resting your wrists at your desk and such.

They both look cool, but I vastly prefer the military blacked out look of the Frontier. Looks more professional and "real" to me than the more pansy office looking Classic.

I work in a pansy office btw lol.

the_munc_e

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
Have the gear S2 LTE and like it very much. Would love to get the S3 but Verizon says we don't need it...
Are they ever going to get it?

Says on their website it was suppose to launch with the s8 and it didn't. The thing released last year and they still don't have it? Makes NO sense.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
They both look cool, but I vastly prefer the military blacked out look of the Frontier. Looks more professional and "real" to me than the more pansy office looking Classic.

I work in a pansy office btw lol.

Surely, the aesthetics are a personal preference. I prefer my watch to pop a little more, particularly in social settings. But I wear it around the office too, which includes frequent trips to the shop floor where in constantly running into things. I was commenting mostly about the differences in durability as someone started the Frontier is more durable. The S2 Classic was much more durable than either of these, but if you did happen to knick the surface, it did produce a blemish that can't be easily repaired. Either way, the S3 Classic manages to hide blemish better and would be easier to repair.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I am getting so sick of waiting for the Verizon S3... will probably just buy the regular 4 when it drops.
I wanted the Verizon version as well. Gonna keep on with my t-mobile version. Maybe they'll get the Gear S4 right.
Can you buy the s3 direct from Samsung? They have no interest plans on phones. Not sure of the watches thru them
You can but the Verizon version still isn't available there either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21