Sometimes it's great when you don't have options because of the Design. Using it naked.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm tired of wasting my money on Screen Protectors and Tempered Glass. I mentioned how I went through this last year and gave it another shot but this time dust started collecting on the edges.

This led to going with Wallet cases, using Spigen for both S8 & S8+ but TBH not really a fan especially now that the FPS is located awkwardly on the back. I use my left hand majority of the time.

Because of the Design, I'm starting to use both naked more and I don't have to tell you it feels amazing. LOL I used to but I had a string of bad luck where for some reason I kept dropping them. Before it was rare.

I think I'll go with dbrand skin on the back just to make it less slippery.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You are brave )) lol
I bought the zagg glass screen protector at best buy and the guy installed it . It's been five days and no touch problem or coming off yet . I had the zagg film protector and it kept peeling up on the sides . I like the glass much better as I'm a mechanic by trade so can't go naked with this phone..

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a dbrand and a bumper case and I'm not spending another dime. It's incredibly freeing to not worry about it and enjoy how stunning this phone is. Not everyone can do it though. Cases I feel are necessary with this device. But I just can't do screen protectors. They gross me out.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
You are brave but also smart, OP! It's great to experience the phone at its core, in that regard. Using it naked is certainly a wonderful feeling. My mom's S4 was used naked for years (and it was white!)... And I'd always admired my mom's courage and also how well her device held up over time.

You can do it! Enjoy!

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Once you get used to naked, you never go back to screen protectors and cases.

Years ago, I used cases on my phones but ever since I took my screen protector and case off of my Droid razr over five years ago, I haven't wore any of that crap since. It was like a new phone.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Once you get used to naked, you never go back to screen protectors and cases.

Years ago, I used cases on my phones but ever since I took my screen protector and case off of my Droid razr over five years ago, I haven't wore any of that crap since. It was like a new phone.

You're not even slightly worried about scratches?

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Maybe some people's, but not mine... so far lol. This phone however has me more concerned than any other due to it's curved screen.

I had the pleasure of comment sections for both the S7 Edge and Note 7, and I can tell you it's like reliving both again with this whole scratch thing. Not that I want to excuse Samsung here, but it's the nature of curved glass. It's more fragile and you do the best you can to protect it, but at a certain point you gotta stop worrying about it and enjoy the phone.

It's going to get scratched some, and show wear and tear.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I never have a case on any of my phones unless it's a battery case... The one crack I ever had was from pushing device out of a snug (battery backpack) case...

Last edited:

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a dbrand and a bumper case and I'm not spending another dime. It's incredibly freeing to not worry about it and enjoy how stunning this phone is. Not everyone can do it though. Cases I feel are necessary with this device. But I just can't do screen protectors. They gross me out.
May I ask what brand bumper case you elected to go with?

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I had the pleasure of comment sections for both the S7 Edge and Note 7, and I can tell you it's like reliving both again with this whole scratch thing. Not that I want to excuse Samsung here, but it's the nature of curved glass. It's more fragile and you do the best you can to protect it, but at a certain point you gotta stop worrying about it and enjoy the phone.

It's going to get scratched some, and show wear and tear.

Good point. Why is it that we accept phone designs that are beautiful fragile? I don't know anyone who doesn't routinely drop their phone. At this point, every phone should be as bulletproof as the Motorola Droid Turbo2 and beautiful as the S8. My BlackBerrys of of six years ago were a lot more durable and the z10, q10,z30, and Torch were tough as hell and gorgeous.

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I'm tired of wasting my money on Screen Protectors and Tempered Glass. I mentioned how I went through this last year and gave it another shot but this time dust started collecting on the edges.

This led to going with Wallet cases, using Spigen for both S8 & S8+ but TBH not really a fan especially now that the FPS is located awkwardly on the back. I use my left hand majority of the time.

Because of the Design, I'm starting to use both naked more and I don't have to tell you it feels amazing. LOL I used to but I had a string of bad luck where for some reason I kept dropping them. Before it was rare.

I think I'll go with dbrand skin on the back just to make it less slippery.

Couldn't agree more. I have come to this conclusion as well. I know it's a risk, but I bought insurance and have a backup phone in the drawer. All I have on my beautiful S8 is a front and rear skin by armorsuit. It prevents scratches and increases grip. This phone looks and feels great without a case!

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Dbrand Dragon skin to protect the back from scratching otherwise naked here. I purchased Squaretrade insurance and my max out of pocket if it is dropped is about $160 (got the 1 year plan with a coupon for like $60 plus $99 deductible). I have had the Note 5, S7 edge and rarely used cases. I used a very minimal one of the S7 edge to help with accidental touches on the curved edge for a bit, but eventually took it off and went the skin route.

I work in an office and my phone is in my left pocket with nothing else usually. I only use a cheap wallet case on beach days and a that is about it. I used to spend hundreds on cases and was never really happy with them.

Besides the wallet case I have 2 cases I got when the name brand stuff was going for like $4 and I hardly use them. But they might come in handy if I go to a theme park or some other place that I might get bumped or whatever.

Vipmediastar

Apr 11, 2017
Visit site
I have tried maybe 5 cases already. Currently using the first one I bought. I tried wallet case, clear cases etc. I'm going to custom design from Slick Wraps matte finish and use it like that with a pop socket or add a thin clear case on it. I currently have a clear case but when I take it for VR the fingerprints are back on.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm enjoying my s8 with a Samsung Protector on it - granted it's not glass but it's near as damn it.

dbrand Black Dragon back skin and a RhinoShield Bumper finishes it off.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Another reason is I hate how I babied it for 4-6 months with cases & screen protectors and to turn around selling it not even getting the feeling of using it naked.

It sort of started with my moto Z I had back in March, again not having a choice because of the design with the Mods I just used a BUMPER that they included.

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
You're not even slightly worried about scratches?
Tiny micro scratches where its only visible through HD lighting, no. I've never experienced a visible scratch on any of my phones.

If I was worried about scratches, then I would buy a very light case to avoid that. I'm not ever worried about scratches on the display because gorilla Glass always does a good job of preventing that for me.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Another reason is I hate how I babied it for 4-6 months with cases & screen protectors and to turn around selling it not even getting the feeling of using it naked.

This . . I realize some people need/want/like cases, so I'm not wanting to ding anyone for their choice, but here's where the logic broke down for me and I started going case-less . . .
1) "Dang, this is a beautiful phone, I'm going to put it in a case so it doesn't get scratched"
2) (puts case on phone) "There now it is protected from ever tarnishing it's beauty" (all the while it's beauty is covered by the case)
3) (takes case off to sell) "Dang that's a beautiful phone, a pleasure to hold as well"
4) Next person enjoys looking at and enjoying beautiful phone while I never did . . .
5) "Dang, why did I bother to baby this thing and hide it's beauty only to give it to someone else or put it in a drawer when the next big thing comes along?"
(I know, I know, resale value and all, but still . . .)

As I said, I know there are good reasons for cases, but especially since us enthusiasts change phones every year or two anyway, why not just enjoy it and use it . .

Edit/Add - The HTC U11 phone announced today is a perfect example, looks like an exquisite piece of fine jewelry. You'd be crazy to go without a case, but if its covered up it looks like every other phone in a case.

Last edited: