Has anybody used their gear vr? I just got mine and everything looks grainy? Its not like real clear hd looking like i imagined it would be,and im not talking blurry (i have adjusted the wheel on top).
    05-14-2017 09:25 PM
    No probs here.
    Just had to wipe the phone screen and both sides of the VR lenses is all.
    Is it the same on all of the VR apps?

Mav.
    05-14-2017 09:47 PM
    After the novelty of the immersive environment wears off, the screen door effect, which is what you're referring to, becomes a nuisance. It's not unique to the Gear VR. After watching HDTV, it's a little hard to take.
    05-14-2017 09:51 PM
    The grain you see is screen door effect. Basically the screen resolution isn't optimal. Meaning we need a 4k screen to help eliminate that. If that seems crazy because the device is already QHD res, think if it this way. In VR the screen essentially gets chopped into two large circles on left and right side of screen in landscape mode. If you slowly take the phone off VR slowly you can see it before it reverts back to normal. Each side displays roughly the same information just offset to give it that 3d effect. So what you see in VR is less than half of the pixels you see while using the display normally. Except it's blown up to fill your entire Field of vision. Which really isn't that high of a resolution. The screen door effect comes from the pixel density therefore being a little on the low side. Your essentially looking at the pixels from a really close distance through magnifying lenses. While using the Netflix app in VR to guage image quality, I'd say the video I watched was between 480p and 720p quality. Probably closer to 480p. I watched some Star trek Voyager episode and it looked fairly comparable to what I see on TV. Then switched to The Last Samurai, which is full HD. The movie looked slightly better definition wise than Star trek but not by much. Definitely not the crisp 1080p you would see on TV
    Viscomi4444 likes this.
    05-14-2017 10:10 PM
    For 360 movies, unfortunately even 4k video is not enough for 360 degree videos, It is unfortunate because it is still taking so much power and bandwidth to stream from youtube and yet its not enough resolution for the movie sphere.

As for 3d games, it should be half way descent, make sure you have put the game in 4k mode or I guess all your 3d is rendered at 1080p.

I don't know how much of a screen door effect you will see on this kind of screen, it will be my first time seeing oled up close in vr goggles, but it should be vastly improved over lcd.
    05-14-2017 10:39 PM
    Does anyone know if performance mode, brightness matters, in regards to VR?
    05-14-2017 11:35 PM
    Ok,well this is my first time messing with VR,and i wasnt sure. The manual said something about taking off a factory installed lens protector, but the only thing i saw was the plastic wrapped around the outside,nothing on the lenses themselves?
    05-15-2017 12:21 PM
    Does anyone know if performance mode, brightness matters, in regards to VR?
    I don't think performance mode matters but make sure your brightness is high enough to u can see clearly. I put mine more than halfway up when using VR
    05-15-2017 12:39 PM
    Yea I put mine on full lol. I only use VR about an hour a day usually.
    05-15-2017 01:44 PM
    Ok,well this is my first time messing with VR,and i wasnt sure. The manual said something about taking off a factory installed lens protector, but the only thing i saw was the plastic wrapped around the outside,nothing on the lenses themselves?
    I think that refers to the black cover on the front.
    05-15-2017 06:38 PM