I find DeX dock really useful--just gives an extra basic PC at home to make it easier to do things that I might pick up the phone to do.
    For travel, I don't know--guess it might be a help if you had some location you visited on a regular basis that you knew had a monitor waiting for you. But of course, for travel, a laptop version would be ideal (icing on the cake would be for it to run Windows).
    I remember seeing rumors that the Note 7 would offer that (based on a patent)--anyone know of renewed rumors for the Note 8? (Seems like the next logical step....)
    05-15-2017 06:54 AM
    I find DeX dock really useful--just gives an extra basic PC at home to make it easier to do things that I might pick up the phone to do.
    For travel, I don't know--guess it might be a help if you had some location you visited on a regular basis that you knew had a monitor waiting for you. But of course, for travel, a laptop version would be ideal (icing on the cake would be for it to run Windows).
    I remember seeing rumors that the Note 7 would offer that (based on a patent)--anyone know of renewed rumors for the Note 8? (Seems like the next logical step....)
    I saw someone else mention this and I guess I just don't see the point. If you're carrying a phone and a Dex with you anyway and you have to carry the laptop with you....What benefit is there for the phone to be what's powering the laptop?
    05-15-2017 07:45 AM
    I would imagine the benefit would be price and size and as the OP said, where can you travel where you know for sure there will be a wireless/BT mouse and keyboard waiting for you?

I think something simple, chromebook style, with built in DEX would be awesome at the right price. Hardly any internals needed so it could be thin and almost all battery - really just a screen/keyboard. USB-C connection would let it be used with future phones too. I'd pay $250 for that in a heartbeat over a cradle that still requires me to buy or swap monitor, keyboard and mouse.
    Jon44 likes this.
    05-15-2017 08:26 AM