Hi

I am thinking of the move from an iPhone to the S8, but I have a couple questions that I wanted to know if anyone would be able to help?

1. I love that when I take pictures on my iPhone they automatically sync to my iPad so I can view them on a bigger screen. I assume I wouldn't be able to do this with an S8 but what if I was to buy a samsung tablet, would this allow the S8 to automatically sync all my pictures to the tablet?

2. Sending emojis via text, if I was to send them to an iPhone would I be charged and are thy compatiable? (UK carrier is o2).

Thanks in advance.
    05-15-2017 02:49 PM
    1. Samsung Tablet won't help; using a reputable cloud service, such as Google Photos will accomplish that across iOS and Android seamlessly.
    2. Android and iOS both support emojis via sms and mms; not sure about the billing for your carrier though.
    05-15-2017 03:06 PM
    1. Yes you can sync with Samsung Cloud.

2. Emojis sent via text are exactly like sending a text. I send text with emojis all the time to iPhone's. Not every emoji is compatible but the great majority will be.

I have an iPhone 7 Plus and Galaxy 8+.
    Paul Ellis1 likes this.
    05-15-2017 03:10 PM
    1. The best method to sync your photos is via Google Photos. It's an app that does it automatically. Not only is it available for your phone, it's also available for your tablet and iOS devices. And, what's more, you can go into photos.google.com on any web browser on your PC or Mac to see them. Syncing is almost instantaneous.

2. Emojis are fine. Their appearance may be different in Android than in iOS, though.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-15-2017 03:16 PM
    What the others have said, Google Photos is your answer. I just took a vacation to Las Vegas and I had my iPhone and used it to photograph my whole trip and had it back up to google photos as I went, just in case I lost my phone. Upon coming up I bought the S8 which I honestly had no intentions of doing. Downloaded the Google Photos app and all photos are now accessible on it as well and any photos I take automatically gets uploaded and I can access them on my iPhone.

As for the second question, I have no clue how your carrier bills so I cannot answer.
    05-15-2017 05:11 PM
    Hi

I am thinking of the move from an iPhone to the S8, but I have a couple questions that I wanted to know if anyone would be able to help?

1. I love that when I take pictures on my iPhone they automatically sync to my iPad so I can view them on a bigger screen. I assume I wouldn't be able to do this with an S8 but what if I was to buy a samsung tablet, would this allow the S8 to automatically sync all my pictures to the tablet?

2. Sending emojis via text, if I was to send them to an iPhone would I be charged and are thy compatiable? (UK carrier is o2).

Thanks in advance.
    Google photos is amazing on any device.
    05-17-2017 07:41 AM
    x100 on Google photos. Most of the time you can hardly tell the photos are not on the device as the thumbnails render almost instantly.

As a die hard supporter of Andriod phones who started out with iPhones, the only area that Android still truly sucks is messaging.

IF you live in a world where most/all of your friends/colleagues have iPhones, sharing any media with them ranges from inconvenient to impossible. Depending on your carriers MMS limitations most photos are compressed and video doesn't even send half the time. In my experience, NO ONE with an iPhone has any interest in loading or using a whole other messaging app (WhatsApp, Facebook) just to get photos from the one person they know with an Android phone. Near as I can tell, most of the photo apps (including Google Photos) will share a link, but the user can't download unless they have an account. As much as I love Android, if you share photos of your kids, etc all the time think carefully about leaving iMessage.
    neil123456 likes this.
    05-17-2017 07:57 AM
    x100 on Google photos. Most of the time you can hardly tell the photos are not on the device as the thumbnails render almost instantly.

As a die hard supporter of Andriod phones who started out with iPhones, the only area that Android still truly sucks is messaging.

IF you live in a world where most/all of your friends/colleagues have iPhones, sharing any media with them ranges from inconvenient to impossible. Depending on your carriers MMS limitations most photos are compressed and video doesn't even send half the time. In my experience, NO ONE with an iPhone has any interest in loading or using a whole other messaging app (WhatsApp, Facebook) just to get photos from the one person they know with an Android phone. Near as I can tell, most of the photo apps (including Google Photos) will share a link, but the user can't download unless they have an account. As much as I love Android, if you share photos of your kids, etc all the time think carefully about leaving iMessage.
    I agree with most of the above except the idea of needing to install Whatsapp is somehow troublesome, I mean, as of Jan. 2017 Whatsapp had 1.2 billions active users so I think it's fair to say that is basically a default app for most smartphones out there, just like the SMS app.

Like I've mentioned before, even when I use iPhones as my daily driver and my whole family have iPhones, I always use Whatsapp to communicate with them, no iMessage except to play the new in app games.
    05-17-2017 10:55 AM
    I'll echo what everyone has said for photos.

Google Photos is what you should use on all your devices.

It's genuinely very assuring to know that whatever photos I shoot on my phone or photos transferred from my camera are all backed up automatically to Google Photos safely and that I can view them on any device.
    05-17-2017 10:58 AM
    So, I started using Google photos after I read this thread yesterday. It's great. My only question is whether or not there is a way to auto-delete the photos stored locally once they've been uploaded to Google photos?
    05-17-2017 12:00 PM
    So, I started using Google photos after I read this thread yesterday. It's great. My only question is whether or not there is a way to auto-delete the photos stored locally once they've been uploaded to Google photos?
    Go to your Photos App settings and you will see "free up device storage". I may be wrong but I think this is a manual process, I also may be wrong on this but I think that it asks you the first time you set it up to do the Free up device storage automatically. I can't really tell you for sure about the last one but you may try and let us know if it does.
    05-17-2017 12:39 PM
    Go to your Photos App settings and you will see "free up device storage".
    I'm aware of that. I'm just looking for a way to automatically delete the photo as soon as it gets uploaded to Google so I don't have to manually use that feature.
    05-17-2017 12:42 PM
    Go to your Photos App settings and you will see "free up device storage". I may be wrong but I think this is a manual process, I also may be wrong on this but I think that it asks you the first time you set it up to do the Free up device storage automatically. I can't really tell you for sure about the last one but you may try and let us know if it does.
    Yeah, it doesn't give you the option to automatically delete them 😐
    05-17-2017 12:44 PM
    I'm aware of that. I'm just looking for a way to automatically delete the photo as soon as it gets uploaded to Google so I don't have to manually use that feature.
    It seems that I edited the post while you were posting yours, I explained on my edit that I think that it asks you just that when you are setting the app the first time.

**Edit** - I just checked and I couldn't get it to ask me if I wanted to delete the photos automatically once they are backed up, I swear I've seen that before. So not, it seems that there is no setting for that just yet.
    krabkakes95 likes this.
    05-17-2017 12:44 PM
    Thanks for all the responses, iMessage will be the greatest loss for me, I also feel that the apps on apple just seem smoother, run better and more polished (no evidence just my opinion).

Its the decision if I sacrifice this for all the benefits of the S8 or an android phone, love the one handed mode, mutiscreen and the presonalisation of the S8 to name a few.
    05-17-2017 02:38 PM