My experience with spigen neo hybrid and caseology legion, medium well protection

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
So my initial case for my s8 was spigen's neo hybrid. I choose it because I particularly liked it on my g4 and I felt the glossy bumper would bring back some of the phones "shine" lost from the case. I generally felt it was alright and kept the phone pretty slim, but it was hard to ignore the fairly thin screen bumpers and the overall thin-ness didn't make the phone any easier to hold. I've fumbled the phone a number of times while reorienting in the hand when browsing the web in bed. It didn't help that for the past many years I have gotten used to the LG series curved phones which sat very nicely in the hand, it has been a while since I've used a flat phone and the edges actually hurt depending on how I held it.

I was considering the otterbox commuter since that was also a case I had for the Lg G4 and sure it was bulky, but it was awesome, but the $39 price was a major turn off so I just kept my eye out for some of the heavy protectors out there. The caseology series recently had a sale and when I saw the legion it seemed like it was right up my alley. In fact after ordering it I saw the review Flossy carter did on youtube and his sentiments was the same, great protection at the right price.

So after having it a couple days I have been pretty happy with it. The screen bumpers are well sized and firm, but better so the angled edges and the plastic backing made the phone much easier to hold. Gone are the glossy edges but the gunmetal plate has kind of grown on me. Now when I got the Legion and popped my phone in the first time it seemed to have some slack in the sides, like the phone was not snug. It didn't seem like the phone was going to fall out but it wasn't in tight like all my other cases have been. I chalked it up to a flaw in the design but everything else about it was great. However the next day I noticed the slack disappeared, I kinda doubt the tpu mold shrunk in anyway so apparently there was a pocket that I just wasn't getting the edges in.

So the neo hybrid turned out to be a bust in a number of ways and the legion seems to have covered all my bases for a medium high protection case just shy of the commuter and defender series. Those UAG cases also are probably very good but I think they are ugly as sin, and feeling all those ridges in the back..no thanks.

The neo hybrid and legion look more like its part of the phone while the UAG cases look like an armored brief case your phone is inside of.

bayouguy71

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
do you have any pictures.
I have the neo hybrid and the Incipio Dual Pro
Like the minimal feeling and the gunmetal of the Neo but like the perception of more protection of the Dual-Pro.

the Legion seems like it would be substantially bulkier from the pictures I have seen.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
do you have any pictures.
I have the neo hybrid and the Incipio Dual Pro
Like the minimal feeling and the gunmetal of the Neo but like the perception of more protection of the Dual-Pro.

the Legion seems like it would be substantially bulkier from the pictures I have seen.

I have the Legion. Looks much better in pics than real life. It probably would be fine, but I felt it didn't fit quite tight enough and I felt it wasn't grippy enough.

I kept it and may use it, but my main currently are OtterBox Defender, Supcase Unicorn Beetle Pro and a couple Spigen clear hybrid cases. The Legion will probably not get used actually lol.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I didn't think the legion was much of a looker to begin with, but like I said the gun metal is kinda growing on me. Also the plastic back is a nice quality and dark enough to look like metal even. I am happy with it's grip compared to the neo and naked by a lot, but I'm sure a more rubberized grip would be better.