05-19-2017 07:46 AM
62 123
tools
    I may be wrong simply because I've read about Google Lens just once but isn't this what Samsung Bixby is supposed to be doing natively on our phones? I'm just asking because it's funny to me reading all the comments at the end of that article I read of people praising this new technology from Google but the general consensus for Samsung's Bixby is pure hate for it. I know that the dedicated button plays big part for it, but people across the web has just declared Bixby a failure without even given it a fair try first.

I'm neutral right now, as I have used it a couple of times and it looks nice, obviously Samsung should have allowed 2 things, first, the button re-mapping for those that simply don't want to use it, and second, to be d*mn fully ready when the phone was released, but now with Google's announcement of their Lens technology I'm wondering if people will give Samsung a better chance to try their idea, after all, they released it first, well kind of...

For me I have little HATE for Bixby, it is that woul love to see those resources used elsewhere since Google Asistant already has most of those features. I used Bixby shopper a few times and it just doesn't work well.
    05-18-2017 08:09 AM
    Great review, OP. I agree with you about the battery - well, everything you've written, actually. Samsung truly did an amazing job this year. And yes, the design is gorgeous. It seems manufacturers like Samsung, Honor, LG, and HTC are really starting to pull out awesome colours and design language to satisfy their customers.

I wish the S8 wasn't so expensive (though I definitely understand why - it's a beast!)... As it would have been in the running for my next phone. However, I definitely think the S8/+ are amazing phones with super potential.
    05-18-2017 08:13 AM
    S Voice was based of Vlingo. But basically, Samsung presented at the S8 release a phone with a Bixby that looked more complete than it really was... they even dedicated a button on the phone for it before it was ready. People say it's half baked... but if you look at the presentation of features and what it really does... it's less than half baked. I don't even know if you can really say it's really in Beta more than Alpha lol.

It's selling a package of goods that is not there and dedicating so much real estate and pushing options like Google Assistant to the side that's probably irritated people.

I like the S8... but the S8 is kinda half baked. No argument the S8 is still one of the best phones this year so far... but it's half baked.

You look at pictures of S8 prototypes... dual camera set up and the fact they went single and had to scrub the under glass FPS and put the FPS next to the single camera... and on top of that stuff like Bixby not even fully functional... IMO, the S9 will probably be the phone Samsung wanted to bring out in the S8. But it is what it is.

S Voice was and is still an aberration, basically the first thing I disabled in all my previous Galaxy phones. BUT like I said, that was Samsung's idea, Bixby comes from a company created just for this, and on that area 5 years is a lot of time to have developed a great product, good enough that even when it was never released Samsung just bought it after a Demonstration.

One more thing, as in all AI, it gets better after some time as it goes learning from you all the time, the more you use it, the best it gets, as of now that doesn't even count as we are simply using a half baked app, hence why I'm saying that I'll wait for it to be fully functional to decide if it's indeed a great tool or simply another failure from Samsung on the AI field.
    05-18-2017 08:19 AM
    It was a miscalculation to even put Bixby on the S8 unfinished. Samsung opened themselves up for criticism knowing it wouldn't be ready. It should have debuted on the Note, and the quick launch button should have been remappable and then updated in the fall with a fully functional Bixby.

And it's not just Samsung. Google screwed up Allo messaging as well. But at least Allow was a choice feature.

And we knew people would be foaming at the mouth to bash Bixby because it's Samsung. They shouldn't have made it so easy.

All in all though, this phone is so good it almost transcends Bixby.
    05-18-2017 08:33 AM
    Even though, Samsung slapped on a button for Bixby that's not really fully functional... it was timely they did it and instead of a useless button they should take advantage of their timing and make it a positive...

New Blackberry is out and they have a fully user programmable button on the phone... The HTC U11 has the pressure sensitive sensors on the side of the frame that's sounds practically fully programmable; squeeze the sides and you can program it to bring up camera, or bring up flashlight (great idea for when in dark and need light just squeeze) or probably program any app you want.

The S8 came out before all those and put in a dedicated button... they should push an update to make it programmable...

single click camera... double click flashlight... triple click voice recorder for jotting notes!
    05-18-2017 08:35 AM
    You can use the Amazon app... since it's basically based off that.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/201...by-amazon.html

For me I have little HATE for Bixby, it is that woul love to see those resources used elsewhere since Google Asistant already has most of those features. I used Bixby shopper a few times and it just doesn't work well.
    05-18-2017 09:02 AM
    To insert a contrarian voice to the argument--I'm skeptical about the whole premise of AI. Much of the capability seems like it'd only be a help to someone with cognitive impairments (seriously).

The Google Lens promo shows taking an image of a storefront and having Google tell you what store it is and then linking to their reviews of it, etc. Most people can identify the name of the store by looking at it and then might have some personal agenda to pursue after doing so (and for most people, reading a bunch of fake reviews off the internet isn't top on the list).

In sum, much of AI is predicated on this idealized vision of a hyper-efficient, automated existence that just doesn't correspond to messy realities of the real world. (But I was also a naysayer with Google Glass and, of course, it's now impossible to imagine our modern society functioning without it.)
    05-18-2017 09:08 AM
    AI is as inevitable as the smartphone itself. Someone will eventually nail it.
    05-18-2017 09:35 AM
    To insert a contrarian voice to the argument--I'm skeptical about the whole premise of AI. Much of the capability seems like it'd be a help to someone with cognitive impairments (seriously). The Google Lens promo shows taking an image of a storefront and having Google tell you what store it is and then linking to their reviews of it, etc. Most people can identify the name of the store by looking at it and then might have some personal agenda to pursue after doing so (and for most people, reading a bunch of fake reviews off the internet isn't top on the list).
    In sum, much of AI is predicated on this idealized vision of a hyper-efficient, automated existence that just doesn't correspond to messy realities of how people live their lives.
    While AI may not be extremely helpful today, using the current AI products is helping develop AI that will be used in the not so far future.
    05-18-2017 09:38 AM
    For now that's the only working feature and some cards, but since it was announced it shows great potential on basically every function of the phone, potential to be a great all around integration. As it is, there is nothing we haven't done before, that's true, but my comments were about what was announced for, all those little neat features that I would love to try first and then decide if it's just a failure or the next big thing.
    Bixby button doesn't bother me. I don't use the Bixby cards neither do I use Google assistant. I do use the Bixby camera features. I know they have a long way to go before it is ready but I love it. Looking forward to future improvements. I'm just glad that Samsung included the button so when the new features are available I would have the choice to try it out on my current s8+ whether than having to purchase a new phone to get it and then find out Bixby is crap. Isn't this what upset people in the past? Now you have a company not making you purchase a new phone for new features and people are still upset.
    Jon44 likes this.
    05-18-2017 11:37 AM
    Well, I really hope Bixby turns out to be good, because right now, I am pretty unimpressed.

That doesn't apply to the phone itself, though. The S8 is great.
    05-18-2017 11:52 AM
    I agree with all your point except for battery. Under normal have battery life is amazing but standby time is very poor
    That's funny , because my standby time is amazing. I work part time at Walmart, and I'll get to work with 100 percent, and pull my phone out of my pocket 2 hours later and still be at 99 or 98 percent. I've had the phone since release date..
    05-19-2017 07:46 AM
62 123