Struggling with the finger print sensor.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Anyone else struggling with this finger print sensor? It works great but just having a hard time retraining myself to use it. I found the iris scanner to be useless for me as I wear glasses and it just doesn't work well. During the work day I have smart lock paired with my Gear S3 and my Bluetooth and it works fine, but when I don't have them with me I find myself just typing in my 4 digit code. I have the S8 Plus and wondering if I would use it more on the S8 as it's a bit easier to reach.

gregg6942

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else struggling with this finger print sensor? It works great but just having a hard time retraining myself to use it. I found the iris scanner to be useless for me as I wear glasses and it just doesn't work well. During the work day I have smart lock paired with my Gear S3 and my Bluetooth and it works fine, but when I don't have them with me I find myself just typing in my 4 digit code. I have the S8 Plus and wondering if I would use it more on the S8 as it's a bit easier to reach.

I've had no problem finding the fingerprint sensor on my S8+ and now that I have a case on it, it's even easier. I have glasses & no problems with the iris sensor, just push them down slightly & voila, it works.
I think people are making too big of a fuss about this placement of the sensor, I just read a review and this was the biggest "problem" they found , and they just kept going on & on about it.
I hope you'll try them both again, it might take a bit to get used to, but once you do ,you'll see how easy & useful they both are & you'll be able to keep your phone safe from prying eyes....good luck!

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the placement bugged me too until I got a case. I also found that it sometimes doesn't work to wake up the phone if it's already unlocked like how it does on the V20, G6, Pixel, etc. So I've worked around this by setting the device to lock instantly when the screen times out or if the power button is pressed to turn it off.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Give it time.

In the meantime carry small microfiber with you if you care about the pics you take since the lense will be smudge up. LOL

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
It's gotta be my glasses, they are prescription and a bit smaller and very old, I'm way over due for new glasses. I retrained the iris data without them and it works a lot better. Still missing the sensor in the front. Took the wife's car to dinner and I drove, put the S8+ in the cradle, no gear s3 or blue tooth for smart lock so I had to take it out of the cradle to unlock it. How do you unlock it in the cradle while driving?

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to get used to it... but I still think the placement on my old Nexus 6P was much better.
It's not the end of the world though, and this is really the ONLY negative thing I've found on the S8 so far. Everything else has been working pretty great!

krabkakes95

May 15, 2017
Visit site
I'm receiving my SG8 tomorrow AM so I don't have one in my hand yet. Out of curiosity, to the people who dislike the placement of the figerprint scanner, have you used a SG8 or is this only really an issue on the larger model?

krabkakes95

May 15, 2017
Visit site
How do you unlock it in the cradle while driving?

Maybe I'm just weird because I've never had a phone with a figerprint scanner but unlocking a phone with a PIN every once in a while really doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me...

With that said, I agree that the fingerprint scanner should've been placed behind the screen.

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm just weird because I've never had a phone with a figerprint scanner but unlocking a phone with a PIN every once in a while really doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me...

With that said, I agree that the fingerprint scanner should've been placed behind the screen.

It's not a huge deal... but once you get used to the FPS, then it feels like a hassle falling back on the PIN.

As far as unlocking the phone while driving. At least for me, my phone always connects to my car's bluetooth once the car turns on. You can turn on Smart Lock and add your cars bluetooth device as a Trusted Device. So every time you're in your car, the phone's bluetooth will be connected, and your phone will stay unlocked and you don't have to mess with the FPS or a PIN while driving.

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
For people complaining about the sensor - there is a reason for where it is located. Originally, Samsung was going to use a fingerprint sensor under the front screen, but they couldn't get it working in time so it was placed in back next to the camera (where it wouldn't interfere with wireless charging and NFC).

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/03/1...snt-feature-an-integrated-fingerprint-sensor/

I wish AC would make a sticky post with this info, since there are constant complaints about it.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
It's gotta be my glasses, they are prescription and a bit smaller and very old, I'm way over due for new glasses. I retrained the iris data without them and it works a lot better. Still missing the sensor in the front. Took the wife's car to dinner and I drove, put the S8+ in the cradle, no gear s3 or blue tooth for smart lock so I had to take it out of the cradle to unlock it. How do you unlock it in the cradle while driving?

Iris

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I hate it. I used to use it so much, but I only use it for those apps where I can login with it (ADP, PayPal, Samsung Pay, the Progressive app). Otherwise , I never use it to unlock my phone. It's just not placed right. It might be better if it was lower, but even with the Otterbox Defender on it, I still can't get my finger placed properly.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I like the FPS and have no issues, I'm sure a case helps as I had one on since day one. Give it some time, unless you use the phone in your left hand then it will probably be an issue.

I use smart unlock with my Bluetooth headset for in my car dock. If you don't have anything that works with smart lock, use a simple pattern with pattern lock.

dpadams6

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
I've had no problem finding the fingerprint sensor on my S8+ and now that I have a case on it, it's even easier. I have glasses & no problems with the iris sensor, just push them down slightly & voila, it works.
I think people are making too big of a fuss about this placement of the sensor, I just read a review and this was the biggest "problem" they found , and they just kept going on & on about it.
I hope you'll try them both again, it might take a bit to get used to, but once you do ,you'll see how easy & useful they both are & you'll be able to keep your phone safe from prying eyes....good luck!
Exactly... Where do people think it would work better? Is there an ideal place, other then where it's at?

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I honestly don't have any issues whatsoever with the fingerprint sensor. Ever since minute 1 of owning it, I got used to it and have never once touched the camera. It's axctually the fastest fingerprint sensor I have ever used on a phone. It's better than the S7 Edge. I actually prefer it where it is. I don't like the placement that LG has. That's too low for me I feel like I would constantly be touching it when using the phone. I'm glad Samsung did what they did. It's something different than the other phone companies. They actually do something innovative unlike certain companies *cough* Apple *cough* lol all in all, I like the placement and it works really well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech