Struggling with the finger print sensor.

krabkakes95

May 15, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, because that's a great idea.

*Driving down the road*
*Phone beeps, indicating a text message*
*Needs to unlock phone, looks down at phone while trying to align eyes properly*
*Bang, boom, roll over, dead babies and stuff*

Please don't Iris scan and drive... That sounds worse than texting and driving. At least some people can text without taking their eyes off the road.

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
It's gotta be my glasses, they are prescription and a bit smaller and very old, I'm way over due for new glasses. I retrained the iris data without them and it works a lot better. Still missing the sensor in the front. Took the wife's car to dinner and I drove, put the S8+ in the cradle, no gear s3 or blue tooth for smart lock so I had to take it out of the cradle to unlock it. How do you unlock it in the cradle while driving?
If your car has Bluetooth, then use Smart Lock to make an exception to keep the phone unlocked while it's paired with the car. Then all you'll have to do is swipe the screen.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I didn't start this thread to bash on he placement, it is what it is, it works well. On a Samsung device if it's not on the home button on the front it's different and you need to retrain your brain now that it's now on the back. Maybe it's a male thing but I keep forgetting which side it's on of the camera, if I flip it over it's on the right, with it facing me it's on the left, I know I know I'm easily confused.

Last night laying in bed while the wife watched TV I played with the iris sensor with no glasses on, retrained the iris and in the dark with my eyes half asleep that thing work every time, sometimes so fast I didn't think it even locked to begin with. So now I know it's my glasses and it's time to get some new ones and see if it helps. I'm already thinking of "what frames would work better for the iris sensor".

jhnnyblze2000

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I definitely had an issue with it on the regular s8, not sure why but since I exchanged that for the s8+ I find it much easier on the plus version.

gregg6942

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
It's gotta be my glasses, they are prescription and a bit smaller and very old, I'm way over due for new glasses. I retrained the iris data without them and it works a lot better. Still missing the sensor in the front. Took the wife's car to dinner and I drove, put the S8+ in the cradle, no gear s3 or blue tooth for smart lock so I had to take it out of the cradle to unlock it. How do you unlock it in the cradle while driving?

I don't unlock it while driving down the road. I use a car dock that keeps it from going to sleep, as long as it is on the "home" screen of the app. I found this out the hard way last trip I took. I had Google music open trying to find an album to play but traffic was getting bad so I clicked on a "radio" thing for Nickleback and it was okay for awhile but then I wanted to listen to something else. Well, the phone had went to sleep since I had left it on the google music page & there was no way to unlock it. So for the next couple of hours all I could listen to was Nickleback, Nickleback, and more Nickleback...finally ,I pulled into a rest area & fixed it. I now always make sure the phone is on the dock app's home , ALWAYS

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
For people complaining about the sensor - there is a reason for where it is located. Originally, Samsung was going to use a fingerprint sensor under the front screen, but they couldn't get it working in time so it was placed in back next to the camera (where it wouldn't interfere with wireless charging and NFC).

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/03/1...snt-feature-an-integrated-fingerprint-sensor/

I wish AC would make a sticky post with this info, since there are constant complaints about it.

Unfortunately I have read that reason, and that makes it feel even more half-assed. The phone is nearly perfect, except for this (and the Bixby button for a lot of people). Of course, no phone is ever perfect for everyone. You've just gotta see what you can live with a couple years. I've pretty much gotten used to it now, but I still think the placement that my old Nexus 6P had was better (centered and below the camera, easier to reach and you'll never accidentally smudge the camera).

Also if rumors are true, it will be pretty annoying if the next Samsung flagship, the Note 8, will have FPS under the front screen because it will feel like we got cheated out of the better feature/design.

krabkakes95

May 15, 2017
Visit site
I got my s8 today. I have relatively small hands for a grown man and I have no issue hitting the fingerprint scanner. To prevent smudging the camera, I am training myself to put my finger to the left of the scanner and then slide right until my finger covers it. I do have to shift the phone in my hand but it's really not a big deal. As far as I'm concerned, if bixby and the FPS are the only points of complaint, Samsung did well. If Samsung releases the update with bixby voice soon (I saw a YouTube video that said it's supposed to be released a month after the phone hit the market?) then the phone would be almost perfect. I almost want to say people shouldn't complain about the FPS location but keep complaining as it will force Samsung to produce an even better product next year 😂😂

With that said, I understand how a s8+ could be extremely awkward.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately I have read that reason, and that makes it feel even more half-assed. The phone is nearly perfect, except for this (and the Bixby button for a lot of people). Of course, no phone is ever perfect for everyone. You've just gotta see what you can live with a couple years. I've pretty much gotten used to it now, but I still think the placement that my old Nexus 6P had was better (centered and below the camera, easier to reach and you'll never accidentally smudge the camera).

Also if rumors are true, it will be pretty annoying if the next Samsung flagship, the Note 8, will have FPS under the front screen because it will feel like we got cheated out of the better feature/design.

Not to mention the dual-camera that was supposed to go on the s8/s8+ which had to be scrapped because of the last minute FPS placement. so its a pretty good bet the note 8 will also have the upgraded camera.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
To be honest I've had some issues with the fps but it's easier with a case, without a case I often have to turn the phone around to make my finger is in the right spot, hopefully I'll get even more used to this

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I actually prefer it in the back but of course in a better location. Everyone is different. To me It's just more natural to place your finger on back as you pick up your device to unlock it. Using the thumb in the front is not a big deal just not my preference. Then there's the argument of well what if you want to just unlock your device while on the table to see your notifications? Well for me if I'm going to look at what my notifications are and I see that in my always on display that it's a message I'm typically going interact with it in some way and I'll have to pick up my device regardless.

Wolvansd

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
I have found the fingerprint sensor to be great and once I got use to it (and the case helps a lot on finger placement, even my thin spigen TPU case). It is nearly instant. (8+)

Somebody above says it doesn't waken the phone when its not locked? That is not true for me. I use smartlock at home and when connected to my bluetooth in the car to keep it unlocked at those location. I still use the fingerprint scanner to wake the phone all time at home. Its just faster than any other method.

I keep the phone in my front left pocket, so when I reach my hand in to grab it, my finger goes to the back and its unlocked by the time I pull the phone up in front of me to look at it. I have the iris scanner and pin lock also enabled, but honestly I use the fingerprint scanner 99% of the time. My wife has a S6, and the finger print scanner on the S8 just blows it away with the speed and accuracy for the unlock.

B Hoste

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The finger print scanner is in a perfect spot for the way I hold my phone, my finger lays right on it. The facial recognition and iris scanner work in the right light and in most cases very quick too.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The fingerprint sensor is in the worst place imaginable. Samsung should have halted production of the phone until they could get the fingerprint sensor right.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Dislike it. Hate it. Placement is really annoying, the shape of it is really annoying as well. With circle sensors, I can place my finger on it at any angle and it will read. Either his vertical oblong shape i need to hold my finger straight up in order for it to read.

Using the sensor should really be seamless to unlock the phone, being able to unlock it without thinking about it. With so many people complaining about it, and having to think and see whether this time it works or not, really equates to an awful fingerprint sensor.

Luckily for me the Iris scanner works well for me, so I pretty much use that to unlock the phone. Doesn't solve the issues though with using the fingerprint sensor to login to some apps.