I love this phone, and I love the new features and and changes to the UI. with that said, those things I really like about it are taking time to get used to. There's still that slight hesitation on the home screen while I look for the app drawer icon, before swiping up. I used to wake my phone by pressing the home key; I know you can do the same by pressing where the home softkey would be, and I use that feature too, but the phone is so symmetrical sometimes that I try unlocking it from the wrong end . I think if getting used to the sane way I think of getting use to the channel lineup in a new city: it takes time to adjust to NBC being on channel 4 instead of 12.

Anyone else having similar issues adjusting to the changes? If you do, what the change that throws you off most?
    05-15-2017 11:38 PM
    With previous phones, I liked being able to double click the home button to launch the camera. Now it's the side power button. It works OK, but I don't like it as much as the home button. I also hate the Bixby button. I don't like Bixby, therefore I don't like having a physical button on the phone I can't really use
    05-16-2017 12:50 AM
    With previous phones, I liked being able to double click the home button to launch the camera. Now it's the side power button. It works OK, but I don't like it as much as the home button. I also hate the Bixby button. I don't like Bixby, therefore I don't like having a physical button on the phone I can't really use
    Check out Bixby button remapper. I tried it. It works, I just couldn't decide what to map it to so I uninstalled it.
    Qc_Anubis likes this.
    05-16-2017 12:58 AM
    Am also getting used to the S8. I used to have an S2 WAY back when... and my previous couple phones have been Nexus phones so it definitely took a bit to get used to the changes. Samsung's Touchwiz is much better than it used to be.

Still I find that I have to uninstall or hide a good amount of Samsung and carrier bloat that I'll never use.
    As for the app drawer change, I ended up installing Google's launcher to get back the app drawer button and also swiping left gets Google Now back instead of Bixby.

As for the Bixby button... totally agreed. I wish Samsung would just let us change it. It would be great to have a custom button to launch the camera, flashlight, whatever we want... but they really want to promote Bixby. Kind of a missed opportunity. There are many apps out that will remap it but they're all still in beta so it's not going to work perfectly. Maybe down the line there can be a more stable fix for it.
    Whiskey619 likes this.
    05-16-2017 01:01 AM
    As for the app drawer change, I ended up installing Google's launcher to get back the app drawer button
    I saw someone on YouTube turn on the app drawer button with a setting. It didn't require any launcher changes.

It was on the home screen settings.
    05-16-2017 01:17 AM
    I saw someone on YouTube turn on the app drawer button with a setting. It didn't require any launcher changes.

It was on the home screen settings.
    I found that setting, but I decided not to use it. I actually like the slide up for app drawer method, and want to make the adjustment. It's just taking time to get used to it without hesitating.
    krabkakes95 likes this.
    05-16-2017 01:21 AM
    My biggest "adjustment" with the S8 Plus is the damn finger print sensor on the back, works great just have to retrain my brain that it's on the back now, which side is it on again?
    Whiskey619 likes this.
    05-16-2017 09:35 AM
    I found that setting, but I decided not to use it. I actually like the slide up for app drawer method, and want to make the adjustment. It's just taking time to get used to it without hesitating.
    The less icons the better. I hate the look of an iPhone.
    05-16-2017 10:48 AM
    Another thing to get used to came up today. I went to plug my phone in and automatically checked if I had the plug oriented in the right direction, and realized I didn't need to do that anymore.
    05-17-2017 08:00 PM
    The fingerprint button location is my only issue. Really difficult when you have a wallet case on it. So I use the Iris and smart unlock. Other than that, one of the best phones I've ever had!
    05-17-2017 08:04 PM
    I love this phone, and I love the new features and and changes to the UI. with that said, those things I really like about it are taking time to get used to. There's still that slight hesitation on the home screen while I look for the app drawer icon, before swiping up. I used to wake my phone by pressing the home key; I know you can do the same by pressing where the home softkey would be, and I use that feature too, but the phone is so symmetrical sometimes that I try unlocking it from the wrong end . I think if getting used to the sane way I think of getting use to the channel lineup in a new city: it takes time to adjust to NBC being on channel 4 instead of 12.

Anyone else having similar issues adjusting to the changes? If you do, what the change that throws you off most?
    Yeah, I'm coming from the S6 and it's like I'm using a totally different brand phone. It has a familiarity Samsung is known for but I still find myself doing things I used to do on the S6 that I can't do on this phone such as taking a snapshot of the screen. But, so far, it is worth the bit of adjustment.

J
    05-18-2017 09:51 AM
    I'm used to a lot of the changes that the S8 has with the camera shortcut and Google assistant on the home button by a long press because my old Nexus 6P.
    05-18-2017 10:21 AM
    Yeah, I'm coming from the S6 and it's like I'm using a totally different brand phone. It has a familiarity Samsung is known for but I still find myself doing things I used to do on the S6 that I can't do on this phone such as taking a snapshot of the screen. But, so far, it is worth the bit of adjustment.

J
    So what you are saying is that you can't take a screenshot, is that right?

Just in case, you have the same 2 options you had before, one by pressing buttons and the other by swiping across the screen, the only difference is that because it doesn't have a physical home button now you need to press Power button and Volume down button for about 1 second and it will work. The other is a feature you have to turn on, just go to Settings-Advances features and it's called Palm Swipe to capture.
    krabkakes95 likes this.
    05-18-2017 10:31 AM
    So what you are saying is that you can't take a screenshot, is that right?

Just in case, you have the same 2 options you had before, one by pressing buttons and the other by swiping across the screen, the only difference is that because it doesn't have a physical home button now you need to press Power button and Volume down button for about 1 second and it will work. The other is a feature you have to turn on, just go to Settings-Advances features and it's called Palm Swipe to capture.
    You can also use the edge screenshot system to take smaller snippets.
    Whiskey619 likes this.
    05-18-2017 11:18 AM
    You can also use the edge screenshot system to take smaller snippets.
    Now that is cool, didn't know about that one.
    krabkakes95 likes this.
    05-18-2017 12:09 PM