I have been using the iFi DAC with many android devices including Note 7 without any issue. I am having trouble getting S8 to work with the ext DAC. Has anyone tried with any ext DAC? Did it work? I tried to configure USB to different settings without any luck. I appreciated any suggestion. Thanks.
    05-16-2017 09:03 AM
    I haven't tried it yet as a buddy has mine but what model are you using and have you tried to update the firmware?
    05-16-2017 09:29 AM
    My JDS Labs ODAC works with my Verizon S8 without changing any settings. Just plugs in and works. This isn't something I'm going to ever use, but I did test it, and it does work.

The phone itself, a Verizon Snapdragon S8, works fine in my opinion with normal easy to power headphones like most in ear monitors, and low impedance, somewhat sensitive over the ear models like the ATH-M50x, and Brainwavz HM5. Harder to drive headphones like a Sennheiser HD650, or AKG Q701 deserve more power.

My last phone was an LG V10 that has ESS Sabre DAC and amplifier chips inside. The S8 doesn't have the same kind of power, but in terms of actual sound quality the S8 is 95% as good. What I do like is the system wide EQ that the S8 offers. With a small amount of EQ I can actually stand to listen to the supplied AKG earphones and my ATH-M50x. I find that most headphones either has a little too much bass, or need a small bass boost. It's very hard for me to find anything with the exact balance I prefer. So this is a big help. My HD650 with my desktop amp and DAC is just about perfect, but for on the go the S8 is just fine with me.
    05-16-2017 09:40 AM
    Please, what's "iFi DAC" and "ODAC?"
    05-16-2017 09:51 AM
    Google search JDS Labs ODAC. It's a DAC that is USB powered. It's a budget unit, but is really quite good. Not really meant to be used as a portable solution, more of a unit that would be meant to be used with a desktop headphone amp or full stereo system at home. It just happens to work with pretty much everything because it doesn't need any special software drivers. It's plug and play with pretty much everything.
    05-16-2017 09:55 AM
    From what I've been reading on head-fi is that it always seems hit or miss on what DAC's will work on Android phones. Some units will work, and some won't, even if they claim to support Android. Best advice would be to look for a model that someone else has confirmed to work with the S8.

You also need to make sure you're using an actual OTG cable or OTG dongle to adapt from USB C to whatever the input on the DAC is. I don't think the USB c to micro USB adapter supplied with the S8 is OTG, but the USB c to full size USB does support OTG.
    05-16-2017 09:57 AM
    To the OP, what headphones are you trying to use with the S8 that don't get loud enough?
    05-16-2017 10:02 AM
    For reference I have a set of ATH M30 headphones from Audio Technica. Impedence is around 60 if memory serves. I remember it was just high enough to trigger preamp in my V10 ( it kicks in over 50ohms). On my S8 I can drive those headphones fine but the volume slider doesn't have much headroom above it. I would think headphones with impedence over 75ohms or so wouldn't​ get loud enough
    05-16-2017 11:30 AM
    For reference I have a set of ATH M30 headphones from Audio Technica. Impedence is around 60 if memory serves. I remember it was just high enough to trigger preamp in my V10 ( it kicks in over 50ohms). On my S8 I can drive those headphones fine but the volume slider doesn't have much headroom above it. I would think headphones with impedence over 75ohms or so wouldn't​ get loud enough
    Also depends on sensitivity as well. It's not just about impedance. Also my S8 gets my HD650 and Q701 loud enough on most tracks, but it's at it's limits and my desktop headphone rig sounds much better.
    05-16-2017 12:01 PM
    I have both black label iFi iDSD and the silver version. Neither are working with S8+. They work with Mate 9, Note 7, and pretty much all other Android devices I have had.
    05-17-2017 05:45 AM
    To the OP, what headphones are you trying to use with the S8 that don't get loud enough?
    It is not so much about the headphone, it is a better DAC and amp. Yes, I have few full size headphone to use with.
    05-17-2017 05:48 AM
    From what I've been reading on head-fi is that it always seems hit or miss on what DAC's will work on Android phones. Some units will work, and some won't, even if they claim to support Android. Best advice would be to look for a model that someone else has confirmed to work with the S8.

You also need to make sure you're using an actual OTG cable or OTG dongle to adapt from USB C to whatever the input on the DAC is. I don't think the USB c to micro USB adapter supplied with the S8 is OTG, but the USB c to full size USB does support OTG.
    It is the same cable I use with other Android devices that work with out issue. It might very well be a S8 and iFi combo.
    05-17-2017 05:50 AM
    Have you enabled developer mode and tried the different USB options? I am guessing one of these may work
    05-17-2017 10:47 PM
    How about try USB Audio Player Pro, that works for me
    05-18-2017 01:22 AM
    I too am interested in an external DAC to use with my S8+. I hope people continue to post their experiences.
    05-20-2017 12:32 PM
    So, I recently traveled overseas with my new S8+. I've been quite happy with my HD700 and Oppo HA-2SE combo, but quickly discovered on the plane that using the Micro USB->USB-C adapter was not working. The S8+ did OK, but I didn't buy HD700s for the "OK" experience.

When I returned from vacation, I found a nice, inexpensive Micro USB->USB-C cable on Amazon. It arrived today. With some tinkering in the Developer options menu I found this option:

S8 and external DAC via USB?-screenshot_smartselect_2017-06-15-15-10-52.png

After setting USB configuration to 'Audio source' I am happy to report that I am now getting audio out via my HA-2SE!

I'm sure your mileage may vary depending on the brand/model of DAC your using, but I hope this helps someone.
    tryzub and fabsy like this.
    06-15-2017 04:18 PM
    I can confirm this didn't work for my ifi iDSD BL + S8+ combo. I might try the Oppo next. It's a mobile solution that's more "mobile" anyway. I had hoped to use the ifi as a desktop/mobile solution. It works great with my MacBook Pro.

I have been using the iFi DAC with many android devices including Note 7 without any issue. I am having trouble getting S8 to work with the ext DAC. Has anyone tried with any ext DAC? Did it work? I tried to configure USB to different settings without any luck. I appreciated any suggestion. Thanks.
    I'm getting static in my cans with this combo. Is that what you heard, too? Did you get it working either way?
    08-14-2017 10:00 AM
    I also have a Galaxy S8+ and an iFi Nano iDSD and when I use it I get static sound in my cans. To those that got it working, care to share the secret sauce?
    09-08-2017 03:01 PM
    My Dragonfly Black is working well on my S8 as is my Cambridge DacMagic XS. I'm using the Onkyo HF Player.
    09-08-2017 06:18 PM
    Anyone tried the mojo?also when you guys say it works, you mean all sounds go through the dac or only usibg UAPP and poweeamp?does spotify work?
    09-08-2017 06:53 PM
    Using UAPP works but everything else is static. I want to hear from the people that have it working without UAPP.
    09-09-2017 03:36 PM
    Using UAPP works but everything else is static. I want to hear from the people that have it working without UAPP.
    No one has it working without UAPP as android upsamples all the audio ot creates crackling and pops in tracks :/ shameful really. I hate being stuck to using only my library or tidal. Spotify should allow usb dac playback
    09-10-2017 07:17 AM
    That's what I thought, it works fine with my HTC 10 though, so I'll carry my HTC 10 as my media player.
    09-10-2017 12:52 PM
    Hi. Very helpful thread. I have a Roland Duo-Capture EX which connects to the Sansung S8 OTG USB3 adaptor and gives a USB 'green light' (it's running on its own battery power, not drawing from the phone USB) but I can't find any settings on the phone that will allow it to be recognised as an audio source. I have tried the developer option usb as audio source, but nothing. I'm using the Cinema FV-5 app which defaults to the phone mic, despite being set to external mic. From the other responses, looks like this isn't going to work, owing to S8 USB audio issues.
    10-24-2017 04:59 AM