Any way to remove NFC and alarm clock from status bar without root?

alexcapone

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I keep the NFC and alarm clock on all the time and don't need to be reminded that they are on in the status bar. Is there any way to remove these icons without rooting or using an overlay status bar? I was hoping for an app that could provide a solution.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's a 'nope' on the NFC, and a 'it depends' on the alarm clock icons (yeah, they bother me too!).

The alarm clock will only go away if you use a 3rd party alarm app that doesn't show pop it up there. However, if they do that, they're not registered as alarm events, so having DND mode on might make you miss the alarm.

Whiskey619

May 14, 2017
Visit site
You can install shortcutter, which lets you toggle in and out of immersive mode and add other settings to your drop down settings, which will hide the whole bar. You just have to run an adb command with your computer to enable the toggle.

Just curious, what do you use NFC for? I've always kept it off, because I never had a use for it. If you think its so useful you need to keep it on all the time, it makes me wonder what I'm missing out on.

alexcapone

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
You can install shortcutter, which lets you toggle in and out of immersive mode and add other settings to your drop down settings, which will hide the whole bar. You just have to run an adb command with your computer to enable the toggle.

Just curious, what do you use NFC for? I've always kept it off, because I never had a use for it. If you think its so useful you need to keep it on all the time, it makes me wonder what I'm missing out on.

Will start using Samsung pay once I get all my cards set up in the app

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Android pay is my number one use for NFC followed by pairing​ Bt devices

I never turn on my NFC and I have never had a problem pairing any Bluetooth devices, and I have about 5 right now paired to the phone, so am I missing something here?

About Android Pay yes, that's a most, but that's why Samsung Pay is so good, obviously if you have a participant bank and card then it makes no sense to use Android Pay over Samsung Pay because SP will work wherever Android Pay works on those NFC tap and pay terminals in addition to the rest (most of them really) of regular magnetic stripe readers. It even turns NFC on temporarily when needed if it turns off, great little feature. I can't forget to mention the Samsung Rewards program and the new deals you can get from tons of merchants online and in Stores.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I never turn on my NFC and I have never had a problem pairing any Bluetooth devices, and I have about 5 right now paired to the phone, so am I missing something here?

About Android Pay yes, that's a most, but that's why Samsung Pay is so good, obviously if you have a participant bank and card then it makes no sense to use Android Pay over Samsung Pay because SP will work wherever Android Pay works on those NFC tap and pay terminals in addition to the rest (most of them really) of regular magnetic stripe readers. It even turns NFC on temporarily when needed if it turns off, great little feature. I can't forget to mention the Samsung Rewards program and the new deals you can get from tons of merchants online and in Stores.

You're not. Some devices have NFC tags that just speed up the pairing process. Instead of searching for the device and entering the pairing code, the NFC tag does it for you. Tap. Let it do its thing. Done. The actual connection, however, is still done through BT or WiFi (depending on the device).

But if you don't have NFC enabled, then the device still works as usual, you just have to manually pair/connect to it.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
You're not. Some devices have NFC tags that just speed up the pairing process. Instead of searching for the device and entering the pairing code, the NFC tag does it for you. Tap. Let it do its thing. Done. The actual connection, however, is still done through BT or WiFi (depending on the device).

But if you don't have NFC enabled, then the device still works as usual, you just have to manually pair/connect to it.

That's what I thought, I mean the pairing process is one, but just wanted to be sure as the OP sounds as if this is a MUST in order to pair the BT device.

Thanks.

alexcapone

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks guys. I will try turning off NFC when I start using Samsung Pay. That will reduce a little bit of clutter on the notification bar. I still wish we had a little more control over what icons were displayed in the notification bar.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. I will try turning off NFC when I start using Samsung Pay. That will reduce a little bit of clutter on the notification bar. I still wish we had a little more control over what icons were displayed in the notification bar.
Amen. Would also be nice to get rid of the AM/PM from the clock. I have yet to be confused if it's AM or PM regardless of indicator. :)

And no need for the battery icon, if the % is shown.

On the other hand, BT symbol can definitely be bigger/clear when connected.
That's what I thought, I mean the pairing process is one, but just wanted to be sure as the OP sounds as if this is a MUST in order to pair the BT device.

Thanks.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Amen. Would also be nice to get rid of the AM/PM from the clock. I have yet to be confused if it's AM or PM regardless of indicator. :)

And no need for the battery icon, if the % is shown.

On the other hand, BT symbol can definitely be bigger/clear when connected.
Exactly, there is no need for both battery and battery percentage, let the user decide which one or both.

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
You can rearrange those icons so that the NFC icon is on the second page, for example. Then you won't have to see it.

alexcapone

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
You can rearrange those icons so that the NFC icon is on the second page, for example. Then you won't have to see it.

I am referring specifically to the status bar. Not the advanced settings from the notification tray. Even if NFC is moved to the second page of the advanced settings it will still show up in the status bar.

Whiskey619

May 14, 2017
Visit site
You should definitely have the option to show our hide any of them. It should be like the notifications area on the Windows taskbar.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You should definitely have the option to show our hide any of them. It should be like the notifications area on the Windows taskbar.

Well, Windows on mobile probably wouldn't have a problem with notification bar real estate... you know, since there aren't any apps, there are no notifications! :) BOOM!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37